2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

2.8 lwb 4m40 inner sill

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy1966

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 0:36    Post subject: 2.8 lwb 4m40 inner sill Reply with quote

hi guys just bought another 2.8 4m40 pajero after running a shogun sport for abit looking under it today i noticed the inner sills are looking abit worse for wear does anyone know if theres anybody doing the replacement /repair panels for them the rest off the truck is spot on and drives really well with no issues i want to get this sorted then i can get it all undersealed cheers guys
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 0:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

assassin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

How bad are they and can they be repaired.

If its surface rust and they are not penetrated, merely thinner they I would suggest the following:

Get some Bilt Hamber products as they are British and work.

Deox gel, apply this thickly over the rust and build up to around 3mm thick and cover with cling film and leave overnight, wash off with a scrubbing brush and water with a little car shampoo in it, avoid washing up liquid as it is high in salt.
get 1 litre of their epoxy primer and a small pot of rust convertor, paint the rust convertor over the stripped areas and put this on very thinly and let it dry, apply another coat and let this dry.

Mix a small amount of the expoy primer and prime the entire outside of the sill and let it dry, apply a further coat and let this dry and you can wet flat and put a couple if colour coats over this.

For the insides of the sill you thoroughly degrease it using BH degreaser and let it work, wash it out with a hose or jetwash and let it dry, get a two cans of BH Dynax S 50 and you get the lance free with every 2 cans you buy, insert the lance through the grommet holes and apply the S 50 to the insides of the sill, this self heals and is applied as a mist and is attracted to the bare metal and costs it and you may find it may need a second coat.

You can do both sills and have them like new.
Andy1966

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi its onlly the rear part of them on both sides about ten inches each side
right at the back closest to the wheels is the worst part it hasnt gone through yet but dont think it will too long before theres a hole in it ive already cleaned it and applied some rust treatment the rest of the sill looks ok just surface and seem pretty solid i did expect to have to do some work on it underneath the good news is the chassis is solid pretty good for a nearly 30 year truck the body work is perfect with no rust at all overall im pretty happy with it thanks for the advise assassin ill give that a try ill keep you posted cheers
assassin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it needs welding Andy I would make a decision and do this first and ideally welding the rear section with a repair panel is easily done and once done it can be treated and last for years.
Andy1966

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ive had another look at it im thinking about just cutting out the bad bits now and getting it properly welded  like you said i intend to keep the for along time the rest of it is spotless i think its going to be better done properly now so it will last and i dont have to worry about it
cheers assassin ill let you know how it goes when i finally get time to do it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: