eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Siezed Brakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparklelard

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 13:25    Post subject: Siezed Brakes Reply with quote

Has anyone got a step-by step faq for re-furbishing siezed brake cylinders.

My offside rear seized on - with a vengance - today.  I had to get my paj recovered as it wouldn't budge an inch.
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 13:25    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

cornishman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem as I had a little while back. The garage stripped the caliper after getting a refurb kit, but then found the rust had penetrated the piston bore too deeply for a refurb.
I ended up, after picking myself off the floor after a Mitsi dealer quote, posting my request on www.thepartsgateway.co.uk for a rear caliper and Dalcrue Salvage came back with a guaranteed good caliper. Worked a treat for £40 inc postage.
sparklelard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's rusty, but I think the dust seals have gone and it's full of rubbish.
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PeteMillis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

This often works:
Lift caliper up.
Lift rubber dust boot with screwdriver and spray in a load of penetrating oil (WD40, GT85 or similar) to flush *beep* out.
Squeeze piston in with a big pipe wrench.
Pump piston back out a bit with brake pedal (have a second person to watch so you don't pump it out too far).
If piston won't budge in or out, rotate it using a mole wrench, relube, rotate, squeeze in, pump out.
Repeat.
This usually works - and costs nothing except perhaps half an hour of your time.

Pete Millis from Brighton with the once sticky and now slippy piston..
sonic-1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 18:08    Post subject: brakes Reply with quote

Shocked  Shocked  never ever use wd40 or penitrating oil it causes the seal rubbers to swell causing piston to stick , only thing is a good silicone lube it wont damage the rubbers
PeteMillis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooeerr - better keep me fingers crossed - so far me rubbers seem alright and GT85'd the piston last winter to unstick it. I wonder if it's ok because I only used the GT85 the clean the *beep* out then lubed the piston with my silicon spray? I have got another part that gets very swollen on a regular basis and I've never sprayed GT85 on it.....

Pete Millis from Brighton, with bits not currently swollen...
wrc

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol  Laughing
sparklelard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you use copper grease instead of the silicon?
sonic-1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 22:01    Post subject: brakes Reply with quote

no cooper grease contains oils n normal grease as a base so will expand n rott rubber to
only thing that wont affect rubber is silicone grease , all brake calipers r built usein this stuff
i found this out the hard way my self , had seized brake cleaned caliper with wd40 still was stiff so striped it out to clean , once all clean whent to reassemble to find all rubber parts had grown n wouldnt fit , so got rebuild kit n old bloke at the parts shop said go to plumbers shop n reasemble with silicone grease as it wont swell the rubber
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: