Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

dash illumination dims and stay dims when light put on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Electrical issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joella

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 21:44    Post subject: dash illumination dims and stay dims when light put on. Reply with quote

My light are off and the dash is illuminated well - i can see.

Then i turn my lights on cause its getting darker outside, and the dash (climate control, compass etc) dim considerably. I would have expected the opposite, why does this happen?

thanks
Joel
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 21:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Baddoo
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try standing in a well lit room when its dark...look out the window you will be able to see very little outside.

Another experiment, next time your outside when its dark take a lighter with you. Light it... look at the flame for a second or two... then look into the dark... your eyes will take a few seconds to readjust to the darkness.

I can only assume they have taken this principle and got rid of the bright interior light to preserve night vision. Sat nav's are the same, bright colours for daytime, put it on the settings for night and its black and blue only.

This would also explain why you have a rheostat to adjust the brightness of the dash lights if necessary  Wink
joella

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i guess that makes sense, but they aint bright at the best of times really. And when its dark and the lights are on, the illumination is so bad i cant see the buttons. Its that dim, so i dont think that can be right...?
minesapasty
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baddoo wrote:
you have a rheostat to adjust the brightness of the dash lights if necessary  Wink

If you have tried to adjust this, and it doesn't make any difference, it is possible that the rheostat ( a variable resistor) is the fault.

If you remember back to pre-remote control TV's. When you altered the volume the sound would crackle, when you tried to tune in the TV, the channels would be hard to get right, all of these controls were variable resistors, the fault would usually be dust on the slide, or windings going faulty, causing the resistor to not operate properly.

Going back to your Paj, if the rotating variable resistor is goosed, then the voltage to the lights will be reduced, so lights not as bright.
joella

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rheostat does work for the main dash.
But the problem is that even with the rheostat on full, if the lights are put on, then the center console becomes is very dim when i turn the main lights on.
So i can drive ok, but i cant actually see the center console hardly at all. See my problem.
david jason

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
My 91 mk2 2.5d LWB Exceed has the same problem as you joella when i turn on the main lights all the green heater control lights, clock and compass etc all dim to the point where i feel i have been blind folded i beleive these are seperate from the main dash illumination so the dimmer switch has no effect on the center dash. and help would be most welcome as its been buging me for ages Rolling Eyes
Stoxy
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the design for these instruments.

There meant to be seen during the day so they lights are on brightly until the side lamps are illuminated when they dim as not to be overbright and distract the drivers view at night.
david jason

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

thxs
maybe in my case it seems worse because my main heater control bulbs don't work for some reason and i have checked them and none of them are blown what else could cause them not to work?
Stoxy
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bas earth or poor connection.

Have you tested each bulb as the wee ones can look ok but be blown!
david jason

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Is there any way i can test the bulbs? seems to be 3 of the little gits Smile
Stoxy
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a tester accross them to see or a small 9v battery may hep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Electrical issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: