eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Strange motor behaviour

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Per748

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 22:58    Post subject: Strange motor behaviour Reply with quote

I have a 2010 3,2 DiD auto which have developed a strange behaviour.
When driving around my homeplace, with several stops at
junctions and roundabouts it now and then looses power. It feels like when the ASC cuts in on slippery road. Even when floring the accelerator pedal nothing happens for the first 50 and sometimes 2-300 meters before the motor starts to pull. Then it pulls like normal again. When this happens, its not possible to have above 2000 rpm.
Driving on open road, it pulls like normal.
After having this behaviour I took the car to a long and relatively steep incline. I had about 40 km/h in the bottom, and floored the pedal. When passing 140 on the speedo i had to brake due to other cars. Yesterday I also did an acceleration test from stand still to 110 on the spedoo. Clocked in at 12.8 sek.
Today I had to tow a trailer, about 6-700 kg. up to mountain cabin. Lot of inclines, and no problem of keeping 80-90 km/h, fuel consumption was 12-13 l/100 km.

When the behaviour occured, thought it might be the fuel filter, and replaced it. The one I replaced was barely fitted, so I was hoping that i might have been the reason, but no.

One thing I noticed when using the priming pump, was that it did not became hard, just a bit firmer to push. When it became firmer i could hear fuel going back to the tank when I pushed the pump.

When I primed the fuel system after replacing the tank, I remember it became hard.

Have anyone else in this forum faced similar behaviour or have an idea of were to start ?

In the manual on the web, there are no specific scenario for the behaviour. I will get a diagnostic tool to check for eventual error codes or bad readings from some of the sensors.

By the way, the motor lamp is not lit.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 22:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

SteveMilner

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

First posted about it here:
http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=169623&highlight=

It occasionally happens and I've no idea what causes it - Touch wood, not happened for 18 months.
AnielaBrown

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

a very interesting anomaly and it is hard to diagnose because it is rare.
Per748

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I should share an update on this.

The motor behaved spottes during winter/spring, but as soon as the weather became warmer the issues with the motor shoved up again.

In the last couple of weeks it happens quite often as soon as the motor start reaching normal temperature.

When driving the same round, and the outdor temperature was in the range of 17-24 deg. C (this years summer temperatures her in Norway) it happened at almost at the same places, and was repeatative.

this lead me to think it must be temperature related.
The solution in the link below pinpointed the source of the strange behaviour.
The problem description in the links is exactly the same as I experienced :

NT Pajero wont accelerate - Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum
https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/forum/vehicles/generation-4-2-pajero/61307-nt-pajero-wont-accelerate/page2

When the behaviour occured, I put the A/T gearbox in manual and forced the engine to around 3000 rpm. This forved the EGR valve to fully. Lose and the Trottle Butterfly to fully open, and the motor started tu pull again.

By fitting the famous 4.7k resistor, the EGR valve is now allways closed and the TCV is allways open.
When I’m driving the same round in the same outdoor temperatures the motor behave normal.

I have monitored EGR target and actual, TCV, APS and fuel target/actual with an iCarsoft CR MAX.

What was strange is that EGR seemes to close and TCV seemed to open as normal when the strange behaviour occured, and I floored the pedal.
One either the EGR and/or the TCV must be sticking in open and/or closed position respecitvely, even if CR MAX indicated that everything seemed to operate normally.

Anyway, the car now behaves normal again, and feels mote responsive. And best of all, EGR is closed all the time.

Still I think I will try and clean up the EGR valve.
If anyone of you have done it, is it an easy job ?

By the way, the inlet temperature went from 20 to - 6 deg. C when the 4.7k resistor was fitted.

Again thanks for all the knowledge beeing shared in this Forum.

Chers
Per
Per748

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hei again.

Cleaned up the EGR valve today.
It was not that clogged by gunk, neither was the part of the intake that was possible to see. Maybe 1-2 mm thick.

I disassbled the valve an cleaned the valve and the seat.
There is a snug fit between the valve stem and the guide. Guess it is to seal off the valve chamber from the actuator plunger.

The picture below shows the valve and actuator :
Click image for larger version

Name: IMG_4111.jpg
Views: 0
Size: 114.2 KB
ID: 1134278

Click image for larger version

Name: IMG_4112.jpg
Views: 0
Size: 76.1 KB
ID: 1134279

After cleaning the valve stem and guide, the valve was a little bit easier to open.

Since the actuator and valve is not mechanically locked together, the valve may stay in open position when the actuator goes to closed position. And stil indicate normal operation.

I guess this was the case for me.
Also found this video with a Pajero having the same symptoms as I had :

How I fixed the LACK OF POWER in a Mitsubishi Pajero
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=saCFayECzRg
Andrew from Mechanics 2 U explains how he fixed a mysterious lack of power in a customer's 2007 Mitsubishi 3.2L Pajero.The scan tool was showing that the Paj...

Per
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: