Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Steering wheel re-trim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / etc - non-technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
h4rri

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:54    Post subject: Steering wheel re-trim Reply with quote

I left the windows open a crack last night as I am getting a lot of window misting after leaving it a few hours.

Worked great as there was no misting of the windows, however it seems all the moisture has soaked into the steering wheel, it was sticky as hell and I had to wash my hands when I got to work and it was unpleasant to drive Embarassed  

I am looking at a re-trim kit [a strip of leather and some thick cotton] on eBay and was wondering if anyone has used this before?

Is it best to remove the original leather before replacing it or do you stitch over the top?? I would rather refurb the original than use a boss and aftermarket wheel and lose the airbag.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a steering wheel cover for years, same type as you describe.

It's pseudo leather, with a strong lace which aids the grip.

I find it great.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 14:16    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel re-trim Reply with quote

h4rri wrote:
I left the windows open a crack last night as I am getting a lot of window misting after leaving it a few hours.

I wonder why it's misting up if left for a few hours? It sounds to me as if the moisture levels are very high inside the truck. TAs the external temperature drops, the window glass cools and the moisture condenses on the inside surface.

Best if you can fix the problem rather than the symptom.  Have you got automatic climate control? If so, I've discovered that it's much too quick to select 'recirculation' when on the Auto mode. If this is the case, switch it to manual and ensure that the air is being drawn in from the outside. If some other cause, try and find what it is. A leaking heater matrix can cause excess moisture too.

If you let the vehicle interior dry out and apply some leather cleaner to the wheel you may not need to fit a steering wheel cover. My Challenger was left for two years in a damp condition. It had mould growing on virtually every surface. After I'd cleaned it everything felt sticky. You'd never know it now.
h4rri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's simply because of the rain and the fact it isn't being driven long enough to dry out Sad

I have cleaned the interior several times and it's still grimy and sticky on the wheel and gear level. I will attempt another clean tomorrow but the leather is also torn in one spot and it's past it's best.

I think, looking at the re-trim kit, I should be able to trim the old off and fit the new but I guess I will see when it arrives.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

h4rri wrote:
It's simply because of the rain and the fact it isn't being driven long enough to dry out Sad

Certain? Years of experience and careful observation tell me that rain should stay on the outside of the vehicle!  Laughing

I reckon you've got water/moisture building up somehow. Rain shouldn't cause that.

I only do short runs in my Challenger, and often with a large wet dog in the bag if it's been raining. I never get misting up on the inside of the windows if it's is unused for a few hours. Or ever, as long as it's being ventilated.
h4rri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yh the carpets are getting wet, the heaters applied and this drives the moisture into the atmosphere within the cabin. I drive it for 5 minutes to work and back and this doesn't give time for the moisture to dissipate. If I leave the windows open a crack, 2mm ish, then it stops this.

It could be coincidence that the wheel was sticky this morning but it's not happened before. I have checked all the carpets etc and they are damp in the drivers side through wet shoes etc but not wet as in water ingress.

I could get a quick release wheel and this would stop the problem I guess as I could take it in at night  Laughing
Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

h4rri wrote:
Yh the carpets are getting wet, the heaters applied and this drives the moisture into the atmosphere within the cabin. I drive it for 5 minutes to work and back and this doesn't give time for the moisture to dissipate. If I leave the windows open a crack, 2mm ish, then it stops this.

It could be coincidence that the wheel was sticky this morning but it's not happened before. I have checked all the carpets etc and they are damp in the drivers side through wet shoes etc but not wet as in water ingress.

I could get a quick release wheel and this would stop the problem I guess as I could take it in at night  Laughing

Exactly! You've got moisture in the cabin that can't get out without a window being opened.  So you've either got no fresh air coming in, or the cabin air can't escape wihout a window opened. Even if you had a water leak into the cabin, I don't think it's likely to cause interior misting. I've had two cars that had blocked aircon drains and sodden carpets. The symptom wasn't misted windows but the sound of water sloshing about when I went round corners.  Crying or Very sad

Wet shoes and respiration shouldn't cause the interior to mist up. I do four five/ten minute journeys every day and mine doesn't mist up whatever the weather conditions. Unless I leave recirc mode on by mistake.

Even a quick-release steering wheel wouldn't stop the problem Laughing. At best it might alleviate one of the symptoms.
johndps

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leather steering wheels are like any other leather...when the top coating, or sealant comes off,
the leather can absorb moisture and flake away.
Furniture clinic do kits for re-finishing leather.
I have had success with leather seats and LEATHER STEERING WHEELS.
Mask off all that isn't to be treated, prep the area, spray colourant, then sealer(either matt or gloss).
Should seal the leather again, if the wheel is in otherwise good condition.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.breakeryard.com/blog/causes-and-fixes-for-condensation/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / etc - non-technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: