Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Jump Start & Charging

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 22:01    Post subject: Jump Start & Charging Reply with quote

Can anyone enlighten me as to how you jump start the Paj due to the two batteries?

I also have the problem when charging as I currently only have one charger.

Does any one know why we have two batteries in the first place? They are both, I believe 630amp.

2.5 TD Auto Exceed.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 22:01    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

carlyoungie1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane we have 2 batteries because of all the electronics and gadgets on the Pajero. As for jump starting the vehicle, connect the earth of the boost battery to an earth point in the engine bay and the positive to the front battery's positive terminal ( the one nearest the coolant bottle ). I have read somewhere that a lot of Pajeros were made for the cooler climate in North Japan and that is why some have 2 batteries, but all the pajeros i have seen have 2 batteries so i am not so sure as to whether this is the case. CARL.
allan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane, never having jump started mine, I`m not sure, but someone else should. You can charge each battery seperately, on the car. Just disconnect the relevant battery and stick the charger leads on it. You will still have power to the car from the other battery. Swap over when its done and do the other, after first reconnecting your battery. This way, you will not interupt power to things like alarm, radio, ecu etc.

Why does it have two batteries? Who knows. Not even Mitsubishi. One school of thought is that the two battery option was available in the colder, sub zero parts of Japan. The extra battery helps starting, and I believe you run most of the accessories off just one battery, while the other retains more of the charge to start the car. The Japs love gadgets and the two batteries help power them all.

I suppose two batteries take up less room than one HUGE one.

Who knows? It is a 12v system though, so the batteries are connected in parrallel, with some japanese wizardry between them. Confused

Probably Exclamation

allan
carlyoungie1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems i was right about a lot of pajeros were available with 2 batteries for the colder climate then
shane

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Lads,

You both gave the answers I was looking for.

Carly with which battery to connect for starting. when both are flat would it be an idea to disconnect the back one, to stop it draining the front, then re-connect when started Question .

Maybe fit one of those battery isolater switches they have on racing cars, saves getting the spanners out.

Allan with your explanation that the batteries run in parrallel. Would I be right in thinking that to run them in series give 24v Question

And both came to the same conclusion why we have two batteries, the answer is as plausable as any Razz and why not.

Its a long story why they are flat, but when I get it sorted I shall make sure you are all informed Evil or Very Mad

Thanks again lads
46vale46

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:21    Post subject: jump starting Reply with quote

can you jump one battery off the other?seems like a good idea Idea
Tazz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 16:32    Post subject: Re: jump starting Reply with quote

46vale46 wrote:
can you jump one battery off the other?seems like a good idea Idea

No. This is not possible, as the batteries are connected in parallel so if one is flat the other one would be as well.

Basicly when two batteries are connected in parallel they act as one large battery with an increased capacity, so it does not matter which battery you jump start from as all you are doing is adding a third battery in parallel,also if you connect a charger to one battery you will charge both batteries at the same time.

Tazz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: