QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Where to start....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Green Laning Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charliegun

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 17:24    Post subject: Where to start.... Reply with quote

Hello peeps

New member here. Have always fancied doing some off roading / green laning and now i have the beast to do it, why not?? Only thing is i have NO idea how to find out about it.... I am in the Bristol area. Anyone know how i get started and if there are any clubs local to me??

Cheers  Very Happy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 17:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

paul_c2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

First place I'd look would be the OS map which covers your local area. Green lanes are BOAT (byway open to all traffic) and ORPA (other routes with public access), shown as crosses or dots. On the 1:50,000 scale (Explorer, orange cover) they're green; on the 1:100,000 scale (Landranger, pink cover) they're pink.
leebeelee123
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_c2 wrote:
First place I'd look would be the OS map which covers your local area. Green lanes are BOAT (byway open to all traffic) and ORPA (other routes with public access), shown as crosses or dots. On the 1:50,000 scale (Explorer, orange cover) they're green; on the 1:100,000 scale (Landranger, pink cover) they're pink.

But after you have checked your OS map make sure that they are open!
paul_c2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get stuck. Nobody plans to get stuck. Its good advice not to go out on your own, but if you do, don't take any risks getting stuck or make mistakes and always be prepared to turn back and find an alternative route, if you don't like the look of it.
Richie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look up crag  or green lane association in your area, get a contact, and join in.

OS maps are not the legal identity of access, the only sure way is the local 'rights of way officer' at the local authority.

Just because it is marked on OS map, doesn't mean you have legal access, 99% of the time signs will identify the lanes as open or closed etc, but not always.
Onan The Barbarian
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not join a local club, Charlie?  I've been out a couple of times with the guys from Bristol & West Off Road Club... http://www.bworc.org.uk/  They're a great bunch and they're local to you.  There's some really experienced guys there and they'll show you what's what!  Wink
Richie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look up crag  or green lane association in your area, get a contact, and join in.

OS maps are not the legal identity of access, the only sure way is the local 'rights of way officer' at the local authority.

Just because it is marked on OS map, doesn't mean you have legal access, 99% of the time signs will identify the lanes as open or closed etc, but not always.
John Pugh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind that the Rights of Way Department may well tell you that a UCR (Unclassified County Road) has no permitted vehicle access. This is because, in most cases, the Rights of Way people are not responsible for a UCR. That normally lies with the Highways Dept., who will give you an accurate answer. (But don't ask Highways about Rights of Way! Very Happy )
 Some Councils have combined the function into one Dept., but most are still separate, so phone them both!
Regards,
craigszxtt

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use http://www.trailwise.org.uk/gmaps/gmap.htm its a great site and keeps you legal!
Mr_Bonkers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried to register on that trailwise site, but could not.
Apparently "You won't be able to register this way without a Registration Key issued by your parent organisation."
Would POCUK count as a parent organisation?
paul_c2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Bonkers wrote:
I just tried to register on that trailwise site, but could not.
Apparently "You won't be able to register this way without a Registration Key issued by your parent organisation."
Would POCUK count as a parent organisation?

If you remain unregistered you can do a limited (3km radius) search. I think you'd need to be in GLASS itself (which costs £33) to obtain the full info, which is a wider radius and notes on some of the, ummmm, notable tracks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Green Laning Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: