2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

superselect ll $WD system fault - blinking centre diff light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tui

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 16:55    Post subject: superselect ll $WD system fault - blinking centre diff light Reply with quote

Hi All.  I havnt posted for a while but have been reading plenty and enjoying the assistance which has been given.

I need some advice re my Shogun Superselect II, 4WD system which has just stopped working and went into fault mode,  with the centre diff lock light illuminated and blinking, indicating there is a problem.

My car is a 2017, LWB shogun V98S, 4M41 engine, 62,000 miles. owned since new and serviced regularly.

Listed below are all the things Ive done to try and correct the fault but nothing seems to have worked.  It looks like my next step is a Mitsubishi dealer to diagnose and rectify the fault, which I know is going to be financially painful.

My main question is point no 8.

If you think you can help please read on and reply if you can.  If you cannot help thanks for looking. 

Tui    PS  I cant figure out how to attach a picure  Embarassed

For clarity, and ease of reply I will number my issues.

1.  I regularly (every 2 weeks or so) engage the 4WD system just to give it a run and make sure the system is working and it does what its supposed to.

Just last week I had engaged 4HLc and when coming out of this mode to go back to 2H, all the 4WD lights went out, and the centre diff lock light began flashing indicating there is an issue.

2. I went on to the forum and looked up similar issues and searched videos on the internet, and got a lot of information in an attempt to diagnose and cure the fault.

3. The engine is producing a strong vacuum which is reaching both 4WD solenoid valves (located just under the air filter housing.)

4. I have confirmed there is power getting to both solenoid valves.

5.  I have taken out both solenoid valves and applied 12v to each which can clearly be heard clicking.  I am unsure however whether the are passing the vacuum on as they should. could one of them be leaking?

6.  I have inspected the actuator which the solenoids operate and it seems to be working, ie when the yellow trace vacuum hose is connected, the actuator extends and pushes on the rod which operates the freewheel engagement mechanism attached to the front wheels.

7.  When the actuator operates it pushes the Mechanism in towards the front diff, but it only seems to move about 5mm whereas the actuator travel (when it is disconnected) is about 25mm.  -  See photo

***8.  I am wondering is this engage/disengage mechanism working properly or is it stuck?  Should it travel more than about 5mm to do its job and if so how do I unstick it? ***

9. Since I have been checking this issue the traction control light, and the traction control off - warning light,  have now become constantly illuminated, in addition the blinking centre diff light.

10. I even went to the electrical connectors at the rear of the transfer case and scooted them with contact cleaner, but to no avail.  The problem persists.

11.  I am wondering if the 4WD ECU may be the issue???

11.  As a last resort I have just ordered new solenoid valves from Milner Off Road, and although I am unsure if this is the problem, I will fit them when they arrive.  After that its book it in to the dealer and risk financial destitution.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 16:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be misreading but your description seems to be focusing on the 4WD actuator but the warning lamp is for centre diff lock?

If there is a problem with the center diff that may inhibit the system commanding 4WD.

What, if any, fault codes are reported?
Tui

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there and thanks for the reply.  Apparently the centre diff light is the default light for any problem with the system.  When it starts to flash it indicates an issue.  I have a cheapie autotool OBDll code reader but is is not detecting any faults or producing any codes.  I suspect a more advanced device may be required.
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple question.

When you come out of 4HLc do put the selector straight into 2H or do you go through each step and let it engage in each stage before moving to the next stage.
Tui

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi assassin and thanks.   I am always careeful to go through each step sequentially, letting the SSll do it's thing before moving to the next . Tui
Tui

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:53    Post subject: ***Problem Sorted*** Reply with quote

***Problem Sorted***
Hi All.  I managed to get the problem of my 4WD superselect ll, sorted (well at least temporarily).  If you are having the same issue in your mk4 shogun then this might be worth a try. I dont know if it is the same on earlier models.  Sorry for the lack of pictures but I dont know how to upload them yet.

As I said previously,  a friends diagnostic tool indicated it might be one of the five switches on the transfer case that was causing the issue of the display showing a flashing orange centre diff lock light, and both traction control warning lights to come on. 

First of all I unplugged the three connectors on the rear left of the transfer casing, that are easy to get to, and squitrted them with contact cleaner before reconnecting the plugs.  There are another two connectors on the top rear right of the case that are much harder to get to, so I had to loosen the supporting crossmember (4 x long bolts) and drop the transfer case down a bit to get access.  I also unplugged and squirted those plugs with contact cleaner too, then reconnected them and put it all back together, but to no avail.  The problem was still there.

As a last ditch attempt, and having seen it on u tube, I removed the plastic connector from the rear of the 4WD actuator (a black plastic casing, full of cogs that pushes a steel shaft into the transmission case), and with the transfer select lever in 2WD, and the automatic transmission in neutral and the engine off,  applied 12v to the two pin plug attached to the actuator.  I could hear the actuator moving into the transfer case.  I then reversed the polarity and could hear the steel shaft moving out of the transfer case.  I did this two or three times with the thought that perhaps one of the swithces was stuck, confusing the system and causing it to throw a wobbler.

Anyway, i reconnected the plug, started the engine and to my surprise it worked.  All the warning lights went out and Ive got my 4WD system back again.

So it seems like one of the switches was causing the issue.  As a precaution I order all 5 switches off ebay (£50) and have got them in hand for the time if and when the problem re emerges.

This seemed to work for me and might be worth a try.  Thanks for looking at my post and I hope the above may be of use to someone. Again sorry for the lack of pictures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: