QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

3.2 DiD stalling when warm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fourbears

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 18:56    Post subject: 3.2 DiD stalling when warm Reply with quote

Hi folks I have a 2004 Shogun 3.2 DiD auto which has the 4M41 engine (I think). When warm it will not idle and you have to keep pressure on the accelerator to keep it running. From cold it turns over a few times before coming to life too so I was wondering if the fuel pump is faulty or whether there are other less expensive things that could go wrong. I've looked through the forum and it seems that the idle might need relearning but since it will not idle I can't do that. I am going to see if the EGR is gummed up  - possible as it has only done 77k miles and mainly local shortish journeys. Anything else I should check before condemning the pump? I can't scan for codes as I don't have a scanner that can connect with the ECU through the 'OBD' port as this model has 'MUTT'?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 18:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

icehawk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you checked filler pipe and breather pipes behind plastic cover rear wheel arch as tese can rot out and let water sit into tank and on to pump causing damage,i would fit new air fuel filters and check fuel in fuel filter for any water or small particles,just tip fuel into a clear jar and any sedement/water will settle at the bottom of the jar,you could like you say check egr valve and give it a clean and see how it goes.
Fourbears

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked them and they are not complete and rather rusty. So I guess that water is in the fuel so a drain of the tank and new pipes filters etc is on the cards!
drew m

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers crossed it hasn't damaged the fuel pump
Drew
Fourbears

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so new pipes fitted, fuel tank drained and replenished with new fuel, fuel filter changed and it was running nicely when cold. As soon as it warms up it stalls so what else could it be? Or is it new fuel pump time? The pipes were well and truly rusted - the breathers non-existent and the main filler about to go the same way.  If it’s the pump where is the best place to get a refurbed one?
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

THis sounds like a temperature issue and I would suggest looking at this before going to the expense of a new pump.

Look for the temperature sensors and check their wiring as they sometimes split inside under the insulation and you cannot see it.
I would also check the sensors for resistance and check they are within their specified range as if not they give the ECU faulty readings.
Fourbears

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok folks the pump was knackered as were the fuel filler pipes. In fact they were non existent apart from the main filler pipe. Changed the filler pipes and have put in a recon pump (well it was apparently). It now starts and idles but smokes badly. Really badly and the engine is a bit lumpy. I think I may have got the pump timing slightly wrong as there were no marks on the pump wheels as the manual shows. I put the pump gear in the same position as the one I took off but maybe I have it slightly wrong. Question is which way do I turn it? Any suggestions on how to go about it gratefully received.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: