Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

EGR valve blocking in pictures!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trig

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 21:44    Post subject: EGR valve blocking in pictures! Reply with quote

Hi all, in reference to the latest posts regarding blocking the EGR valve [ http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3957 ]... I'd like to thank our wise fellow members for their feedback and advice Very Happy ... I (eventually) had ago myself and did this simple task... (simple when you know how Wink ).
*Warning: Where I am using my Pajero, blocking the EGR valve and its effect does not fail the MOT!

If you plan to have ago yourself, first read the wise words of our fellow members in the link above (the photos below show the EGR valve in a 2.5TD engine! shouldn't be much different in a 2.8TD):

Here it goes:
Before you start, it makes it easier if you remove the small pipe going into the top of the EGR valve and the AutoTrans. dipstick out of the way

1- unbolt the two bolts (size 12) facing the auto trans dipstick (Photo 1)
2- Once loose use one hand to completely unbolt, ... use the other hand to stop the metal gasket falling of behind the EGR valve! (Photo 2)
3- Once the long bolts are out, remove (slide) the metal gasket out and give it a clean (Photo 3)
* If you want to remove the valve completely and give it a good clean, then you need to unbolt two more bolts below the valve... not impossible but it takes more time (which I didn't have) so I left those untouched... there is enough gap between the EGR valve and the inlet to do the job!
4- Have a drink (mine was Pepsi Smile )... using the metal gasket outlines on a piece of paper, creat your blocking metal sheet (Photos 4 & 5)
5- Wrap a clean cloth around a long thin screwdriver and give the "gap" between the valve and the inlet a good clean... lots of black tar there!
6- Place the blocking metal and the original gasket in the gap! (Photo 6)
nb ... if you are using the PoCUK blanking plate, you do NOT need to replace the original gasket!
7- Bolt and place the autotrans dipstick & valve pipe back!

Have a spin....  Very Happy

I did and defintely the black smoke has reduced marginally... the Pajero pulls better... but I am yet to judge the long term effects...  Smile

Photo 1:

Photo 2:

Photo 3:

Photo 4:

Photo 5:

Photo 6:
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 21:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

JayCee
Events rep (Ireland)
Events rep (Ireland)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Trig,

I see your Paj took the Pepsi taste challenge... Laughing

Please buy a 2.8 so I can leave my brain totally unplugged while following your excellent tips..

Top Class stuff .... As Usual..

Should go straight into the Technical FAQ section. Exclamation

Joe
Stuey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pajero 2.5/2.8 and Delica 2.8 fitting instructions :

Mystery Machine wrote:
Sorry for the delay in getting these published, it was only the other day I managed to get my hands on an L400 to take piccies! (many thanks to Astra for the use of her nice new ROYAL!!  )

If these instructions seem a little patronising, please be aware that I wrote them for people with virtually no mechanical knowledge!!  

Firstly you will need either a 12mm spanner, or a 12mm socket (the socket makes life a lot easier! - but then I'm lazy!!)

The EGR valve is located in the engine bay, indicated here by the GREEN circle.....

Using the 12mm socket/spanner, undo and remove the two bolts circled in RED

With the bolts removed, pull the EGR valve away from the manifold. It will only move a few millimetres, but enough to remove the thin silver gasket from the gap. Insert the new blanking plate, (shown in YELLOW ) making sure the holes line up with the bolt holes.

Now insert the bolts, do up by hand and then tighten well with the socket/spanner. Also shown here in BLUE & GREEN is where the valve had already been disabled by pulling off the vacuum hose and blocking with a metal pin. This can also be done, but doesn't guarantee that the mod will work because the valve might be stuck open already, allowing the gasses to pass still. The only sure way to do it is to insert the blanking plate.

Job done, wash your hands, have a cup of tea, congratulate yourself on another mod for the motor and get in and drive the thing......

Regards,

Bruce.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: