2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Shiny particles found inside fuel tank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rogerhase

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 21:17    Post subject: Shiny particles found inside fuel tank Reply with quote

Hello everyone!
My name is Roger and this is the first time that I enter in this community. I bought my 2002 3.2 DID PAJERO a month ago. Aside from some fault codes for which I will open another post in the future, I had a look today inside the fuel tank and I have seen some shiny particles at the bottom. I read that those come from the deterioration of an inner layer coat in the tank. And that this problem needs to be addressed or I will end up with a very expensive injection pump repair.

I was thinking on two possibilities:

To add a good supplementary fuel filter like Donaldson or delphi. And a small magnetic prefilter.
So the setup would be: tank--- original Mitsubishi prefilter---delphi/Donaldson prefilter---magnetic prefilter---BOSCH main filter.
Hopefully that is not going to restrain excessively the fuel flow.

Or the other possibility would be to remove the tank, clean it somehow with a strong chemical  in order to remove the galvanized layer that is deteriorating and use and change good filters every 10.000km.

I would really appreciate if any of you with some knowledge of this problem could share some advise.

Thank you very much for your help!!

I've tried to post a photo of the inside of the tank but apparently photos are not allowed.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 21:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first problem is with the fuel tank filler pipes which corrode and rust through and this debris falls inside your tank, secondly any corroded pipes allow water and other debris into your tank so begin at the beginning.

Go under the wheel arch of the fuel filler side and remove the plastic protection cover and this exposes all the fuel filler pipes and the ventilation filter and you need to examine them fully for corrosion and any holes, if the filler pipes are intact they need cleaning and painting with a good quality paint to prevent corrosion, once painted they need covering with a good treatment such as Dinitrol to prevent corrosion and you also need to check the small pipe which goes through the chassis and snaps and lets all manner of debris into the tank.

Next remove the plastic tank guard as this often holds lots of abrasive muck between the guard and the fuel tank and this eventually abrades the tank and it wears through, remove every second cover fixing and replace with a nut and bolt to hold the tank in position while you remove the plastic tank guard then put a large container under the tank and drain the fuel, run the drained fuel through a filter made from the wife or girlfriends stockings placed ofer a large funnel and this will fetch the larger particles out. Spray the inside of your fuel tank with a good degreaser and allow it to work and flush it out with a hosepipe and allow it to dry, refit the drain bung abd strain your fuel again and put it back into your fuel tank.

Paint the outside of your fuel tank with a good paint and coat with Dinitrol or similar as the tanks go thin at the filler nozzle and on the side of the tank next to the wheel and they need all the protection they can get.

Remove the diesel filter and replace with a new one and bleed and start the engine.;
Rogerhase

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first of all thank you very much for the time you spend trying to help me and others. I really appreciate it.
I am going to follow your advise and check the pipes and also cleaning the tank inside and outside and protect it from corrosion.
I still don't understand though how I'm going to prevent those shiny metallic particles. They are obviously not result of corrosion or oxidation cause they have a shinny metallic color.
As I understand they are the result of the galvanic inner coat coming off. So even if carefully clean and degrease the inside of the tank, this coating is gonna keep coming out with time no?
Anyway thank you again. Will post how this goes.
assassin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend this product;

https://bilthamber.com/product/gas-mac/

Not sure on the shipping to Spain but worth a look.
digger32

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 22:17    Post subject: Re: Shiny particles found inside fuel tank Reply with quote

Rogerhase wrote:
Hello everyone!
My name is Roger and this is the first time that I enter in this community. I bought my 2002 3.2 DID PAJERO a month ago. Aside from some fault codes for which I will open another post in the future, I had a look today inside the fuel tank and I have seen some shiny particles at the bottom. I read that those come from the deterioration of an inner layer coat in the tank. And that this problem needs to be addressed or I will end up with a very expensive injection pump repair.

Take the tank off, drain it and put it inside an ultrasonic cleaner

To add a good supplementary fuel filter like Donaldson or delphi. And a small magnetic prefilter.
So the setup would be: tank--- original Mitsubishi prefilter---delphi/Donaldson prefilter---magnetic prefilter---BOSCH main filter.

Or the other possibility would be to remove the tank, clean it somehow with a strong chemical  in order to remove the galvanized layer that is deteriorating and use and change good filters every 10.000km.

I would really appreciate if any of you with some knowledge of this problem could share some advise.

I've tried to post a photo of the inside of the tank but apparently photos are not allowed.
digger32

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 22:18    Post subject: Re: Shiny particles found inside fuel tank Reply with quote

Rogerhase wrote:
Hello everyone!

Take the tank off, drain it and put it inside an ultrasonic cleaner

assassin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get all manner of things inside a diesel or indeed any fuel tank as by their very nature they contain fuel which is transported and stored by various means and you have to assume everything is clean and it isn't. Crude oil is transported to a refinery where it is cracked and then either refined into, or transported to another refinery to be refined into a specific product such as petrol or diesel and it will have something called an additives package added and you have the final product and again this is transported to regional storage usually in huge quantities by train and again it is stored in huge storage tanks where it is transported by road to the fuel station of your choice and you have to assume that every tanker either road or rail is clean, every storage tanker at regional storage is clean and that every fuel station tank is clean and believe me they aren't.

To begin with most lorry road tankers are multi use and transport a mixture of diesel and petrol to petrol stations so all the storage compartments are slightly contaminated, they also transport other fuels such as Avgas which is aircraft petrol and Jet A1/2 which is standard aircraft fuel types and generally they stop away from the airport and connect the tanker to a dedicated fuel feed line connected directly to the airport fuel storage facilities and these were connected to the lorry pump which is open until the pipes are connected and the pipes themselves simply lay open on the side of the fuel tanker and are open to any rain, sleet, and snow as well as any airborne dirt of in wet weather the dirty spray thrown up by vehicles.

Now at every stage there is contamination and if the fuel tankers transport heating oil there is more contamination and if they transport to businesses with their own fuel pumps or farms with their own fuel tanks which is most of them then often they are off road on often dusty tracks which introduces more contamination and if they have what are called open breathers then they are mesh overed open pipes and if the storage tanks are steel theyoften corrode and erode from the inrushing fuel as the tanker offloads and all this is pumped into your vehicle whan you fill up.

When I had petrol stations we cleaned our tanks every 5 years and a below ground 50,000 litre tank would have approximately 300Kg of contamination slurry removed and around 400L of water fetched out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: