Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

'97 on 4m40 2.8 DON'T block/blank the EGR valve!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Ricko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 17:23    Post subject: '97 on 4m40 2.8 DON'T block/blank the EGR valve! Reply with quote

Remember most of the 97 onwards trucks  with the 4m40 engine have a fly by wire diesel pump, faults and diags are much more complicated that the older mechanical pumps

the EGR must not be blanked or blocked or disconnected as it willl throw an ecu fault code and force the engine into limp home mode
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 17:23    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

pajemann1

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 23:03    Post subject: Re: '97 on 4m40 2.8 DON'T block/blank the EGR valve! Reply with quote

??

in japan there was the 140 hp versione with ECU, the european and all over the world version with 125 hp are full mechaniccaly activated..as i know...
Tonka
Events rep (North East)
Events rep (North East)

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 23:30    Post subject: Re: '97 on 4m40 2.8 DON'T block/blank the EGR valve! Reply with quote

austinsevenuk wrote:
the EGR must not be blanked or blocked or disconnected as it willl throw an ecu fault code and force the engine into limp home mode

Could you not drill a small (2 - 3mm) hole in the plate so the sensor will report back to the ECU that all is well?  Wink
El Ricko

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 97ish onwards 2.8's are 140hp with electronic diesel control

The ecu needs to get information from a sensor in the inlet manifold and if the egr is not working it causes the engine to idle badly and puts the management light on.

I have tried with a lazer cut plate with a 2mm hole in and the management light came on,  at 5mm the light still came on.  TBH the edc engines i have worked on we all smoke free and there was no need to block the egr
pajemann1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah..mine ones is 99 with 92kw (125 hp) in italy there was just this version...without ecu
pajemann1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s.

there is a post with step by step how to unmount it and clean it?  i've found both for 2.5 but it has been said is different from 2.8, but the user that did it has no avaible image at the link posted
El Ricko

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's basicaly the same as the 2.5 but the pipes/valve are in different positions
pajemann1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

austinsevenuk wrote:
it's basicaly the same as the 2.5 but the pipes/valve are in different positions

k thanks...i'll do it...i'll make you know how it will be
pajemann1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

done

add a blanket and unlinked the rubber pipe...it seems going smoother, now at 1400 rpm it began to push, is like as the turbine push more, i think to feel the engine is more free to push...i don't know if it's placebo effect but somethings i'm sure is changed

so thanks guys;)
astrex101

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI ALL.. is it ok to block egr on a 1995..plus i have a small oil leak coming from back diff Crying or Very sad is ok to weild this ..any help would be helpfull..thanks Confused  Confused  Confused
El Ricko

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes provided  it has a mechanical fuel pump you should be fine
Curt

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:53    Post subject: Re: '97 on 4m40 2.8 DON'T block/blank the EGR valve! Reply with quote

El Ricko wrote:
Remember most of the 97 onwards trucks  with the 4m40 engine have a fly by wire diesel pump, faults and diags are much more complicated that the older mechanical pumps

Just an FYI,

This is a load of bollocks

My Pajero is the fly by wire and ECU controlled fuel pump and i've the EGR removed and it has caused no issues what so ever.

Once the EGR was removed the car was much more responsive and gained a very slight increase in power and MPG. You'd be a fool not to get rid of it.

Who cares about the enviroment anyway? LOL
albideli

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Agree with the above, only the later common rail engines suffer from EML\limp mode problem, the 4m40 later engines are not fully fly by wire and can be blanked\removed no problem, The 2.5 4d56 as per the L200\shoguns are fly by wire but can also be blanked up to the 2006 engines which are still non common rail.

So non commonrail yes, common rail no.
adrianfinbow

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:29    Post subject: egr valve Reply with quote

Hi all my 1997 2.8 swb was running s**t when cold or when sat at lights ect ,so I've cleaned out the injection new glow plugs fuel filter air filter and fitted a stainless egr blanking kit it now runs spot on apart from the engine light comes on at around 2500 revs as it did before has anyone got any ideas about this , if not the bulb comes out at the weekend  Laughing
albideli

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 21:03    Post subject: Re: egr valve Reply with quote

adrianfinbow wrote:
Hi all my 1997 2.8 swb was running s**t when cold or when sat at lights ect ,so I've cleaned out the injection new glow plugs fuel filter air filter and fitted a stainless egr blanking kit it now runs spot on apart from the engine light comes on at around 2500 revs as it did before has anyone got any ideas about this , if not the bulb comes out at the weekend  Laughing

Yep, its the MAF sensor most likely, And just to add, stainless steel blanking plates aren't good when mated next to aluminium, it causes a reaction between the two metals and eats the aluminium away  Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: