2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Shogun mk3 3.5GDI Stereo and trip computer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> ICE / Radio / Sat-Nav / Alarms / Key Fobs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mirage21

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 16:18    Post subject: Shogun mk3 3.5GDI Stereo and trip computer Reply with quote

Hi all I’m new here so please point me the right way if this is posted in the wrong place. I’m sure the question has been asked before. I have a 2003 SWB 3.5GDI Shogun and have installed an aftermarket stereo. I set the trip computer to read miles to empty before disconnecting the original stereo. Is there a way of still being able to switch between mpg and miles to empty with the aftermarket stereo?
Thank in advance.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 16:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 19:40    Post subject: Re: Shogun mk3 3.5GDI Stereo and trip computer Reply with quote

Mirage21 wrote:
Is there a way of still being able to switch between mpg and miles to empty with the aftermarket stereo?

Short answer - no. There is a proprietary data/control channel between the display head unit containing the display and the OEM media controls.
Mirage21

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought as much so set it to the function I want and then remove the stereo and install the new one?
iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but - I seem to recall that if the battery (or fuse) is removed for any reason the settings will need reconfiguring. According to the 2003 Electrical Wiring Supplement, page 3-374 ("Center Display or RV Meter <R.H. drive vehicles>") pins 7,8,17,18 (connector D-06 (MU801585) pins 1-20) on the Center display are connected to the Radio and CD player on pins 21,22,29 30 respectively (connector D-144 containing pins 21-36) and I ASSUME these are the data link.

I've had plans for a long time to reverse-engineer these links but not had opportunity so far. From a design perspective these 3-wire links are likely simple serial interfaces - maybe RS485 or RS232 ( see https://www.virtual-serial-port.org/article/what-is-serial-port/rs232-vs-rs485.html ) and so in theory might be on the easy end of the scale to determine and replicate the command sequences.

The automatic air-conditioning controls, DVD Navigation, and CD auto-changer all probably use the same communications method to the center display.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> ICE / Radio / Sat-Nav / Alarms / Key Fobs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: