eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

L200 Speedo reads mph mileometer read km

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> L200 technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaybagshaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 13:27    Post subject: L200 Speedo reads mph mileometer read km Reply with quote

Hi all,
Last year I Bought an L200 form a local dealer, a couple of months ago I went on holiday, so I plugged my sat nav in and of I went,
My sat nav show mph which coincided with my speedo however my mileometer which states mph was reading differant basically 1.7 miles to every mile I done which I learned was kilometres.
I have been back to dealer who after weeks of messing me around ordered a new clock face, on its arrival he phoned me and told me that it was the same as the one fitted?
It seems strange to me that even though my clocks state mph it s working in kilometres, obviously this will make my car look like it has done more miles than it has.
I look forward to any advise any one can give me.
Regards
Jase
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 13:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

bigt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing that springs to mind is that you have a `grey import` L200 that was built originally for a KM market.

My Strada (L200) was built for the Japanese market so the speedo read Km and the distance clicked over in KM. On SVA in the UK the speedo face had a small sticker reading MPH put over the KM and the speedo cable has a small box fitted to the cable on the gearbox cable output - call it a mini gearbox - about the size of a ciggie packet. This converts the turning of the speedo cable to MPH. So now my speedo reads in MPH and clicks over in MPH - have tested it with another car following whilst talking to other driver on a mobile and set off a few GATSO cameras....

To pass a SVA test the speedo must show the speed in MPH - how distance travelled is recorded is not part of the test - ie travelling at an indicated 62MPH but recording 100 units (KM)

Hope this makes sense - if not send a PM
ali

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi...have you still got the new/old speedo face...????...as mine still reads kph not mph....cheers ali....
Alaric

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 ways to comply with the SVA requirements:

1. Gearbox to alter the drive to the speedo, change km to miles on existing face. The benefit to this is that the distance will read in miles. The downside is that it is very difficult to know what distance the vehicle has covered in it's lifetime.

2. Fit a complete new face to the speedo without altering the drive. The needle points to the same place it has always done, but the reading is now in mph as well as kph. The distance meters remain unchanged and still read in kph. It's a little annoying at first, but once you get used to it is nice to know how far your car has driven in its life.

I think this makes sense, but it is late at night...

Alaric.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> L200 technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: