Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

checklist if you have black smoke on pull away decelation

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark.bass

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 22:12    Post subject: checklist if you have black smoke on pull away decelation Reply with quote

I have written this post following a lengthy fight with my paj which had heavy smoke problems that subsequently turned into diesel knock.

I fitted a egr blanking plate problem solved but i had to get to the bottom of the reason why.

I went through the process of clening the egr then  eliminating parts by replacing all with origanal equiptment parts to no avail.

The last  fault process was to get a vacuum gauge and check the solanoids at the rear of the intercooler.

I connected the vacuum unit to the pipe that leads to the egr and found the vacume was pulling off the scale therefore fully opening the egr valve all the time.  On a test drive the guage still read the same no matter what revs or speed so with the help geoff i tested his to find that the egr solonoids are supposed to control the vacuum rate according to accelater position/revs.

Now, there are 2 causes for this not being right.

Firstly, blocked or partially blocked pipes to egr/solanoids
Secondly the solonoids are defective

There is a easy way to detect this problem...

If you disconnect the egr rubber vacuum hose and drive for a few minutes -  once the car is at running temp, if you have no smoke or little smoke  then it is probable that the egr vacuum presure is wrong due to said pipes being blocked or faulty solanoids.  This is assuming the egr is not stuck open due to being dirty.

Now the procedure is easy to resolve by cleaning the pipes out with an air line. If that doesnt work then the vacuum pressure needs to be checked.
It should read at zero vacuum when cold and when heavy accelerater use is present, (ie flat out),  in between these points the egr vacuum  differs being at the most when decelerating from high revs, (ie when taking your foot off the throttle).  If this is not the case then the solonoids may need replacing... this is what i had to do.

Sorry for the long winded post but i wanted to give you the full picture on this

below is a checklist for very smokey paj/shoggie with egr fitted

1 change all filters
2 dirty/contaminated fuel needs to be ruled out
3 egr dirty and requires cleaning
4 egr vacuum pipes blocked
5 egr solenoids fualty
6 injecters not funtioning correctly
7 pump timing out
8 pump has been messed with ie turned up following sva /mot emissions test

I hope this post helps all with smokey pajeros or shoguns  and maybe other cars with the egr fitted engine.

Any advise needed give me a shout as i have followed this egr thing for a while now.

Thanks to all that helped with this problem in the past and to graham for the new solenoids and the blocked pipework part.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 22:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

matt m

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mark

does this mean you have now unblocked the egr and no more black smoke???????
mark.bass

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does indeed mate all sorted now and it was so simple after many hour work Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes thats why i posted this as not many poeple tell you to check the slonoid /vacume presure and this cost virtully nowt to check i still have the guage if any one is local that wants it checked seems to run smother gear change seems diffent as well at tast so far show the oil guage down on temp by 5 deg and seems to lower following decelaration quicker but this is not confirmed yet as its been cooler out side so may be down to that longer tests are required to substatiat this
JayCee
Events rep (Ireland)
Events rep (Ireland)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Mark ...

Excellent post ..!

I also used a vacuum gauge to check out mine , had it laying about from my
petrol head days .

JayCee
graham kemp

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

good post mark Very Happy ,hope she is running well now hello1 hello1 hello1
i got down to no 4,and found a blocked vacum pipe after i had brought a new egr(second hand),then i went for a egr solonoid which also not needed Embarassed (which mark now has Smile so im about £60 down for a egr valve Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad so well worth doing it in this order for cost wise
mace

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:32    Post subject: egr blank - to fit or not to fit Reply with quote

cleaned out the egr valve with hp airline as it was only lightly covered with soot and then fitted the blanking plate etc. The car goes ok but just does not seem as good as before. Having read this post I'll go back to the standard arrangement eg no blanking plate. Incidently the consumption has been dead on 21.9 ever since I've had the car on every tank full (18 months) - it jumped to 22.4 on this last tank full after fitting the blank.
PoCUK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Mark Wink

Post moved to 'EGR Valve Q&A'.

Simon
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: