Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

No Warranty!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Caravanning discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon74
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 18:38    Post subject: No Warranty!! Reply with quote

I purchased my first caravan back in August from a local, long established, retailer "Plymouth Caravan Centre". I was well aware i was paying over the odds but for for the piece of mind thought it was worth it. At the time i had negotiated a 6 month warranty in with the price and had received policy documents etc. (from the caravan retailer).

Guess what... several weeks later the place stops trading - gone into liquidation  Shocked  Shocked

Guess what again... battery charger packed up on my van at the weekend leaving me with no lights and pump. So i get in touch with one of the ex mechanics from the Plymouth caravan centre who has since set up on his own (he was only an employee of Plymouth Caravan Centre). He contacts the warranty company on my behalf only to find no money has ever been sent to them and therefore no warranty  Evil or Very Mad

So i'm in for a £135 repair bill Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 18:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Richie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

They, the dealer issued the warrant as an authorised agent of the warranty company, they the warranty company in authorising the caravan company to issue their policies have then entered an agreement(contract) with you to warrant the caravan.

They, the warranty company if still trading have to accept the warranty.

Trading standards and depending on the warranty company named, possible caravan club if your a member.

Straight forward contract agreement.

You were issued the contract(warranty) by their authorised agent.
Simon74
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Richie,

Think i'll call the warranty company direct and relay that to them...
noiseboy72

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richie, I hope you are right !

I had a similar problem a few years back with my Shogun.

The warranty company said that the warranty only takes effect when they receive the documentation and payment. No payment, no warranty, irrespective of any documentation.

I think they need to sign the agreement before its valid.

Fortunately for me, the trader was still in business and I lent on him until he paid up.
Simon74
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, an update on the warranty front,

Finally got around to calling the warranty company who said they have never received any documentation or payment from "Plymouth Caravan Centre" so as far as they are concerned the policy does not exist. I tried the authorised agents line (thanks Richie) but they said the caravan retailer are selling agents and they cannot underwrite policies they have not seen documentation for. They advised me my only come back is with the liquidators of the caravan retailer. I know this is a hopeless task as theres a queue of people after them including ex-employees.

No real choice but to pay up and shut up  Evil or Very Mad  Exclamation
Richie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check with any club you belong to, if they have a free legal help line, or use local CAB etc, you do have a case with the warranty company, up to but they will push you, where you should push them.
ahalton

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 17:24    Post subject: caravan Reply with quote

Did you buy the caravan with finance or credit card  Confused   If so its their caravan not yours so pursue them to get the money back.

I had the same situation with a cambelt snapping on a mondeo, the Finance company pursued the liquidators and I got the car repaired, full value, if the warranty had stood I would have been liable for everything over £500.

Andrew
Simon74
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richie & Andrew

I paid cash cos of the charges paying by card - little did i know!

Been in touch with C&C club legal helpline who advised me to read the warranty companys terms and conditions because usually states policy will not be activated until documentation and full payment received.. guess what thats exactly what it said Evil or Very Mad

Woman from C&C club seemed very knowledgable as she used to be a trading standards officer and has seen this many times. Oh well worth a phone call. Rolling Eyes
Mental Mike
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Virgo
Location: Deepest Buckinghamshire. 1993 2.5L SWB Diesel Auto.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused  Try Plod - 'Obtaining money under false pretences' & 'Fraud' can motivate Liquidators and Past Directors into Private action to get you to go away. Don't rely on the DTI (Department of Trade and Inactivity) to do anything. Also try the Association of British Insurers who can bring private pressure to bear. These people make me  Twisted Evil
Simon74
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike

Don't mean to be a defeatist but i know all of the ex employees are, on mass, sueing for unpaid wages of many £,000's so don't think my couple of hundred quid warranty ranks anywhere in that? Besides more important that ex employees get what they can from the thieving b******s.  Warranty expires in Feb'08 anyway.

Also all of the vans, including those belonging to customers in for repair, have been removed from their yard? could be the liquidators? So some people have lost their vans and possibly deposits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Caravanning discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: