QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Err.... Are you fed up with hearing about these Pitman Arms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyle_Sinclair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 15:43    Post subject: Err.... Are you fed up with hearing about these Pitman Arms Reply with quote

After reading all the horrer stories about dealers screwing up the fitting of the pitman arm, I'm really dubious about even thinking about this... How do you know if you vehicle needs it or not...

I have a SWB 2.8 TD on an M..... Is it something that really needs to be done if it hasn't been done... Excuse the ignorance...

Cheers lads..... Oh, And lasses if any out there....
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 15:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

SteveN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle

One could also ask why people do not look at other parts of this site Question
There is so much more than just this forum Mad but that would be soooooo rude of me Twisted Evil

Answers:-
Quote:
How do you know if you vehicle needs it or not...

look here

Quote:
Is it something that really needs to be done if it hasn't been done

Er.....................

Hmmmmmm.....

YES

SteveN
Kyle_Sinclair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry..... Hardly ever get a chance to log on here and I'm at work too with Managers looking over my shoulder....

Will check out the links when I get more time.... Many thanks Rolling Eyes Embarassed
NSUK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point - without checking here I wouldnt know it needed to be done, so another thing this club has been of use for !

Maybe it would be an idea to create a checklist - pitman arm, undersealing, checking quality of tyres etc all seem to be things that every Pajero owner should check after purchase (I am sure there are many others I have missed!!)

The bottom line seems to be without having the pitman arm recall done, you are taking the risk that one day your steering may completely fail on you !!
SteveN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle

Don't be sorry, you're here now Very Happy Very Happy some of us have had the good fortune to have been here longer, and seen 4(i think) variants to the site/forums. Take the time to browse the site there is plenty to see & learn.

The subject of the "Pitman Arm" has been a popular subject, but it IS a safety critical item which Mitsubishi realise, hence the recall back to 1990 Exclamation

Quite a number, me included, have had shoddy treatment from our local dealer. Resulting in us having to take our trucks back time and again.

The common problems with the Pitman Arm replacement program has been

poor communication with Pajero owners from Mitsu
and
Stuffed steering wheel alignment

On the latter:-

The pitman arm is splined, 40 I think, the pitch of these splines equates to 360/40 = 9deg's. If, as I beleive these splines have been machined 1/2 pitch out, then the steering wheel will be rotated by that, 4.5deg's or 350(est wheel dia)x3.142(pi)x4.5 / 360 = 13.75mm rotated at the steering wheel perifery. Shocked Shocked time to rest the brain and go Wink

SteveN
bill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pitman arm is splined, 40 I think, the pitch of these splines equates to 360/40 = 9deg's. If, as I beleive these splines have been machined 1/2 pitch out, then the steering wheel will be rotated by that, 4.5deg's or 350(est wheel dia)x3.142(pi)x4.5 / 360 = 13.75mm rotated at the steering wheel perifery. time to rest the brain and go

So......its first left then 2nd right and then make a U turn B4 the traffic lights....A2Z's aint as good as this site. Twisted Evil
Yip, thinks I got it. Question Question
thax

Bill
SteveN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill

You taking the Glycerine m8 Crying or Very sad

SteveN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: