Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Pajero V20 2.5 engine shaking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KarlGustav9

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 20:31    Post subject: Pajero V20 2.5 engine shaking Reply with quote

Hello

I am new to this forum and also from Estonia so sorry if my english is a bit bad. I have a gen 2 Pajero with a 2.5 diesel engine. My rear main seal was leaking so i decided to change it myself. With the rear main seal i also changed the clutch set, clutch slave sylinder and the transfer case mount (it was broken in teo pieces). After i put everything back together i noticed that my engine started chacking during idle. The shaking started when i pressed the clutch down and put the first gear in. I tried supporting the engine with a jack during idle and the shaking away. After this i changed the motor mounts and the shaking is still there.
I am now out of ideas, is there anything anyone can think of that could cause this issue?
Is it possible to put the transfer case mount on incorrectly?
I also noticed that the cranckshaft pulley is throwing a bit like its out of centre posission.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 20:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

radiomike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tere õhtust

The front pulley is a torsional vibration damper and consists of an inner hub and a heavy outer ring joined by a rubber interface. The rubber deteriorates over time and it is possible for the outer ring to fly off and cause serious damage.
While you are at the front of the engine also check that the balance shaft belt is in good condition, it can fail and end up breaking the timing belt. Bear in mind the balance shafts have to be timed correctly in order to work properly.
KarlGustav9

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the reply!

I took the V-belts off and started the engine without them, there was much less vibration during idle. I ordered a new crankshaft pulley.
Also i took the old pulley off and had a look at the belts under the belt cover. I only found one belt? I have read that the balance shaft belt delete is a common thing on this engine, but should i consider putting a new belt back on? There usually is a reason for the delete.
radiomike

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly you have to ask yourself would Mitsubishi have designed and fitted balance shafts if they thought they could get away without them? A 4 cylinder inline engine is essentially out of balance due to the pistons not being halfway down the cylinders when the crankshaft is at 90 degrees from top dead centre. This results in the cylinder block trying to jump up and down, the traditional ways of absorbing this out of balance force is to use angled engine mounts which allow the engine to jump up and down or by using a Lanchester type balance shaft system.

The drawback with the Mitsubishi system is that a failure of the balance shaft belt can result in timing belt breakage and the bearings for the balance shafts can wear and cause noise.

If you were happy without the balance shaft system then hopefully replacing the front pulley should get rid of the vibration that you have had recently.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: