QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Aerial replacement - do i need a new one?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joella

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 14:41    Post subject: Aerial replacement - do i need a new one? Reply with quote

My aerial stopped working last week, went up part way but not fully, and i think it was because it was partially frozen!

So i took it apart today and it looks ok, accept that the nylon cord looks short - i think too short for it to extend fully, and therefore i will need a new one. Which is a right pain!

If it is broken, will the other bit of it be attached to the motor still? Could i repair it do you think?

Seems a shame to have to replace it all  when its just the strip which is snapped, and on ebay they are £50!  Shocked
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 14:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Snow-Man
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel

You  can just buy the mast off eblag and replace that on its own, it will come with the nylon toothed part aswell,

I had to do mine , it was £25.00 for a genuine mast off eblag. Smile
Muddybob

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been searching for an ariel mast too, cheapest i can see is 50 quid....!
Snow-Man
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will see if I can find the name of the bloke I got mine off as he said he had loads of them,

Will update if I can find it.
rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milners have them for £33 - here.

I have seen them on eblag for between £20 and £35. Quite a few on there now. Try searching for 'pajero aerial'

You're only after the mast itself, not the motor.
joella

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

so is mine definately in need of replacement as i thought then? i.e. The plastic strap too short now?
charlieannear
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the end has snapped off it.
You will need to extract the bit that has snapped off and is now sitting inside the motor housing, before you push then new one in.

C.
joella

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanks for confirming.

Quote:
You will need to extract the bit that has snapped off and is now sitting inside the motor housing, before you push then new one in.

So is there an easy way of doing that or do i need to remove the wing?  Confused
v8 rick
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muddybob wrote:
I've been searching for an ariel mast too, cheapest i can see is 50 quid....!

try these people mate ,             http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/car-masts-uk-shop__W0QQ_armrsZ1 excellent quality and price ive bought a few now for different vehicles .

rick
Muddybob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks v8 rick, i've just bought one...........
alan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi you can access the motor by taking off the plastic inner wing remove motor then remove broken piece of nylon takes about an hour will help if you remove the wheel as well good luck

alan
alan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

should read above

remove wheel

alan
PjayUK

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy job replacing just the mast, although I bought one of ebay and it was pure *beep* quality and ended up jamming solid after a few weeks.

but mine was missing the top nut. Dont suppose anyone has any ideas where I can get one? all the ebay sellers I have emailed dont seem to have one...

Its just the chromed nut that sits on the plastic piece on the front wing.
charlieannear
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I did mine...

Well, it's a genuine one, and the answer is yes!
Turn the front wheels onto full-lock (if you can't be bothered to remove the wheel) and remove the plastic inner wing.
undo the top nut on the mast, and two 10mm nuts inside the wing (the top one has an earth wire for the antenna, not the motor).

Move the aerial out of the inner wing, push up the 'bag' (you may need to remove the tape) remove the wires/plug and undo the screw which holds the tube section onto the motor section.
You should be able to push, tap or hammer a long screwdriver into the bottom of this section and force any remnants of the old mast out of the 'top.

Undo the four screws on the 'corners' of the motor body and the nut/bolt through the middle.
With a small flat bladed screwdriver, prize the top off the motor body. (It has a bead of sealant around it, so may be stuck a little.)
Be careful as you prize the top off as inside is sprung slightly!
Remove any remnants of the toothed section and reassemble.  
There may be remnants in the part that you prized off, or you may need to look under the metal plate and around the gear-wheels.
Take care with the large toothed wheel which is in two halves with a spring in the middle. The two halves may spring apart, but to be reassembled they need to be positioned so that they sit together with no gap between the toothed parts. The metal plate will then sit in the correct position and the 'lid' will go back into place without excessive squeezing.
If the parts need to be 'squeezed' together too much to get the lid back on, then too much friction will be created by the metal plate pressing against the gear-wheel and the antenna control relay will switch the motor off prematurely.
Do not overtighten the centre nut/bolt or you will break the centre spindle off from the housing  

In the words of Mr Haynes: "Reassemble in reverse order!"

I took mine apart and found the plastic base and about 3 inches of the old mast inside the tube section, and about 6 inches of the toothed part inside the motor body.

I had tried the "quick and easy method, but the new mast would not completely feed into the body.

It took me quite a while to get it all apart and all back together again, but now when the radio is switched on the new mast raises fully and when the radio is switched off the new mast retracts fully.  No trimming of the new mast required.

Anyone who needs to fix their electric aerial but does not have the benefit of being able to pull out the old one (i.e., like me you bought a Paj with a snapped-off aerial!) then you may need to open up the body and remove all the old bits before you introduce the new mast. I would recommend that this process is carried out as these remnants could jam up the works and then you'd need a new motor body too!
joella

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine arrived today. Its ok, though you can tell the quality of the actual mast is not as good as the original.

Its also clear from this, that all i actually need is the nylon cord, if i had a new one of these i could use my old mast, no problem, and it would be cheaper too. But, does anyone know where i can buy just a cord and not the mast itself??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: