QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

lower balance shaft cavern

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrrodger

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 17:35    Post subject: lower balance shaft cavern Reply with quote

Good day all;

I have been working away at getting my 2.5 4D56 sealed up for oil and coolant leaks.  Unfortunately, when I tried to remove the lower balance shaft off, the allen key that i was using to hold the balance shaft broke off in the side of the engine.  I would estimate a 1/2"-3/4" piece is in the engine.  Sad

As I do not know what the engine looks like on the inside of the balance shaft I was wondering a couple of things for those of you that have had your engine block apart:

1) Does the balance shaft "cavern" drain directly into the oil pan or does the lower balance shaft help circulate the oil upwards?
2) If I choose not to run the balance shaft (many people have already discussed the pros/cons of running no balance shaft) is it worth trying to recover the broken piece of metal in the cavern?
3) I am not very clear on the process to taking out the lower or upper balance shafts, but what are the main parts to take off, assuming you have the timing belts removed and the crank pulleys off as well?  

Right now I am really frustrated with the engine and how useless the silent shaft assembly/design appears to be.  

regards,

James R
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 17:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

leafy

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pic with the sump off ......balance shaft can just be seen....gives you an idea

Pic of belts and pulleys........

Pretty sure I left my bottom balance shaft pulley on and the shaft came out attached to the bottom cover once it was all unbolted.

jrrodger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 0:54    Post subject: balance shaft Reply with quote

Thank you Leafy;

Just another dumb question for you though.  I think you have confirmed with the first attached picture that the cavern for the  lower balance shaft drains into the oil pan (top right of your picture).  However I am not sure if the oil pump seals up that cavern or does the oil pump get installed right there.

Basically I am considering whether it is worth taking apart the whole sump assembly or not.

thank you in advance!

James R
nick-dudley
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the piece has fell inside, as long as its fell into the sump, things should be ok. drain the oil, leave sump plug out, spray brake/ carb cleaner through till it sort of washes sump out. try removing the dipstick tube or go via sump plug hole, use s small headed retractable magnet and "go fishing" through there, but remember there are lots of things in there the magnet can stick to Wink  
worth a shot Wink
jrrodger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:06    Post subject: giving it a try Reply with quote

I will try the magnet trick for a little while, but I am betting 75-80% likely the piece of screwdriver is in the sump.  It is pretty small and looking at the courtesy picture shown above most likely it has fallen or will "settle into" the sump.  Assuming that there isn't huge sludge buildups...  LOL!

So onto putting together this beast and setting the main timing belt in properly....

Incidentally as I see almost as many arguments in favor of re-inserting the balance belts as leaving the belt out (mine was snapped when I opened the timing cover).  I am going to flip a coin on whether I will add the balance belt in tomorrow.  The actual idea of silent shafts is good, but the way the 4d56 designed the secondary belt tensioner spring system is not very impressive and likely leads to the belt failures

thanks for everyone's assistance....  Lots of On-The-Job training tonight on this forum!   Very Happy

Incidentally if it helps anyone, I found that getting the main crank and balance seals out was best completed with a carefully placed dental pick rather than the taped up screwdriver.  

James R
El Ricko

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sure you have to block the oil supply to the ballance shaft if you remove it
nick-dudley
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you would have to find a way of blocking the oil supply as the balance shaft bearings are oil-fed, without the shafts being there, it would pee out, giving no oil pressure.
El Ricko

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

drill in to the oil feeds where the balance shaft bearings are , then tap them and screw a grub screw in with some locking compound
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: