Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

engine noise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marvint

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 18:52    Post subject: engine noise Reply with quote

HI,

I am from the Philippines and I have a 98 Pajero
Evolution with 7000 km
milage. I have a problem that when I left my car
unused for 3 months the
next time I used it I heard a ticking noise from the
egine and it doesn't go
way even though the engine is already warm. I
consulted Mitsubishi
Philippines technical personels, they said it is the
valve lash adjusters so
they replace 12 of them but after that the noise was
still there so I ask
another opinion from another Mitsubishi service
center they say that I will
just have to use my car and the noise will just
disappear. Can anybody give
me an advice on this if anybody has a solution for
this kindy sahre it with
me I really need help badly.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 18:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Stuey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:05    Post subject: *bump* back to the top Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I have no idea, and your this post has slipped off the bottom with no response.... so.....

Any technical experts able to help?
cyberstace

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:22    Post subject: Sticky Valve? Reply with quote

You could have a valve or two sticking if you have not used your car for a while. This should indeed disapear when you use the car more regularly, you could try adding some fuel additive that will remove carbon deposits from the valve stems.

Due to the mileage of your Evo (7000Km) I thought that there should not be that much carbon build up on your engine. But then again if you have only driving it short distances and not given it a good thrashing, carbon may be yor problem.
gix883

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there on 7000km i wouldnt have thought its gonna be anything major,
Im unfortunatly not familure with the evo engine but do they have hydraulic lifters or even semi hydraulic?????? the reason i ask is hydraulic lifters are notorious for back draining when stood up for a while and valve open. So these sound very clattery apon start up and only quieten when engine is reved up at normal engine oil temp. If this is the case then using it more regular would improve things for you.
One other thing make sure genuine oil filter is fitted as i think evo's have a little valve in the filter to stop to muchoil draining back.
I could be way off the mark here but find out if tappetts are hydraulic or semi hydraulic and i think thatyl be all it is.
marvint

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tappets are hydraulic and about the fuel additive should I try it or try flushing the engine with engine flush to loosen out the deposits inside the engine
marvint

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tappets are hydraulic and about the fuel additive should I try it or try flushing the engine with engine flush to loosen out the deposits inside the engine
allan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on, before you put any stuff in the engine, there is a way to quieten them down, and it is an official Mitsubishi cure.
Unfortunately, the exact ( and it has to be exact) sequence of events escapes me. Its to do with revving the engine in a certain way.
I am sure if you look on the Australian Pajero web forum and ask the question there, someone will give you the answer. Thats where I read it a few months ago.
There should be a link to them on the useful links page on the main POCUK site page.

or click here http://www.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/

Good luck

allan
Borsty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 13:25    Post subject: Engine 6G72 or 6G73 and 6G74 Reply with quote

Hello
First apology for my bad English, but I comes over the www.4x4travel.org forum and the Mr. kp, wierus and wolf on your forum. The engine, if it concerns a V6 has hydraulic tappets. The tappets react after long service life with knock even if the engine are warm. To help one can only by changes to a light oil, which distributes itself again faster in the system. The noise occurs also with my engine, which stands occasionally for a very long time. Otherwise one can go also to a workshop from Chrysler or Dogde. The engine is the same. I hope to be able to help despite my bad English.
Greetings from Switzerland
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: