eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

New owner of Pajero io TR sporty - LRXU2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Starting / running issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parfy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 23:19    Post subject: New owner of Pajero io TR sporty - LRXU2 Reply with quote

Hi all,

I’ve been eyeing up a purchase of a Pinin / Pajero io for the last few years and finally took the plunge last week. Picked up the io - 1.8 bid turbo 4G93T (seems relatively rare?) for a good price at auction - I live in the UK by the way. Great condition body and interior, little rush, engine bay mint etc, was very excited when I won it. That was until I pulled out onto the main road.

Idle wells, until little amount of throttle runs ok. Any sort of load on the throttle it really struggles and basically dies a bit of a death. Given it a service with new plugs etc, any advice of what could be causing the issue would be massively appreciated before I go on a wild goose chase. Have some ideas from some bourse searching the net / forums to start though.

New to all this 4x4 stuff, looking forward to getting into. Just looking at it makes me happy! Tried to add a couple of pics but seems I cant, perhaps because I’m new.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 23:19    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Parfy

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 20:18    Post subject: If it helps anyone Reply with quote

Seemed to be an issue with the high pressure fuel pump. Wasn’t able to source a used one online outside of getting one from Russia and new ssmeend to be £1000+. Purchased a similar model from another 1.8gdi and rebuilt mine and followed this guide, sanding the plates inside. Seemed to have fixed it. Can’t post the link as don’t have enough post history. But if anyone thinks it would be of use to them then let me know and I’ll send on.
iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never saw your original message, but symptoms sound very like a blocked inlet micro-filter in the high pressure fuel pump - a common problem with a quick and cheap fix! See the "Micro Filter time again!!!" thread and especially my recent posts from April (with links to photos).

Also my 2020 investigation thread "Alternate cause for P0190 fuel rail pressure loss?" where I thought for a long time the symptoms on my 3.5 GDi pointed to something else other than the 35 pence filter!
Parfy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for coming back - I haven’t been on here for a while. It’s not the filters unfortunately. I’ve taken the pump apart and re-built it, including the filters with no joy. Well i say no joy, it is running better but is still throwing codes..!
iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

What codes are reported?

The problem could be fuel flow or pressure.

Have you verified the fuel pump embedded in the tank is operating correctly? I'd be tempted to put a flow meter in-line in the low pressure pipes just ahead of the high pressure pump to check.

I assume that like the 3.5GDi this engine has a high-pressure common rail? If so, check the high pressure sensor is not faulty (it could be telling the ECU there's high pressure when there isn't). It's mounted at the 'far end' of the common rail. I suspected this part originally and bought one but in the end never needed to use it.
Parfy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

iam_TJ wrote:
What codes are reported?

The problem could be fuel flow or pressure.

Have you verified the fuel pump embedded in the tank is operating correctly? I'd be tempted to put a flow meter in-line in the low pressure pipes just ahead of the high pressure pump to check.

I assume that like the 3.5GDi this engine has a high-pressure common rail? If so, check the high pressure sensor is not faulty (it could be telling the ECU there's high pressure when there isn't). It's mounted at the 'far end' of the common rail. I suspected this part originally and bought one but in the end never needed to use it.

I’m getting p0170 and p0190. Fuel pump in the tank should be ok, that has been replaced - as has the high pressure sensor (although I’m going to double check that one!).
iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the codes mean:

Quote:
P0170 Fuel Trim Malfunction
P0190 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction

I usually start with ensuring the electronic side is good by doing continuity/resistance tests between sensors and the ECU pins they connect too. It's a bit of a pain since it requires removing the centre console around the gear shift levers to get at the ECU, but (in the LWB) that is only 8 screws and a couple of plug/socket disconnection. An extra-long fly-lead wire with crocodile clips on either end to extend the multimeter reach and you get peace-of-mind knowing there is (or isn't!) a decent connection.

If you can rule that out then you've got 2 devices to tackle (again). Easiest is the high pressure sensor on the common rail. If not there, then in the absence of any other evidence - and unless user 'assassin' here has some special knowledge on other causes - it looks to be the high pressure pump.

In a previous comment I think you said you removed it and replaced BOTH micro-filters? I'd be tempted to at least check and replace anyway the top filter since it is easy to do in 20 minutes. Failing that you've got some more serious problem in the pump Sad
Parfy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

iam_TJ wrote:
So the codes mean:

Quote:
P0170 Fuel Trim Malfunction
P0190 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction

I usually start with ensuring the electronic side is good by doing continuity/resistance tests between sensors and the ECU pins they connect too. It's a bit of a pain since it requires removing the centre console around the gear shift levers to get at the ECU, but (in the LWB) that is only 8 screws and a couple of plug/socket disconnection. An extra-long fly-lead wire with crocodile clips on either end to extend the multimeter reach and you get peace-of-mind knowing there is (or isn't!) a decent connection.

If you can rule that out then you've got 2 devices to tackle (again). Easiest is the high pressure sensor on the common rail. If not there, then in the absence of any other evidence - and unless user 'assassin' here has some special knowledge on other causes - it looks to be the high pressure pump.

In a previous comment I think you said you removed it and replaced BOTH micro-filters? I'd be tempted to at least check and replace anyway the top filter since it is easy to do in 20 minutes. Failing that you've got some more serious problem in the pump Sad

I just wanted to update this with a resolution and to say thanks for your help. I managed to source a new HP fuel pump which has resolved the issue. It’s a different model to mine (it was a MD367150) but has the four connections on the top as mine, which seems to be somewhat unusual. I had disassembled and cleaned my HP pump which did make a massive difference to the car but there was obviously something still awry with it.

Onto the next thing, working out which wire does what on the back of the Speedo so I can connect a converter!
Jhon4444

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The new owner of the Pajero iO TR Sporty - LRXU2" refers to an individual or entity that has recently acquired ownership of a specific variant of the Mitsubishi Pajero iO, often referred to simply as the Pajero iO. Here's a breakdown of the details:

- **Model:** Pajero iO TR Sporty
- **Variant Code:** LRXU2

The Mitsubishi Pajero iO is a compact SUV that was produced by Mitsubishi Motors. The "TR Sporty" likely indicates a sportier trim level with specific features and design elements. The "LRXU2" is likely an internal code used by the manufacturer to denote this particular configuration or variant of the Pajero iO.

When someone mentions being the "new owner" of a specific vehicle model and variant, it means they have recently purchased or acquired that vehicle. Ownership might involve purchasing from a dealership or a private seller, leasing, or any other means of obtaining legal possession of the vehicle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Starting / running issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: