Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Cleaning EGR valve in PICTURES!!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trig

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 15:45    Post subject: Cleaning EGR valve in PICTURES!! Reply with quote

Hi all Very Happy  ... It's a cloudy windy Sunday... so done FEW jobs on the Pajero!!

1- made a new blocking plate for the EGR valve 8)
2- Adjusted UP the fuel pump  8)  8)
3- Adjusted DOWN the revs (idle speed!)
4- Before the above I CLEANED the EGR valve!! which I recommend you do whether you block the valve or not Idea  Idea

PS: I had unblocked the valve few weeks ago and used an orange silicon seal around the original valve gasket!

Instructions for CLEANING & BLOCKING the EGR valve:

1- Remove (intercooler) & (air filter + its hose) out of the way (size 10 bolts)
2- Remove hoses you see around the EGR valve out of the way (be gentle!)
3- Cover the exposed pipes with a rag to prevent dirt getting in
4- Unbolt the FOUR bolts holding the EGR valve (size 12)... The 2 bottom bolts are pain in the **** .... but be patient!
5- Remove the 2 original seal gaskets (or blocking plates if applicable!) and clean + KEEP!
6- Wipe clean the gunge and sh*t you find... even if you use a rag, your hands may change colour!! Washing up liquid will sort this out!
7- Wipe clean as much gunge as you can of the EGR valve BEFORE soaking it !!! I used a rag with the help of a screw driver!
8- Soak the EGR valve in Kerosine (You could use Diesel if you want!)
9- Stop for a cigarette and hot cup of Earl Gray Laughing
10- While EGR valve soaking... I prepared the blocking plate, and adjusted the fuel pump UP!!.... fed my birds... and had a quickie Wink

11- One to two hours later remove the soaked EGR and wipe it clean (you can leave it overnight if you wish... but cleaning as much dirt of the valve BEFORE soaking helped speeding the process!
12- Fit back the EGR valve in place & Blocking plate (if you're blocking the valve).
13- Fit back the other parts (hoses, air filter & intercooler)
14- If you adjusted the fuel pump, do not forget to set the governer & adjust down the idle speed (revs to 800 rpm!)
15- Clean your hands, before the wife gives you the agro Wink

All photos are here (in order):

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 15:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

PoCUK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic post Trig! Many thanks for producing this piece!

Simon
chris_k

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 20:33    Post subject: just cleaned EGR - very easy Reply with quote

i just wanted to say after reading the posts on here i took the plunge and set about removing the EGR and cleaning it. ( after i had ordered a blanking plate form the club shop Rolling Eyes )
This is how i did it very simply;

1) Disconnect the large hose from the left handside of the intercooler as you face the engine from the front.
2) Undo the top bolt from the EGR (this is bottom one on the bracket that supports a rubber pipe)
3) Undo bottom bolt from EGR

Then to make life easy for myself i removed the EGR and pipe the exhaust mainfold as one unit. This meant undoing 2 x nuts that point skyward from the end that connects to the exhaust manifold.
With this whole section removed (EGR and 5" of pipe) it is a much easier task of removing the bolts from the back of the EGR.
I then used brake cleaner to clean the EGR unit. A 3/4" paint brush was useful to work the cleaner in to the small holes / niches (i didn't have any diesel to hand)

I found that fitting the parts back together was a little more tricky as they didn't line up so the solution was to finger tighten all the nuts / bolts so that they could be alined. Then tighten once they were all in place.

I was so excited i took the truck for a spin. Maybe it's psychological but it felt much more responsive, more crisp.
I waited for engine to warm up and then went up a hill on a main road so i could put my foot down. It revved nicely and took off, the over drive kicked in and it still was pulling up over the hill.
For an hours work (that cost nothing Smile ) i think this is a job worth doing.

For reference:- i have a 1997 2.8 (the 140bhp model). The EGR mushroom top is facing the front of the vehicle, on its side if that makes sense.

If i can do it anyone can. Once again this Forum has given me the confidence to 'have a go'.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: