Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Bandwidth + site useage ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Computer bytes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PoCUK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 15:52    Post subject: Bandwidth + site useage ... Reply with quote

Sad I shouldn't really complain, but in the first two weeks of the club site being hosted on our new dedicated server, we've already used 60% of our allocated monthly bandwidth, (the amount of data traffic allowed between the host server and the internet).

There is a (competitive) pricing structure to allow for exceeding allocated bandwidth, but there are a few simple steps to take whereby you can help...

1. The highest priority is with regard to the Technical forum ... this really should not be used for debate, confirmation of having the same / similar problem or reiteration of previously offered advice, simply either a technical query or offering, and useful, related advice... I have had a couple of notes from members, who have raised a technical query, opted to be notified when a reply is posted, only to go to the post to find a message along the lines of "I have that problem too and will be interested to see replies" ... not very helpful.

2. Chat forums - really, this is intended for light use for chat which is likely to be of interest to more than the people directly involved with the 'conversation', it would really help if personal offline chat were kept to private e-mail - this will really help to reduce the bandwidth... of course, you can use the online chatroom as freely as you wish!

3. Please use the SEARCH facility on the forum ... there are already an amazing number of posts in such a short time ... there's a good chance your query has already been raised ... duplicating queries is taking up storage and using bandwidth.

Now, if this seems like I'm having a go, or picking on individuals, you couldn't be more wrong ... I'm really pleased with the way the club and its member community has developed over the past 18 months and I'm very excited about prospects for future development, including the continued support shown between all the members... I'm just not looking to fork out for another server upgrade just yet... my head's still spinning from the last one!

Thanks for your continued support - I couldn't do all this without you!

Regards,

Simon.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 15:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

DEANO3528

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I congratulate you on the site, it's far better than the last version.
As a registered member of many forums(mostly LR oriented), I know what you mean about bandwidth, but it's the first time I ever saw someone bring up the subject as you have. I tend to use the forums as a more relaxed chat room(basically, I can't keep up in a proper chat enviroment) as do many others. The format is virtually the same as here, except there is a seperate section called for instance, Readers Forum, Public Discussion or some such.
The techie stuff still attracts the typical "I have that prob", simply because people are glad they're not alone, I feel.
I'm guilty of posting one of those replies on here too, but I added the details of my prob, in the hope of jogging a memory for the solution.
What I really wanted to ask about was posting pics.
If I upload to the site from my hard drive that must use your bandwidth up fairly quickly(probably the reason it's now disabled), but am I right in saying that hosting our own images, say on Photo-Island and linking to them results in negligible bandwidth increase???
Hope I haven't increased the bandwidth too much, with this post? Wink
And thanks for a well run board, it's handy when you've more experience of LR diesels and V8's, to have a place to turn to.
PoCUK
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 15:16    Post subject: Storing pix off the club site ... Reply with quote

Hey Deano - that's exactly how it should be ... upload your pix to your own ISP space or other favourite picture host, then link it in on your post - uses their bandwidth, not ours Very Happy

Thanks for the feedback,

Simon.
Windmillpete

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Explain please in 3year old language (a flow diagram would be helpful). Sorry to be a pain
PoCUK
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this post : http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42 for a 'how to do it' guide.

Regards,

Simon
Windmillpete

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks simon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon,

You have raised some points that I was not aware of.

Although of the 'anarchic' persuassion, I do try to reply to serious requests with help when I can and avoid frivolous replies to serious postings.

It's clear that a lot of new members jump straight in with a technical posting (as that's probably why they found us). They may not think to look where you or I would for info. or site instructions. May I suggest making the instructions for using the forums part of the sign up process as I am sure a lot of new members don't know about search or don't bother to look in FAQ?

Perhaps the club spares scheme will get rid of some of the 'where can I get that?" posts?

Personally, I would like to see an option for filtering forums I am not especially interested in from occuring on the 'View posts since your last visit' search. Would this help at all? Incidentally, how do searches like 'since last visit' affect bandwidth as I do a lot of these?

Just some thoughts - not criticism, of what is an excellent site, especially since the upgrade. Very well done!
Actor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon, would just like to repeat what has already been said ref this excellent resource, it has help me out on several occasions (and saved me money).
Could some of the more common threads be collected together and placed into a single document or manual, I refer to the EGR plate PDF file I created.
I am willing to collect all info from the forums and create these if it will help.
With regard to bandwidth and upgrade costs, would a small subscription help, on a voluntary bases?
Regards
Actor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

just out of intrest how much is the onthly bandwidth quota, as with my hosts I have no quotaand i find there r far better deals on US based servers than uk servers, not telling you how to do your job but sounds liek you may have had a bad deal if we have already got though most of the bandwidth.
PoCUK
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:20    Post subject: Bandwidth etc ... Reply with quote

Hey guys ...

the bandwidth issue came up a long time ago ... we have shed-loads now, but with over 2 million page views per month on the forums, (last time I checked), you can see that it wouldn't take many large pictures to get into Giga-bytes of data transfer.

The offer of collating info is a great one - an initiative that has already been picked up by a number of members, and I'm always very grateful for any support you are prepared to offer.

Thanks,

Simon.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is also a template hack for phpbb that will speed things up and reduce the load or something like that, as i imadgine most of th epage loads r from dragging up the same template files time after time, maybe that will help ????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Computer bytes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: