QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Looking for my first Mitusbishi, and have questions!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Newbies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimbob23

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:35    Post subject: Looking for my first Mitusbishi, and have questions! Reply with quote

Hi all,

Been looking at purchasing a 1999-2007? Shogun Sport as a cheaper daily driver than my current Silverado.  I read through the before you buy article, but just trying to get a feel of general running costs/maintenance.  I consider myself to be above average in DIY repairs (currently on my 3rd home Auto Box rebuild)

Probably going for a 2.5TD manual, i am aware that 2005 and earlier are half of the road tax, but have a couple of more questions if i may:

1. What are spares availability and prices like? It seems even headlamps can be expensive?
2. I do all my repairs at home, what jobs cannot be done without special equipment? (like dealer level scan tools etc)
3. I am assuming that jobs like cam belt can be done DIY, guide mentions Mitsubishi approved process? what it this?
4. Are there any things specific to this model i should check out in particular.
5. I am assuming these vehicles are generally ultra reliable and simple, would i be generally correct?
6. Is chassis corrosion a big thing on these vehicles?

Anything else i should be aware of before i go hunting?

Thanks
Jim
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

cbrdave

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you mean the 4d56 2.5td engine.
Most parts can be sourced through europarts, milners or mitzibits.
Rear chassis can suffer a little so can the chassis under radiator.
Engine can be reliable if serviced regular, they are known for head gaskets and bottom end problems.
Crank pulleys can delaminate.
Don't expect masses of power and speed, it has a 5 speed gearbox and seriously needs a 6th gear.
Engine can be tractor like and is happy being kept low revs and just trundling around.
Most owners I have spoke to get their ecu remapped for better fueling and usability.
Cambelt can be done on drive,
The balance shaft belt can let go and take Campbeltown with it,
My L200 shares the same Engine and I had to get a rebuild due to bottom end going,
4months later the bottom balance shaft seized, shredding all the teeth off the belt, I cut it off and runs fine with out it, thankfully cambelt was OK.
Mpg wise I was getting around 28mpg with the Shogun Sport, 26ish with the L200.
alanymarce

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience may be of limited help however hope it's useful. I had a 1990 Pajero and currently have a 2016 Montero (Pajero=Montero=Shogun).

1. What are spares availability and prices like? It seems even headlamps can be expensive?

I've never had a problem, if I ran into one I'd look at amayama.com after exhausting UK suppliers. The headlamp on the newer models is indeed very expensive, however far more reliable than in the past, and I believe that those on the model you're considering are simpler and cheaper.

4. Are there any things specific to this model i should check out in particular.

Our only problem (in 7 years) has been a 4x4 sensor failure and a headlamp "black box".

5. I am assuming these vehicles are generally ultra reliable and simple, would i be generally correct?

Where I live they are considered robust and reliable. As noted, we've had only two issue in 7 years with the current one.

6. Is chassis corrosion a big thing on these vehicles?

Zero problems in our experience (South America and Australia) - however in areas with high industrial pollution and salt exposure I believe that rust is a concern on all vehicles - I don't think Mitsubishis in general are any worse than other brands.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Newbies All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: