Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Misfire cured with Super Steel! (3.5 GDi)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 22:47    Post subject: Misfire cured with Super Steel! (3.5 GDi) Reply with quote

Plastic Padding's "Super Steel" two-part epoxy came to the rescue today, curing a Cylinder 1 misfire that had been intermittent for a week or so.

Check engine and fault codes would sometimes not be triggered but at idle the engine was jumping about like a horse with fleas due to the misfire!

Today I removed the throttle body to get to the plugs expecting something serious. On removing the coil pack, which has a long thin stem that plugs onto the spark plug, there was a very obvious pin-hole in the insulation at the bottom end of the stem where it flares out to enclose the spark plug head. The misfire was caused by the current arcing through that  pin-hole and across the air gap to the engine body (ground).

I used a pea-sized portion of Super Steel epoxy to flow and surround the pin-hole and after it had set (about 5 minutes) re-assembled the engine.

Been out on a couple of trips today and it has been perfectly behaved; this may not be a permanent fix but it certainly is a quick stop-gap whilst I source a replacement coil pack.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 22:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had another fault occur recently this time on cylinder 3. Same issue - the 'leg' or stem had a pin-hole burned through. I made the same temporary repair as last time.

However, this time I discovered the leg can be replaced without replacing the coil pack as well - the leg pulls out of the coil pack. The replacement is part number 1832A019 that I got as FEBEST MCP-005 for £20.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: