QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

What do you think about ...

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / etc - non-technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Make access to the 'technical' and 'tech FAQ' forums 'registered users only'?
Yes - it's a good idea
51%
 51%  [ 100 ]
No - leave it as it is
38%
 38%  [ 75 ]
Not bothered either way
9%
 9%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 194

chubwa

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the first site i found when looking for tech help and as yet i haven't thought of looking for any other.
Membership pack would be great though.
A previous site i was a member allowed you to log on a interact for a month then if you liked what you saw you had to pay a small fee to continue accessing anything on the forum
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 22:04    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

PoCUK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK ... I'll be tidying up this thread a bit in order to keep it back on track, so the comments below may appear a bit out of context, but here goes anyway!

Please may I remind you all of the original question?

Quote:
What do you think about ... ... making the "Technical" and "Tech FAQ" forums viewable only by registered users ... ie you have to be registered and logged in even to browse?

No mention of money, or club subscriptions or 50:50 splits ....

I would just like to know how people feel about making some of the information in the forums only accessible to registered (logged in) club members?

Simon
ToonTitan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simon,
I've cast my vote....to leave it as it is, only because my ideal solution isn't an option above.

I only came across this site while raising a search through Google for a tech issue that I needed an answer to, and a relevant POCUK thread came up, and although not directly answering my question, led me to expolre further until I did find the answer.
If I couldn't have accessed the Tech answer, I would have continued searching elsewhere on the web until I did find an answer (possibly on an alternative 4x4 site)

There are many pro's and con's regarding membership fees, but that isn't the question here. Stopping unregistered users though accessing the Tech forums will undoubtedly mean less people joining, as most web browsers are sick of sites trying to gain database info, and this will be seen by the uninitiated as just that.

However, this is where I am split Shocked

How about this: Idea I think access to the Tech FAQ should be universal which will allow a taster of the most common issues and will probably lead to registration of those who have the ability to contribute further, but to contibute to the main Tech forum should be for registered users only (as per the Private Ads forums)

Well, that's my tu'pence worth Exclamation
more x 4
Shining Star
Shining Star

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

tidy as you see fit simon,but i think this thread has shown that people are thinking and has thrown up all sorts of ideas Wink
Eriba

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may upset a few but, I’m afraid it’s membership all the way for me, even if it was made subscription only I wouldn’t mind. I have three websites, subscribe to two hosting companies and one is free with my isp (internet service provider).

If owners of Mitsubishi’s have any interest, or desire to learn more about their vehicle, then what’s wrong with becoming a member.

I am proud to be a member of such a great community, of all the members that take an active part I have not found one, to be rude, or sarcastic in any way, lets keep it that way.

Power to you Simon and all your administrators your all a credit to a great website.

Phillip
GeoffL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted to keep things the way they are for the following reason:

When I started looking for a better towcar, I assumed that a diesel Disco was the way to go. However, there were enough reports of corrosion, cambelt, and gearbox issues on the landie forums to make me ask twice. Even on the landie forums, the advice was to buy Japanese if you wanted reliability.

Taking heed of that advice, I started looking for Japanese machines. Although there were cars to be had, there didn't seem to be the peer support that landy owners have. Then I found POCUK and realised that I'd found a car with Japanese reliability and a peer community to rival LR. From that point on, we were having a paj come hell or high water.

So, if it wasn't for POCUK I would not now have a Pajero - and would not be a member. Although I signed up for club membership before getting the paj, that was after extensive research through the technical forums. If I'd have been denied that pre-signup access, I would not now be driving a Pajero and would not be a member. I feel that, if you restrict viewing of those forums to registered members only, you risk losing potential members who want to "try before they buy".
ToonTitan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoffL wrote:
I feel that, if you restrict viewing of those forums to registered members only, you risk losing potential members who want to "try before they buy".

Hear, hear thumbright
PG Scooby
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra
Location: Eastbourne, 'Suntrap of the South' & final resting place for the many!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted to make it subscription before I had finished the first page, now I'm not so sure. The site is an on-line community, like nothing I've come across in all the time I've wiled away trawling for info on the net. But it's more than that, it's like a friendly club where EVERYONE wants to know you and EVERYONE wants to help (if they can).

I read a lot of posts, and I've not yet seen an abusive (except in fun) post and so maybe there is no reason to restrict access. Previous opinions are quite right - if someone's interested in getting a Paj they want all the help they can find. If they buy one they'll probably join, if they don't (and obviously don't enjoy driving!), they'd not bother with the site anymore.

I think the most important question it "do we want to give Simon more work to do?", and the answer is of course "no".

Simon, I don't know you but you must have such enthusiasm for this incredible forum to put in so much of your time. Don't make yourself more work - you've got to drive the Paj sometimes.

Keep it up, you do a great job.
Chastiser

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

imo, leave it as it is.

for me, as a new joiner, who was intending to buy a paj, i found the site very useful. now, i join on line stuff quite happily, but do know that others are more hesitant regarding this.

some may peruse the site as a guest, get what info they need and then fade away. others will join as they want to take advantage of the more in depth stuff on here such as events. surely its better to let those that just want to information gather, do their stuff and be properly informed, and then go away. much better than to inflate the membership with those that have no intention of contributing?

perhaps its the events sections and such that should be only visible to members only?

just my two zloty's worth

Mike
javan

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a new paj owner i can say this site is by far the best i have come across and i am hooked i find my self driving along or even at work and i think about clicking though the forums just to see whats new i am online every knight!!! you guys rock!! its the feeling of a welcoming comunty that sucked me in ask any question and somone will reply every time. asking users to join will only make them click off not get there criedit cards out to a site they know nothing about leave it alone it works!!!!!!!!
matt ps

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think you should stick with what you have got!

People may think that if you cant look at any information without registering as a pain in the backside, but if they are allowed to view what they need then maybe they will join and if there isnt what they need then they can register and post, i think this way you will get more people registering and posting rather then just registering to see one thread and then not coming back.

Just a thought........

Matt
bhrkp1
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that this is a little old now but I've only just seen it.

I think that the club should stay as it is, free to all, Since Simon has put the paypal button on the top of the page if you feel like paying to wards the running of the club you can. I have and will continue to do so once a year or when I've got some spare money.

I do like the idea of a menbers pack and would gladly pay for one, as I think most of us would, even newbees once they get used to the club and start to feel part of us.

Keep up the good work Simon and long live POCUK Exclamation
steveinstoke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:26    Post subject: membership Reply with quote

whilst i think the technical information was given freely and there fore should not be sensored this site has saved me loads of time and money and i would gladly pay a small fee for member ship i am atotal pc pleb !! ive got photos of the paj i cant put on the site cant find the check out for yellow diamonds would love a fancy avatar but dont know how to do it !! this club is net based and very few paj owners are aware we exist the village i live in has probaly 50 + pajeros in it as there is a importer (park lane cars ) in the town but every owner i speak to is unaware of this club perhaps an add in the 4x4 mags and a subscribed news letter might be the way forward to encourage new non www. members and add to the revenue of the club
steveinstoke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:33    Post subject: simon Reply with quote

by the way simon you are a star !! your dedication to this club is second to none well done this is my most visited site and ime a mini enthusiast really the paj is a new obssesion to me but because of this forum and the enthusiasm and tech knowledge i visit it daily
PoCUK
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:28    Post subject: Re: membership Reply with quote

steveinstoke wrote:
...perhaps an add in the 4x4 mags...

Done that ...

£350 a pop for a half page in (for example) What 4x4 & MPV ... and judging on the new membership take-up (the 'join the club' form has a "Where did you find us" box) - the online membership is barely affected by Mag ads ...

steveinstoke wrote:
...and a subscribed news letter might be the way forward to encourage new non www members and add to the revenue of the club

Thought hard about that too ... I really want to reach the 'non-internet' (potential) membership out there ... but without subscription, it just doesn't add up ...

Ignoring the few days it takes to compile a (worthy) newsletter ... let's say that the non-internet side of the community was 25% of the internet based community - they would ALL want a newsletter as it would be their only way of keeping in touch with the club ...

2500 newsletters to produce ...

because of the dynamic nature of the club, I guess you're talking a monthly newsletter - to keep abreast of events, get feedback on technical issues etc ...

let's say it takes 1 minute to print, envelope and address a single newsletter and costs 10 to print, 5p for an envelope and 30p for a stamp ...

2500 minutes a month = 42 hours solid - 1 working week a month - just packing envelopes!!!
2500*45p = £1125.00 a month = £13,500 pa

If I was to pay an office assistant minimum wage to do it on my behalf, you're talking arounda fiver an hour (min wage) .... another £210 a month ... if you could get anybody to do nothing but print newsletters and stuff envelopes for 42 hours solid a week without a break!!!

I guess then you're looking to use a third party service, where you drop off the newsletter and the distribution list and pay them a fee per item ... who knows the cost?

Or ... I guess there's a final option ... we tie-in with one of the 4x4 mags?

Ideas on a postcard (PM) please!

Great ideas ... and they would work well in a smaller club ... but I need my thinking cap on for this!

ps ... thanks for the great feedback ... I don't always get it 100% right and some people don't always agree with what I do ... botom line ... I try to do what's in the best interest of the club community Wink

Simon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / etc - non-technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: