Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Handbrake problem

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tony2504

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 18:51    Post subject: Handbrake problem Reply with quote

Took my 88 Mk1 Shogun for its MOT today, sailed through emission test (0.2), advisory on front anti roll bar bushes, finally the brake test and all OK until the very last bit, the handbrake is registering nothing on the drivers side, not a thing, other side is perfect, so I got a failure, could have been much worse and I'm quite happy but my next surprise was its got rear discs, thought they were only on later models, anyway has anyone got any pointers as to the problem, is it common on rear disc setups, also wheres the best place to get ani roll bar bushes, any help much appreciated.

Tony.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 18:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Richie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anti roll bushes, Milner or Diamond auto parts, hand brake, when you go under the rear axle, and look at the back of the wheel you will see a rubber grommet, about an inch long, remove this, and with the handbrake off, wheels chocked for safety, use a screwdriver, and inside that little hole, you will see a little knurled nut, place the screw driver in there, and click it up on the drivers side to adjust the hand brake, do it till the wheel locks, then back it off, then with a 10 mm spanner, go under the car by the transfer box, look up and you will the see the handbrake yoke, adjust the cable there to take up the slack in the cable
tony2504

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 19:58    Post subject: Handbrake problem Reply with quote

Cheers for the info Ritchie, I'm just wondering why one sides apparantly perfect and the drivers side isn't working at all, I would have expected both sides to have worn out or worn down equally, is their anything that could seize up on the drivers side cable that could cause this, its just that the tester muttered something about a possible seized equaliser something or other as he wandered off.

Tony.
dulux

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

not shure but i think the equalizer only works on the hydraulick system
tazbabe
Events rep (Scotland)
Events rep (Scotland)

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a  by-the-way my '88 paj also has disks, but my '90 paj has drums.
tony2504

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dulux - Thanks for the reply but I think the equaliser your on about controls the balance between the front and rear brakes by restricting pressure to the back wheels to stop lock up under heavy braking, I think he meant a cable type equaliser.

Tazbabe - Thanks, thats a relief, another example of the never ending Mitsi varietes then, actually I think they stop better than the drum types.

Tony.
tony2504

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 21:39    Post subject: handbrake problem Reply with quote

Curiouser and curiouser, found a little time to start work on the handbrake and it appears that there is a cam arrangement attached to the cable, the cam carrier is part of the caliper carrier and the cam connects to the cable nipple on the rear of the backplate and has a strong return spring, the cam seems to operate on the rear of the caliper piston, there doesn't seem to be any rubber plug/adj. access in the backplate, am I seeing things, it got dark before I could go any further but reluctant to continue anyway without any guidance, is this normal, are there different set ups, baffled, does any of this make sense, can someone please advise.

Tony.
spud
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, no rubber grommet there. thats for the drum type brakes.
Our hand brakes use the caliper.....

All the best

Spud Cool

P.S. If you want to come up here, I'll give you a hand
tony2504

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 0:02    Post subject: handbrake problem Reply with quote

Thanks again Spud, just noticed yer post, as to you offer to help thanks but yer just a tad to far away (100+ mls.)Laughing , actually I used to travel up your way regularly to deliver antique prints  Shocked which I'd water coloured for a very posh art dealer who lived just outside Ayr.

Tony.
tony2504

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 20:16    Post subject: handbrake problem Reply with quote

Turns out it was a seized hand brake cable, feared the worst price ways on having to phone Mitsi dealer tomorrow but I couldn't believe it when the wife said there was a brand new one on Eblag, it has to be for a 1988 Shogun LWB, R/H side, I said, Yes it is, 1983-1991, RH side, LWB and its buy it now, she said, so new cable on its way for £18 all in, I doubt their cheaper of Mitsi especially when I include the £10 worth of diesel (and the hassle) it takes to get there and back. Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

Tony.
spud
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! I bet that's a relief for you.

My alternator seized yesterday Sad  what fun eh Exclamation
tony2504

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh joy, just when ya think its safe to come out, I've got that paranoid about things breaking that I buy bits off Eblag etc. just in case, got enough bits now, for sold cars, that I never needed I could start my own breakers yard. Pity I haven't got a decent Paj alternator, good luck with it anyway.

Tony.
tony2504

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 22:04    Post subject: handbrake problem Reply with quote

Ho hum, so much for that plan, cable arrived from internet site, nothing like mine, stupid bar stewards said I, PLAN B, off to mitsi and ordered a new cable, cable arrived today, same as the internet one, its the only one listed for your chassis no. they said but they promised to make further enquiries, meanwhile no MOT, what can happen next I thought, simple, my computers router failed, £50 later and here I am, trying hard not to go outside and set fire to one Mk1 Shogun with a flaming router. My handbrake, in case anyone can help, is attached to the disc brake caliper itself which when the handbrake is applied the cable actuates a cam which  pressurises a piston inside and uses the normal disc pads to stop the wheels, if anyone knows of such a cables location (new or s/h I don't care) would they let me know, I haven't had time to photograph the cable ends yet (the caliper end is metal and threaded and held in place on a bracket by a 17mm nut, the lever end is rubber and is a plug in type) ,if anyone thinks they can help piccys will be provided if required.

Tony.
Bernard Shaw

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, why not take the old cable off, roll it up and soak it in a bowl of diesel? A few hours of that followed by working it backwards and forwards by hand should free it off. Once it's free you can get some WD40 down it to keep it free. Usual cause of seizing is a break in the outer plastic sleeve letting wet into the flexible metal casing, often where the locating clip holds it. You can repair that with a bit of electrical tape before putting the cable back on.
Bernard
tony2504

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:11    Post subject: handbrake problem Reply with quote

Yes your right and I wish it had been possible, unfortunately the cable was jammed up so tight at the caliper end I had to cut it to release the nipple, your idea about water getting in was also correct as I found rusty little cracks in several places, I actually have an antique device (bought at a farm sale) that fits over one end of any cable and pumps up to provide an oil feed under pressure into the cable but as said before no good under the circumstances, lets hope I can find another cable (even a seized one) otherwise I'm in the proverbial poo.

Tony.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: