Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Vehicle choices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / etc - non-technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2 rocks

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 13:10    Post subject: Vehicle choices Reply with quote

In the interests of cultural exchange!

Now, I've only been around this forum a (very) short while, but it seems to me from what I've read, the Paj in its many forms is a very popular vehicle in the UK.

What I'm wondering is, what sort of a following do the venerable LandCruiser and Patrol (Safari Question ) command over there?

Certainly here, they are god(s). And rightly so, the "real" fourbys available with a solid front axle and therefore decent front articulation appear to have dwindled to about 4 - the 'Cruiser, Patrol, Defender and Wrangler (oh, maybe the F250?).

There is a grudging respect for the Pajero, but the numbers used in anger are relatively low (compared to Toyota and Nissan). The Paj is lumped into the medium bracket, along with the Terrano/Pathfinder, Jackaroo/Trooper/Bighorn, Cherokee and Prado etc. Although the highly capable Prado diesel with its extra sub-tank makes it a great tourer here. Wink

So, is there a strong following for the Cruiser & Patrol there? ...And do they get them dirty?

Mike
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 13:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

ukrabbiter

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm...
the LandCruiser IS the Prado  Laughing

just as Pajero IS Challenger/Montero/Shogun  Wink
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ahalton

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 13:28    Post subject: 4x4 Reply with quote

The Land Cruiser is the best by far, if you get the 4.2td it would be hard to find a better 4x4.

They are just so expensive.

The Nissan is the poor mans Cruiser and the engines over here are not great.

You have to pay £5995 for a 1991 Land Cruiser in average condition or £1500 for a Pajero, which are you going to go for  Confused

Andrew
2 rocks

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKR
Not down here it aint! Aaaah, marketing!

In common parlance over here, a Landruiser is a LandCruiser (40, 45, 47, 55, 60, 62, 70, 73, 75, 78, 79, 80 or 100 series).

A Prado is a Prado.  Wink Just Toyota's belated (1990's on) effort to regain the mid-size market from the Pajero.

Mike
2 rocks

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew
Interesting...I was in a yard yesterday with a mint '88 2.5TD import for A$5000. A local compliance shorty (if you could find one in good nick) would probably be about A$1500...

An early 80 series would probably be between A$10000 - 15000, with the diesels getting better money of course.

Don't know what motors you get in the Patrols. The 3.0TD is very popular here (as long as you buy post-2002 as they tend to go "bang" before that). The TD42T is probably the pick, but the 4.5 & 4.8 petrols are a reasonable proposition with an LPG conversion.

The Patrols have, arguably, the better driveline, but yes, the Tojo motors tend to be better.

Mike
Daisy
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the roads round here - a farming area, you see an awful lot of Pajeros 8) , Shoguns 8) , Range Rovers, Land Rovers, also Isuzus. Nissan Patrols are rare, as are the big Landcruisers, as against the Colorado ( Prado ).
Then there's a fair number of Nissan Terranos, Xtrails, 4x4s various, Daihatsus, Kia Sorentos, Suzuki Grand Rolling Eyes  Vitaras,  and then rather a lot of the 'Mum's taxis' - BMW X5s, Mercedes MLs, and a smattering of VW Touregs & Porsche Cayennes.
2 rocks

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daisy

Yes, that's what I find the interesting pardigm shift...over here if you are a "serious" 4 wheel driver (touring/camping or competition), and by that I mean really use it, then the Patrol and Cruiser (in wagon and eternally popular troop carrier form) are the only choice.

Sure there's plenty of us with Pajeros, HiLux Surfs, Terranos et al that do use them but in the end the "big boys" will live through more of the punishment.

The Beemers, Mercs, VWs and Porsches just aren't rated here. They're simply toys for the vineyard cruisers and you wouldn't dream of taking them off road - except possibly a run on the beach (BYO shovel).

The others you mention are all very popular, but mainly live in the shadow-land between offroader and mum's taxi. This is often accentuated by the fact that accessories are more limited, I can't get diff locks for my Gen 1 for example (well, maybe Air-lockers for about 2 grand).

4x4s and Range/LandRovers are well liked and of course you can get anything for them with the magic of the internet, although the sexy D3 seems to have a few problems. A few too many sensors etc getting rattled loose or drowned.

Xtrails - hah, no low-range - we had a series of complaints here in which the auto trans overheats badly in the sand, sometimes with a catastrophic failure...Nissan's response to this was "the vehicle was never meant to do that"...go figure!

Cheers
Mike
ozzy123

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 17:07    Post subject: Re: 4x4 Reply with quote

ahalton wrote:
The Land Cruiser is the best by far, if you get the 4.2td it would be hard to find a better 4x4.

They are just so expensive.

The Nissan is the poor mans Cruiser and the engines over here are not great.

You have to pay £5995 for a 1991 Land Cruiser in average condition or £1500 for a Pajero, which are you going to go for  Confused

Andrew

Hi Andrew, what do you know about these Nissans then? Been thinking of.....it's killing me to say it.....getting rid of the Paj for a Patrol.
Just fancy a change. Have seen a couple. One is a 3.0 Di on an X plate and I've seen another which is a 2.8 on a Y. Thought they were all 3.0 litres after about 1999 Confused  Both are about 9 - 10k though, decent milage 60 - 70k.
Have to say though, I've had the Paj 2 1/2 years now, longest I've ever kept a motor and still love it to bits. Could just go for a newer Paj I guess. Confused  Confused  Confused  Confused

ATB
Lee
cssuk

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally got me eyes on a patrol 4.2 safari lwb f/r difflocks etc etc plus coils all round and 35" tyres are possible pull your house down too but they do seem to suffer the tin worm a fair bit
2 rocks

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozzy123

I know how you feel, I really have a sentimental attachment to my Paj, but...it's just too small (2 swags just about fill the cargo area) for the camping gear and I'd like a bit more "go".

All I can say is that for the worst of the offroad conditions here (corrugations, rock etc), the Patrol (GQ & GU) is considered to have the better driveline and is still live axle/coils front & rear. The early 100 Series Cruisers with IFS just cracked and dropped front control arms spectacularly.  Shocked

The 3.0 is great, but as I said, before '02 they have a reputation for going bang when worked hard (eg sand) as not enough oill gets to number 3 & 4 cylinders. The 2.8 is not popular and have a lighter gearbox (in the manual version).

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / etc - non-technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: