Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Automatic Transmission

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AngieP

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 20:00    Post subject: Automatic Transmission Reply with quote

J Reg 1992, 2.5 td exceed

I have been experiencing something over the past couple of months that I can only explain as clutch slip but I have automatic transmission, I have changed my ATF oil today and it stank it smelt burnt and brown as p** after replacing the oil I took the paj for a run and guess what I still have the clutch slip symptons but now I can not engage gear I put it in reverse and nothing happens just reving the B******* off the engine, I put it drive and the same happens as in reverse. What as happened please help  Embarassed  Rolling Eyes
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 20:00    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Zodiac: Capricorn
Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gearbox fluids cream crackered  go to search top of the forum page and type in like this
atf AND change....tells you all you need to know...hopefully when its changed the box will work again

HTH
mph
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick the poor girl says she has changed the oil and can't get gears now?

What did you put back in? should be dexron 2 or three ATF oil.

have you under or over filled it?

You may need to change the oil again?

Mark
nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

So she did  Embarassed teach me to speed read when I'm tired  Embarassed sorry AngieP

BUMP.anyone got any ideas Confused  Confused  Confused Come on guys Damsel in Distress Wink
AngieP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update

My friends Hubby dropped the oil for me on Sunday 23rd, the car had been experiencing some problems that resembled clutch slip and was a bit sluggish and slow to change gear, he sugested the same as you guys change the oil so I took it to his house where he has a flat drive he drained the oil but only 2.5 litre approx was drained he then put some new oil in I started the Paj and engaged all the gears all was fine I took it for a spin still slipping and still sluggish.

I went back to his house on way back at a junction the Paj would not move it just revved higher and higher until it eventually moved but I was probably getting about 15 to 20 MPH out of it when arriving at the house I explained what had happened and he had a go this time there was no gears whats so ever reverse/drive/2/Lwe turned the engine off and left for about 10 mins started it up and it would engage gear but would struggle to pull the Paj.

he drained the oil once more which looked and smelt just like the old stuff that we had removed earlier and tried again we got all the same symptoms

The Oil is COMMA but says DEXTRON II on the lable and it was recommended by the car place where I bought it from.

I have read quite a few threads on here and it says that there should 7.5 litres approx in the transmission box. my levels are all correct but the oil still looks dirty and smells burnt.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP had the Paj some years now and dont want to get rid but if it's the gear box thats gone I believe it will cost me more than the cars worth!!!  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad
Richie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to find a auto transmission center near you that has a vaccum system to vaccum all the oil out, remove the pans and clean all filters, do the belts etc insiode the box, readjust the kick down, test all solonoids and fill with new correct fluid.  Not cheap, these do it for sure

http://www.transcentre.co.uk/
AngieP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 19:28    Post subject: more help Reply with quote

Hi guys thanks for your advice I have put everything on hold until after christmas before I decide what to do with the Paj. however I do have a question if you look at the picture could you please tell me something, if the kick down is extremely slack would that be detrimental to the changing of gears on my auto box also I have read that they should be a stopper soldered to this cable but mine appears to not have one! also how tight should the throttle cable be as this also is quite slack.

Is it an easy job to replace the kickdown cable or will it need to go to a garage

BIG RED

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

the stopper is under the orange gaiter and it dosent look too slack its abt same as mine.
BIG RED

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you havent messed with the cables before it went wrong it shouldent be them thats the problem.inside the gearbox there is a filter if thats blocked then it will restrict the flow of oil to the torque converter.hence no drive.
AngieP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIG RED wrote:
the stopper is under the orange gaiter and it dosent look too slack its abt same as mine.

Hi BIG RED

I have pulled the gaiter back and there is no stopper and there is about 2 inch of play on the cable
AngieP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIG RED

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry cant comment on that missing then.but it should still drive ok but probably not kickdown.
dpruk

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put the accelerater to full throttle at the pump end you will see it. As it is I have arrowed it in yellow
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii315/dpruk/Dsc04601.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: