Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Which size wheels ... 15" or 16"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McNasty

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 21:46    Post subject: Which size wheels ... 15" or 16" Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a 96 Pajero, Chasis No. V46 which has 16" Chromed alloys on. The alloys which initially looked terrific are peeling and are looking a really shoddy. The cost to have them sand blasted and re-done appears to be far too expensive to consider. I have been told that my Pajero Model requires 16" alloys because of the Brake Disc size. This is a real shame because I have been offered a set of Toyota Surf 15" Alloys which are in fantastic condition. Can anyone advise me regarding the need to have 16" wheels or can I safely use 15" ones.

Thanks

Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 21:46    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Richie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romax UK

Unit 4, Ross Rd, Stockton-On-Tees, Cleveland TS18 2NH
Tel: 01642 619196

they will tidy yours up, samday job
Pajero Man Dan

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as i am aware the brake disks are the same size, my 3500 which is a 96 one is the same disks as my 3000 which is a 92 what you do need to do tho if you drop a wheel size similarly if you get bigger wheels you need to keep the rolling circumference the same other wise it puts your speedo out and additional strain on the transmission. a 16 inch wheel with 70 priofile tyres is the same size as a 15 inch with 75 profile tyres, etc, its a balence, that way then your fuel is not effected either. bigger circumferences take more out of the car at low speeds to get them rolling, whilst smaller wheels become less economical at high speed because they have to turn faster.
hope this helps
oh and Surf wheels might have to have the centres bored out to go over the hub, i think the pajero hub is bigger...
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Zodiac: Capricorn
Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smurf ones won't fit and yes they need redrilling for  the PCD
Some V46's had the bigger disc fitted and came standard with 16" rims
HTH
ahalton

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 22:43    Post subject: Wheels Reply with quote

Come on Nick you giving duff info again, from what I remember the PCD is the same as the top bloke above you said its the centre bore thats different.

Andrew
nobby
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELCOME TO THE CLUB McNASTY Very Happy
tazbabe
Events rep (Scotland)
Events rep (Scotland)

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHED
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome meight Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
McNasty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the advice and your 'welcomes'.

It looks as though I'll just have to 'suck it and see' with the wheels. If my Paj has got the bigger brake discs then it's a no go. If push comes to shove I'll try the re-furbish route. At the minute my truck has 16" wheels with 265/75 tyres on. It seems that in order to keep the speedo accurate etc i'd have to put 265 (or similar)/80's on. As usual nothing is simple !.

Many thanks
Pajero Man Dan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, one other point i remembered last night, if your Paj is like mine and has the LSD in the axel then you must run the same size spare. 1 profile out over 20 miles will wind the LSD up so much it will blow the LSD apart cos it constantly thinks its going arround a bend,the diff has one side trying to go faster than the other,  ive done enough in this way on my rally car..makes for some interesting driving tho!!!! (oh and by the way LSD = Limited Slip Differential, for those who only know it as a drug)
if you do decide to go the 15" route,or with new,  im interested in your old 16" wheels  Very Happy
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
McNasty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 0:56    Post subject: Spare ! Reply with quote

Thanks for that Dan .... Checked my spare and sure enough it's a 15". I'll have to get another as a spare. I'd have been most cheesed off if the LSD had blown. If I get new ones and the old 16's are surplus I'll give you a shout.

Cheers .......  Smile
Pajero Man Dan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

no worries mate,
ive done a couple so i might as well save some1 the expence!!!
hell  what are fellow owners for!!!
need owt else give me a holla
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: