2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

15mpg from our 2.8 delica

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> DELICA technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
astra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:55    Post subject: 15mpg from our 2.8 delica Reply with quote

>.< help! the bloomin beast is belching after filling up and we're getting around 186 miles to a full tank of 55 litres of diesel!

now, EGR valve is going to help - have got Brother Bruce on the case as we speak, what else is going to help our fuel consumption? we drive at a steady speed on motorways, around 75mph now we do do a fair few short trips to town and back - around 40 miles round or so and we know that more fuel will be drunk in the starting and stopping, so we've taken our calculations on a long steady motorway drive and we knew it was going to be bad, but boy not that bad!!

we're not technical bods, hubs is fairly practical (although we've still not had clear enough instruction to be able to tackle the damn fan belts! Rolling Eyes ) air filter and changing oil is not beyond him, so we'll be ordering the bits up on pay day Shocked and giving it a bit of TLC, but what else should we be looking in to for more economy?

heeeeeelp!!!! haha
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

dusty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:14    Post subject: your mpg Reply with quote

i was disapointed with the mileage i was getting from a tank until i saw your posting,was getting typically 240 to tankfull. i went on a long motorway journey last week (600 miles round trip) and managed to return 310 on a tank.that was at a steady 75+. worked out a just about 28mpg. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Idea do you engage 4wd on motorway driving ?this is recomended in the handbook
good luck with the work and let us know the results
dusty
astra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:13    Post subject: Re: your mpg Reply with quote

dusty wrote:

Idea do you engage 4wd on motorway driving ?this is recomended in the handbook
good luck with the work and let us know the results
dusty

no??!!! hubs is asking why? lol

cheers Smile

*swaps delica with dusty while his back is turned* Razz
marcsparks

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi astra
Normal things really, Air filter ,Fuel filter,EGR vlave and as for the oil change go to quick fit £26.00 including the filter cost more than that for you to buy the oil Shocked now i know most peeps slag off KF but at the end of the dayif they screw up you have got a come back ,my delica is booked in this week to have the oil changed with them.
Anyway back to task in hand Shocked (behave ureself i meant the mpg)
You could also try getting some millers diesel plus fuel additive ,you add 10ml i think it is to every 25ltrs of fuel and this will clean the injectors and get all the crud out of the system,i used it on the paj and it is blinding stuff,got to get some more for the delica tho.
Hth Marc 8)
myothercarworks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 13:46    Post subject: fan belts Reply with quote

Hi
You will find detailed intructions on fitting the fan belt under your ad fanbelts. It realy is a easy job and will take no more then 5 mins at that.
The MPG on the delica is rubbish, I get around 22 to 23 MPG mixed driving. I but it down to the auto box, that takes a lot of power from the engine. My TDI discovery returned 28 MPG and 25 towing a 24 foot boat. god knows what the delica will do. maybe its not so good after all, but her indoors wanted a auto. Surprised
astra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 16:57    Post subject: Re: fan belts Reply with quote

myothercarworks wrote:
Hi
You will find detailed intructions on fitting the fan belt under your ad fanbelts. It realy is a easy job and will take no more then 5 mins at that.
The MPG on the delica is rubbish, I get around 22 to 23 MPG mixed driving. I but it down to the auto box, that takes a lot of power from the engine. My TDI discovery returned 28 MPG and 25 towing a 24 foot boat. god knows what the delica will do. maybe its not so good after all, but her indoors wanted a auto. Surprised

after your previous comment when i asked a question, i can be forgiven for ignoring any 'advice' you may have.
astra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcsparks2002 wrote:
Hi astra
Normal things really, Air filter ,Fuel filter,EGR vlave and as for the oil change go to quick fit £26.00 including the filter cost more than that for you to buy the oil Shocked now i know most peeps slag off KF but at the end of the dayif they screw up you have got a come back ,my delica is booked in this week to have the oil changed with them.
Anyway back to task in hand Shocked (behave ureself i meant the mpg)
You could also try getting some millers diesel plus fuel additive ,you add 10ml i think it is to every 25ltrs of fuel and this will clean the injectors and get all the crud out of the system,i used it on the paj and it is blinding stuff,got to get some more for the delica tho.
Hth Marc 8)

ahh kk just spoke to hubs, we've had a fair bit of trouble with KF in the past, but you are right, at least you have come back Wink so we'll certainly get it in for an oil change after pay day Smile

task in hand? aww spoilsport! hehe

hubs usually uses slick 50 in every car he's ever had, i think we gave it the full slick 50 treatment when we first got it, so it's prolly due for some more fuel additive, i'll get him to give milners a ring and ask the usual questions, am sure we'll at least try it! Smile

cheers for the tips! was as we thought, the poor old beast just wants some TLC Wink
HarryJAllastars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
do you engage 4wd on motorway driving ?this is recomended in the handbook

Are you sure that's right? I'm sure I read that for dry motorway driving it should be in 2WD mode?

I've left the manual in the Delica and am a little too lazy tonight to venture outside to check it. Wink

On my foray up from Southampton I returned about 27mpg in 2WD mode, travelling at a steady pace. After the 135 odd miles the fuel gauge was only down just over a quarter.

Seán
Ginja Nutz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astra wrote.......

Quote:
the poor old beast just wants some TLC

hubs or the Delica ?? Wink

As for motorway driving, the L400 is happy to do it in 2WD or 4WD, 2WD being 'more economic'. This, however, is not the case for the L300 where 2WD is required.

MPG
I travelled from Norwich to Plymouth using the motorways in 2WD.
For the 1st leg of the journey from Norwich to Bristol (hi Bristol posse !) I stuck to 70mph (near enough constant with no stopping) and got 24mpg.
For the 2nd leg, I travelled 9*mph and through the lumpy counties of Devon and Somerset (still along motorways & dual carriageway) and got 20mpg.
Although these figures are not 'efficient', I personally find them acceptable, but would still be happy try anything that could improve it.
marcsparks

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I travelled 9*mph and through

hehehehe i bet that took some time then GN Wink Wink Wink

Marc 8)
astra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ginja Nutz wrote:
Astra wrote.......

Quote:
the poor old beast just wants some TLC

hubs or the Delica ?? Wink

awww neither beast feeling up to much at the moment.. all together now.. awwwwwww!!
Wrecknett

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 20:22    Post subject: Poor MPG Reply with quote

Astra you are lucky mine used to get that then I discovered the trip on the speedo was reading in miles not kilometers but I am brand new to these animals. It gets around 20 to21 , if I keep flooring it 15. On a motorway 70s and 80s are out cos the gauge just drops like a stone, you can watch the needle moving down at high speed. The mpg is a bit of a shock, you think diesel I will get mega mpg. I think we have just been Tangoed. Still love mine Laughing Laughing
Wrecknett
1996 2.8 td Spacegear Exceed Auto
Dave Clarke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 21:33    Post subject: fuel Reply with quote

Ive got L300 and get about 20 even on a run,had 3 British L300 and always got 30 they dont have EGR as far as i know so im getting it blanked off asap to see if it improves it,i know its auto and so on but it shouldnt be a third worse i shouldnt think
purchase

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been struggling to get 20mpg out of my 2.8 deli, but after changing the TPS, I am getting 24 easily for the same trips (hilly).

Regards
Howard
astra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

purchase wrote:
I have been struggling to get 20mpg out of my 2.8 deli, but after changing the TPS, I am getting 24 easily for the same trips (hilly).

Regards
Howard

sorry dude, what is TPS?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> DELICA technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: