Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Pajero/Montero NL Blister Fender gen 2.5 Shock Absorber disc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
symmetry4wd

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:54    Post subject: Pajero/Montero NL Blister Fender gen 2.5 Shock Absorber disc Reply with quote

Hi all,

So like many of my threads, I would like to open up a discussion for a topic I have struggled to find definitive answers for online, and in other threads.

I have a 1999/2000 NL Pajero 2.8TD LWB (gen 2.5 blister) and am looking to upgrade/replace my current tired shock absorbers.
I have Nissan Patrol Springs in the rear 3"/75mm lift, and Ironman HD Torsion Bars front wound up around 40mm+-.

As many of us know, and for those that don't, front suspension travel on the IFS Pajero/Montero gen 2 is extremely limited and bound by the bump stops. Very difficult to safely gain more travel here without serious modifications.

With this is mind, my focus is to increase the articulation and travel of the rear axle/suspension. The limiting factor for rear suspension travel on our Gen2's/2.5's is the shock absorber and brake lines.
From my research and understanding, even 2" lift specified longer travel shocks in the rear, i.e most pajero lift kit shocks, still leave room for more travel if an even longer shock was used.

For the front I am planning to use standard length: 345mm (13.6") Max Length - 225mm (8.9') min/compressed Length - 120mm (4.7") stroke shock absorbers, as extra length won't matter because of our limited travel. geometry and bump stops.
Very likely Bilstein 4600 series monotubes (maybe even KYB or Koni), or TJM/OME/Ironman etc twin tubes because of availability. (in South Africa where I am, options like Kings, Fox, etc are not readily available or affordable)

For the Rear I am looking to use longer length (longer Travel) shocks over the standard: 457mm (18") Max Length - 297mm (11.7") min/compressed Length - 160mm (6.3") stroke shock absorber.

From what I have seen, for instance Terrain Tamer shocks, shocks for a 40mm lifted pajero in the rear are: 478mm Max - 308mm Min.
31mm longer max length, 11mm min/compressed length.

Is it safe to assume the rear shock needs around 30mm more length per 40mm of lift to gain extra travel based on the above?

My questions is this:

What is a good length shock absorber for the rear of the Pajero to gain max articulation and travel, without binding, or the shock coming into contact with the chassis???
(having longer brake lines installed and the sway bar removed, bump stops made to suit and spring retainers).

I have seen various threads on other forums of Pajeros using Toyota Hilux, Toyota 4Runner or even Nissan Navara shocks for long travel rear shocks.
Does anywhere have info or experience with this? and if so, what year model/chassis model Hilux etc shocks work?

I would really like to get some solid answers here and any help or advise would be super appreciated!
Thanks!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: