2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

4wd won't engage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkuiken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 23:48    Post subject: 4wd won't engage Reply with quote

My 1995 Montero won't engage 4wd. The lever goes forward to 4hi, 4Hilock and 4 Lolock, the transfer case engages (you can hear and feel it), but the front axle doesn't and the indicator for the front axle just flashes, doesn't stay lit like it used to.  

Has this every happened to any of you before? I'm wondering if the actuator died or if I should be looking for a vacuum leak etc.. I poked around today and there didn't appear to be a vacuum leak, all the hoses were in good shape.

Thanks in advance
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 23:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Zodiac: Capricorn
Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right put her into 4WD and engage reverse for about 50 yards Parking lot or Mall would be ok  Wink might well help
I'm off to zzzzz J try that and if it doesn't work get back to us  Wink .......you do need to put it into 4WD for about 5 miles very week to keep the system operating

HTH
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thing other than 4WD hi should NOT be engaged on tarmac for loose gravel Mud etc
jkuiken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

we drove with the axle lights flashing for 4-5 miles the other day, thinking it just needed to be warmed up. I've never had this problem with any of the 7  4wd's that I've had, so I'm a bit befuddled.
jkuiken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

driving in reverse makes no difference to how it acts

thanks
Richie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to go to the top of the front axle, on there, you will see the front axle actuator, it has a rubber gaiter, on it, pull this back a bit, you may get some water drip from there, dry it off, and grease lightly the rod, do the same to the other side and make sure the gaiter is back in place, and clean.

Then, engage 4wd HIGH, drive forward a few yards, select reverse, drive back, at a fast pace, brake hard, select 2wd dive, see what happens.

Then, weekly, just select 4wd HIGH, and drive a few miles, only needs to be 2 to 4, and this keeps things working.

you can select thie 4wd HIGH as you drive, super select, goes in on the move, and come out, only high though, all other functions, means that you have to stop, select neutral in the gear box, then move the transfer lever to low etc.

Get back if all this fails.

nottmbantam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha.

Same problem is mine, engaging 4wd, the lights for teh front axle just flash and then ( in neutral) trying to engage the diff lock, shows nothing on the dash.

Will try those remedies listed above, the Paj is in the workshop at the moment having the poorly engine seen.
jkuiken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I placed some lube on the actuator and grease under the boot. It turns out the front axle is engaging but the lights in the dashboard are still flashing, even after its engaged. I went out and slid the truck around on the snowy roads, and the front wheels are definitely connected. So now the question is...

is this an electric issue? Any ideas how to fix?

Thanks in advance
Richie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

nottmbantam wrote:
Aha.

Same problem is mine, engaging 4wd, the lights for teh front axle just flash and then ( in neutral) trying to engage the diff lock, shows nothing on the dash.  could just be the bulb knackered !

Will try those remedies listed above, the Paj is in the workshop at the moment having the poorly engine seen.   Maybe

jkuiken wrote:

I placed some lube on the actuator and grease under the boot. It turns out the front axle is engaging but the lights in the dashboard are still flashing, even after its engaged. I went out and slid the truck around on the snowy roads, and the front wheels are definitely connected. So now the question is...

is this an electric issue? Any ideas how to fix? On the innner wing, drivers side, you will see two small vaccum units with rubber hoses attached, take each hose off for a fewseconds, and then replace, in the correct way, , it coud be the vaccum needs dumping,

Thanks in advance
jkuiken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

"On the innner wing, drivers side, you will see two small vaccum units with rubber hoses attached, take each hose off for a fewseconds, and then replace, in the correct way, , it coud be the vaccum needs dumping"

I'm not clear as to where the inner wing is... Can you give me more info.  When you say drivers side, I assume you mean on the left? I see a bunch of vacuum hoses come up the right side in the engine compartment, along the wheel liner.

Do I need to have the engine running while I do this?
Richie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkuiken wrote:
"On the innner wing, drivers side, you will see two small vaccum units with rubber hoses attached, take each hose off for a fewseconds, and then replace, in the correct way, , it coud be the vaccum needs dumping"

I'm not clear as to where the inner wing is... Can you give me more info.  When you say drivers side, I assume you mean on the left? I see a bunch of vacuum hoses come up the right side in the engine compartment, along the wheel liner.

Do I need to have the engine running while I do this?

Yep, sorry, see your location now, it would be the passenger side for you, lift the hood, and as you look at the engine, on your left arm, you will find, near to the bulkhead the little black units, with the thin rubber tubes, and from memory, blue stripe on one, and yellow on the other.

So may be different on yours, because of model, country etc, but so long as tyou remove some, vaccum will be dumped.
m3crj

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had same problem with my shogun sport  a year or so ago and the actuator was the problem it wasn't fully engageing so i had 4wd but also had flashing lights now this next bit is just what i did in no way shape or form am i telling you to do something

i placed large chocks in front and behind all the wheels while the truck was running i had my friend sit inside selecting 2wd 4wd etc... constantly while i was under neath with some lock release spray and grabbing the shaft and pusing it to and from with my hand while the transfer lever was being pushed i did this for about 5-10 mins once done i wiped it clean and placed a small amount of grease all over the shaft and replaced the boot and it was fine ever since

as previously said this i what i did not what i am telling you to do

hope you get it sorted it's the little things that niggle away at you till you brake  Laughing
biogaz

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had similar problem, with this flashing front wheel lights, but mine wasnt engaging at all the front axel, just the lever was moving. So it turned out to be two switches on the transfer case, changed and all ok. But deffo if they flash, even in your case you think front axel engaged, it shows something is not quite right. Check those switches, plenty of them on the transfer case Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: