QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Oil in intercooler 1996 2.8td pajero

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caseyj

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 21:21    Post subject: Oil in intercooler 1996 2.8td pajero Reply with quote

Been out today putting new glow plugs in as remote start would no longer start it on cold mornings. When I removed intercooler it has oil dripping out of it. I had new exhaust manifold few months back and had the turbo off and it seemed OK then . No smoke while driving , no rev over run. Slight whistle noise sometimes when acceleration happens. Had intercooler and turbo piping all smoke tested for leaks but all good.
Any one gets any ideas what it could be please.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 21:21    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

caseyj

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any one got any input on this. Or is it best just going new turbo???
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,, I think they all get a little bit of oil in the intercooler. Give it a clean out and check it after a few days. I pour petrol in mine and give it a swish about. Have to make sure all the petrol had evaporated before you try and start it again.
caseyj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some acetone coming to give it a clean. It's more than a little oil 😒 it's alot
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really need to assess the quantity and time taken to fill it, clean it out and see how long it takes to fill up and with what amount of oil.

Your most likely suspect is the turbocharger bearings shot and allowing a lot more oil through; but equally it could be the turbo oil drain back to sump clogged or restricted, and restrictions in this pipe will impede the flow and the turbo will throw it into the intercooler; similarly the oil feed pipe is also restricted and if this restrictor has moved or been removed it will allow too much oil into the turbo and it will be blown into the intercooler.

To check the turbo you need the air feed to intercooler pipe off and check the turbo impellor with the engine switched off, start the engine and let it idle for around 1 minute and check it again with the engine IDLING so it has oil flowing to the turbo and there should be no play with oil flowing.
You dont need a new turbo as they have a removeable cartridge and this is reconditioned and fitted into your housing and is much cheaper than a new turbo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: