Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Radiator Flush

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Technical FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trig

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 0:15    Post subject: Radiator Flush Reply with quote

I need to flush the Radiator... the owner's handbook has a drawing that shows TWO draining taps!! A front tap below the Radiator (EASY to get to!) and a second tap somewhere behind (seems difficult to get to!!)...

- Is it sufficient to drain the radiator through the FRONT drain only Question
- I heard you can wash/flush the radiator using SALT & water Question

If salt is a daft idea, there is ofcourse ready Rad. Flush products!

- would one litre of Rad. Flush be too much to use Question

You may have guessed already that I never flushed a radiator before, and you are quite right Embarassed

Any other advice (based on own experience!) on doing this seemingly simple job will also be appreciated Wink
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 0:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Trig

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add that a I did a SEARCH on this forum and the following post has good info on the topic: http://www.pocuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1078

However, it doesn't answer my questions Sad
howmad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trig

I did a complete engine flush on mine about a month ago and the water was looking very brown and dirty.
All i did was undo the tap on the bottom right hand side of the radiator as you look at the car and let all the water drain out. I refilled it with clean water and run it for 10 mins and did the same again but the water was a bit cleaner when i drained it for the second time, the only thing is the engines have a cast iron block so whatever you do to flush and drain it, it will be dirty within a few weeks again.
I never bothered with radiator flush for this reason but it might get a lot of the dirt out that water alone will not do.
Never heard of using salt before but im sure some peps on here will put you right.
I dont think 1 litre will be to much because you have only got in in there for a short period of time.
I put 3 litres of antifreeze in to mine then topped it up with water.
Hope this helps you a bit.

Murdo
Trig

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Murdo... Very Happy ... Will give it a try... leaving the salt out!
JayCee
Events rep (Ireland)
Events rep (Ireland)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trig,

I wouldn't put salt water in my system, salt corrodes.. the point of most coolant mixtures is that they are anti-corrosive.

As I mentioned in another posting, to really clean the system it is best to flush the heater matrix seperately. i.e....disconnect the feed and return pipes to the heater system ..hose pipe in one ..heater controls set to hot..
(Ignition may need to be on depending on how your heater switchs work)
and keep going with the water until it runs clear. you might reverse the direction of flow a couple of times to really be sure . reconnect the pipes,
and refill with a proper anti-corrosion coolant mixture.

Also, TOP TIP: Park the Paj somewhere you don't mind getting several gallons of hot rusty water spilling out ... and dont wear sandals.. Laughing

Regards
daveh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:29    Post subject: flush Reply with quote

had big prob with mine 2 colours of a/freeze looked oily, anyway drain from rad, behind the turbo from the underneath is a drain plug for the engine block, pig to get at, unscrew this, swine to get back, flush with water from hose in rad and fill up.( not the plug on the block where the bulge is thats oil gallery but the 1 above)
Trig

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again, just done my first Radiator flush!! Worked on the easier front drain plug (piece of cake Very Happy)... Flushed with running water using a hose pipe! took the car for a spin! Flushed again filled with water and a flushing fluid!, another drive (with aircon ON).... flushed again and filled with AntiFreeze and added a Rad. Seal fluid! ... just in case Smile

...and changed the Radiator cap,... dont know the results yet.... shall monitor the coolant level and texture over the coming week.

Only thing I would like to add to the above wise words from fellow members... if you do this "simple" job, make sure you have time and be patient... I wasn't and I got minor burns (undoing the drain plug!) Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Technical FAQ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: