eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

An offroader is born... the continuing story

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Vehicle modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MudRaiderUS

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you think imitation is the highest form of flattery cause the girl likes the front bumper on your ride and wants me to put it on her Raider/Shogun we're building. Have some 4" aircraft landing lights I think i can incorporate into it too! Will post pics
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 20:46    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

haylands
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmm sounds interesting, I thought about putting some of those little bug eye type spots in mine but I'd just smash them up... I have a habit of driving into things when off roading.... can't understand why!!!!

Good luck with it, to be honest mines probably a bit over the top at 10mm (3/8" to you!) thick... thinner would be fine....
irmscher

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

enjoyed reading this brilliant truck a credit to you Very Happy
haylands
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

irmscher wrote:
enjoyed reading this brilliant truck a credit to you Very Happy

Thanks for that....

I fitted a new steering idler in March as the original one had signs of wear... well the new one didn't last long... got rather bent... anyway I have now fitted one from a Mk2, got it local for £15, the holes line up ok it's also much tougher than the original...

Here they are side by side, pretty good bend in it... it still worked though, just put the tracking out a bit!!!

Paul83c
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has it bent due to the usage you've pit it through?
idratherbesurfing
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus
Location: France/Belgium/Holland/Switzerland and sometimes Italy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine got bent after launching it up a quarry  Rolling Eyes theyre not happy after the front wheels come back to earth after a 5ft jump  Laughing
haylands
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul83c wrote:
Has it bent due to the usage you've pit it through?

Oh yes... offroad it as much as I do and sooner or later you bend something........ it's now replaced with a stronger one so when it happens again we will find out the next weakest part.....
MudRaiderUS

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

haylands Posted: ........ it's now replaced with a stronger one so when it happens again we will find out the next weakest part.....

It's fun to get to this state of mind, isn't it? Very Happy
Daniel90

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

About that...
I've been searching for solutions about it. Turns out it's better to keep the original steering idler cause it has a tendenceny to flex more. Due to the big bushing. The Mk II one will break sooner than the MK I's.
One night i had nothing to do and so,i've decided to find new ways to reinforce the steering idler. One thing you could to,to make sure it doesn't bend anymore is to weld an ear below the steering idler so that the main shaft will go through it and locked with the factory nut below. So far i think it's the best thing you can do.

These are only suggestions,i appreciate your work so far and i admire your ingeniosity. DIY rulz!
pajerojonas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel90 wrote:
About that...
I've been searching for solutions about it. Turns out it's better to keep the original steering idler cause it has a tendenceny to flex more. Due to the big bushing. The Mk II one will break sooner than the MK I's.
One night i had nothing to do and so,i've decided to find new ways to reinforce the steering idler. One thing you could to,to make sure it doesn't bend anymore is to weld an ear below the steering idler so that the main shaft will go through it and locked with the factory nut below. So far i think it's the best thing you can do.

These are only suggestions,i appreciate your work so far and i admire your ingeniosity. DIY rulz!

Do you have a photo or 2 on that??
Would be great to see how it looks.
Daniel90

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately not. I've done the trick to a friend. A 1989 LWB Pajero on 33x15tires. He done the same thing,swapped the steering idler with a mk II one and cracked it.  In the end,my solution worked and stiil works.
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spent last couple of hours reading through your write up and pics AWESOME.Love it,must admit that i would have it in a big glass case after all that hard work,fantastic Pete well done.One day hopefully i will see it in the metal at a meet
haylands
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venn105, thanks for that. it's next outing is PITP in two weeks so......... just got round to looking at the drivers seat that broke last time out.... something to do with a fat ba$tard sat in it for too long Laughing  Laughing

Took it out and got it apart to find this

Severe case of metal fatigue... the passenger seat was like it when I got the car.

Cleaned it up and welded it back on... used a piece of treadplate to hold the seat cover and foam out the way, had to partially strip the seat and get those darn hog rings off...

I don't think it would last long just welded as the fatigue will have weakend the metal all around there so I used a small scrap piece of 10mm plate to fillet the back, this sits under the seatfoam so can't be seen when back together

Welded it on... good and strong now....

Cleaned it up and gave it a coat of paint and then refitted it.... works great... another cheap fix Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
NYRA
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

good job pete  and love the word cheap  fixs  Wink
haylands
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rear winch packed up a while ago now and I hadn't got around to sorting it... well thought I might need it on Saturday for PITP greenlaning

When I first did it I didn't have the money to get longer cables so I used the short ones it came with and mounted the solenoid under the rear bumper, I did seal it up as best I could with silicon but I guess it didn't work too well....

Looked like this when I got the bumper off

Opened it up to find just a small amount of rust  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

Anyway, longer cables put on and I've moved it into the boot... should be OK now, the front one is just behind the grille and it's been washed by wading dozens of times, but it's still working fine.... silicon must have worked on that one.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Vehicle modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 23 of 25

Jump to: