Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Avondale Grampian 4 berth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Caravanning discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbro
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 14:12    Post subject: Avondale Grampian 4 berth Reply with quote

Been looking around online at various sites. Seems an awful lot of 2003 caravans in England for less than £2k????????   Seems iffy to me

Found an Avondale Grampian 4 berth from 1995 at a local dealer for £3300, although I could haggle it down a bit
It seems in good condition(to me) and I'd get a warranty as they're a reputable local dealer and have been trading for years.
Here's the link to the van http://www.overlandcaravans.co.uk/caravansdetails.asp?id=918

Seems to have all the bits, cassette toilet which I've been told is the thing to have, shower, plenty of space, cupboards, etc, blown heating, fridge, cooker
Apparently, it comes with spare wheel, stabiliser, Alko hitch????

Does anyone know these vans and is there anything I need to look for?
Hoping to go in after the new year and see what we can agree on

Any opinions on it?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 14:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

noddy-hol

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

the avondale will be better quality.....chuck on a good awning on and a couple of annexes for the kids
DawnH
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks a tidy van for the year!!!! Wink

the extra's on the side doesn't say it has a spare wheel though!!!!  Confused
parksy

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replied on your awning topic before I saw this Jimbro  Rolling Eyes  
Avondale unfortunately ceased trading earlier this year so sourcing panels for an Avondale in the future might be problematic.
Having said that the example shown in the link looks clean and tidy and Avondales were quality caravans in their day.

Have a good luck inside round the front and rear panels and don't be afraid to lift seat cushions to look in bed boxes particularly at the front corners   ( take a torch)
Open cupboards and look where the roof joins the side panels, look carefully on the awning side. Gently poke the wallboard with your index finger, any softness or bubbling will be a sure sign of damp caused by water ingress and any musty smells are also a dead give away.
Check the front and rear abs panels for hairline cracks, later models were prone to panel cracking so best to be sure  Shocked  
If a spare wheel is fitted it will be located below a lift up hatch inside the caravan on the floor near to the entrance.
It might be worth you while trying to get a few quid knocked off the asking price now that you are armed with the knowledge that Avondale have shut down and parts might be harder to come by or you might try to blag some free kit from the dealer.  Laughing  
An awning, Leisure battery, Aquaroll and Wastemaster wouldn't come amiss  Laughing if you don't ask you won't get
Jimbro
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Parksy.
I'm hoping to offer around £2500 and see how it goes.
I'll want at least 3 months warranty(hoping for 6) as I can make sure any issues are dealt with before it runs out

Still saving the overtime cash so we're hoping to buy in the new year
parksy

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never paid the asking price on the screen yet Jimbro.
Used caravans are at a premium this year because the manufacturers didn't reckon on the credit crunch making stay at home holidays more popular so they didn't make enough new caravans.
There are members of the Practical Caravan forum who ordered brand new caravans from the NEC show last October being offered delivery as late as May  Shocked
The best thing to do is to make the salesman really work at getting the sale  Twisted Evil
Don't show any enthusiasm or make too many positive remarks and if a silence develops make sure that the salesman speaks first. If you feel that you have to fill the silence and speak he will take that as a sign that you're hooked  Very Happy
Be prepared to 'go away and think about it' and don't mention any sum of money that you may have to spend.
Haggle, haggle then haggle some more, the salesman won't like you but who cares!  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
If you come away with the caravan of your choice at a reasonable price and with a good deal on accessories ( if they won't give you any negotiate 10% off all future purchases from their shop) and the salesman is curled up on the floor crying then my work here is done  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Caravanning discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: