eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

mk2 pajero not starting after fitting injection pump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew2210

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 16:17    Post subject: mk2 pajero not starting after fitting injection pump Reply with quote

hi,

recently i took the fuel injection pump off my 94 2.8t pajero to fix a leek. when i refitted it, it wont start. i had the engine at tdc and aligned the mark on the IP with the T mark before reinstalling it. i also fitted a new fuel filter. i have bleed the system using the white horizontal plunger on the side of the filter and filled the pump until fuel came out of the return line. i also left the injector lines loose and cranked the engine until fuel came from them too.

i did not take the pump apart in anyway so the timing unchanged. (it was a small Oring at the block side of the pump that was leeking)

before all this it started first turn of the engine every-time.

is there anything i may have missed or done wrong that is stopping it working.

ps all glow plugs work and the relay works also.

thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 16:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

If you are confident that the timing is ok it would point to air in the system. Check every fuel pipe connection. All the jubilee clips, the leak off rail pipes, the seals on the filter including the copper or aluminium washer on the bleed screw. the O"ring on the primer pump. Assuming it is a LWB, on top of the fuel  tank the metal fuel pipes corrode where they connect to the rubber pipe. You can access the top of the tank from the rear floor, there is a removable plate. Probably a good idea while you are there to replace the pipes  with new front to back. from memory 8mm for the flow and 6 mm for the return (check on here using the search

and maybe worthwhile checking this :

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=169048&highlight=tdc
Andrew2210

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice. i have now got the engine started. i realised i had it at tdc on the exhaust stroke, oops. however, when it starts now it is very rough at idle, and it has alot of grey/white smoke coming out.

i have checked over the fuel lines and fuel filter and everything seems ok. is there something im maybe missing. i am confident it is on the correct mark as i can see it through the hole where the Power steering pump goes.

any thoughts on what i might be missing?

thanks
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Hope you got it sorted by now, If not I would see if you can contact mark broad on Facebook, (there is more life on Mars than here these days). he is the expert on timing. In my experience they will run with just one tooth out? If you are confident that the fuel system is ok it  seems like the timing maybe the issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: