QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

2.8 SWB ATF fluid change - definitive answer!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ybod69

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 14:35    Post subject: 2.8 SWB ATF fluid change - definitive answer! Reply with quote

Ok,
done to death probably, and from what I can see it's a case of "put back in the amount that comes out". I have a 93 2.8 swb and want to change the ATF fluid, thing is, the manual that I have with it says it takes 8.7 litres !!  Shocked  I see the 2.5 is listed as something like 3 or so. My question is this then, does anyone have any other confirmation that this amount is right? I find it bizarre there is such a big difference from the 2.5 to the 2.8

if someone can confirm this is how much, I'll put it in, but from what I can see the level is about 4 inches above the marker points  Shocked   Shocked  
My mind is boggling. I presume normal stuff for a motor factors will do ? As long as it meets or exceeds the spec in the manual...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 14:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

squeek
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluid needs to be dextron II (2)...

The reason for small amounts is most of the fluid stays in the torque converter, i can normally get about 2.5 ltr's out...

As far as i know the 2.5 & 2.8 are similar, it's the old versions that hold much less...

The other way to do it is to take off the bottom hose from the cooler and use the box to pump the fluid out, i have not tried this yet and would imagine it to be fairly messy..

I just do more regular changes, it's easy to do and the fluid isn't that expensive... But then it really depends on the condition of the fluid taken out...

The fluid needs to be checked with the engine running and just after you have been through all the gears, there is hot and cold marks on the dipstick...
ybod69

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Squeek, I'll check with the engine running then......

cheers,
Tim.
timbershifter

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only sure way to get all the old AFT out of the2.8 is to remove the cross member under the gearbox and then the gearbox bottom plate. Messy and time consuming and you will also have to replace the gasket. I have heard of draining the box via the cooling hoses to the rad but havent tried it so cannot comment. It would appear to have merit though.
Having read the threads most people find that by draining via the drain plug and refilling over a period of time will eventually change all of the oil.
None of these solutions would appear to be ideal so ultimately the choice is yours. What is unanimous though is the use of oil, Dextron 2 or better.
Cheers. Paul Laughing
cavecommander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine has engine running hot and engine running cold marked on the stick.. the engine does have to be running and the "put back what comes out" is bad advice.. check the levels properly..

trog
Brownie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

trog100 wrote:
....... the engine does have to be running and the "put back what comes out" is bad advice.. check the levels properly..

Better to say "use the amount that comes out as a guide to how much you put back in!" Wink  Very Happy
squeek
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason i alway's say put in what you take out is the first time i did mine, i dropped it into my big drain, then i put in two thirds of the capacity stated by haynes thinking that was a good start and that was far too much...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: