Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Stuck in 4 wheel drive

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thazlett

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 19:07    Post subject: Re: stuck in 4H Reply with quote

thazlett wrote:
doobre wrote:
does anyone have pictures of this 'operation'.?? please.
also I am left hand drive but suppose it's very similar "just around the other way"..?
help anyone.!!!
cheers CD

" What I did at this point was remove it, used a socket extension(screw driver will do) to slide the [ shaped piece down toward the back of the Paj, this will select 2H.

Actually I do not believe it selects 2H, I think it's 4Lc, but moving the [ piece down will be the easiest way to get the lever back on.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 19:07    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

theshootist
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this hapopen to me today.

Off roading while hunting.

Went for 4WD with diff lock - got as far as 4WD only and stuck there.

Will be trying this fix tomorrow when daylight.

I had to drive 40 miles back on motorway in 4WD ( diff NOT locked )  - is this going to have caused any excessive wear and tear ?
thazlett

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

theshootist wrote:
I had this hapopen to me today.

Off roading while hunting.

Went for 4WD with diff lock - got as far as 4WD only and stuck there.

Will be trying this fix tomorrow when daylight.

I had to drive 40 miles back on motorway in 4WD ( diff NOT locked )  - is this going to have caused any excessive wear and tear ?

This has actually happened to me again since I posted on this last..lol    I had to drive home in 4H on the motorway, only thing I can imagine it will do is put more strain on the tyre so they wear faster and less MPG... but I wouldn't worry about it mate.
NJV6

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it won't have done any damage, its designed to run in 4H on the road for better roadhandling
theshootist
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an awkward job !!

I got the centre console off but it was really hard because the selector lever was stuck. If it had been stuck further forward in 2wd low, I dont think I could have gotten the console out.

Anyway, from there it got worse...................

I tried to take off the 3 nuts around the lever instead of the 4 bolts holding the plate to the transmission case.

One of the nuts came off. The other 2 have loosened but then all three bolts are spinning freely so I have no idea how I will get the nuts back on.

Came back to PC, realised my mistake and undone the 4 bolts instead. But the plate they were holding on does not want to move. It looks like there is a gasket or sealer in between ?

Is it safe to tap a wedge in to seperate them ?

And what will I do about the spinning 3 bolts ??

HELP AARRGGHHHHH
theshootist
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK finally got it fixed.

This forum has yet again proved how invaluable it is in fixing little problems like this. Well worth the membership fee !!

The plate looks like it had NEVER been moved since 1996. Lots of brute force and lots of swearing and it suddenly came free.

5 seconds to re-set the black [ shaped thingy and then put the whole lot back together ( I managed to hold the spinning bolts while attaching the nuts on the lever )

Took a long time but better than spending loads at the garage !!!
loff

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Web forums are invaluable when you need help with your vehicle. I just recently bought my Pajero, and have found lots of useful tips and information here. With my Volvo 244 i blew my engine and was back on the road with a new one 24 hours later thanks to the Norwegian Volvo forum.
thazlett

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has happened to me yet again. But this time the removing and reassembling trick has not worked. I cannot move the selector mechanism with a screwdriver at all... seems like my transfer is seized. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thazlett

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 0:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update, I sorted it, it was the the ] piece this time (other side). Have greased it all and reassembled Smile Much smoother now.
pajmanAl

Zodiac: Cancer
Location: Blackpool A strange place where no body knows whose local any more?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

yet again, another invaluable thread from the POCUK forum members, just freed mine off tonight - 20 min's start to finish

Cheers

Al
trispaj

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 17:28    Post subject: thankyou Reply with quote

This helped me out and was the source of my snag earlier. I'll post photos to help others later tonight below.
trispaj

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photobucket now want ££ to host photos so unfortunately unable to link photos in to help others.

Once the interior plastic is out of the way to access the transfer case top, as above do not undo the 3 bolts in a triangular config they just hold the gear lever on. undo the 4 10mm bolts in a rectangular shape around the sides. Then lift the selector out and you will be able to see the internals underneath. My truck was stuck in 4H so upon opening it the RH ] was slightly forward of the LH [  - The use of the [  ] will make sense when you open it up.

There is a sprung rod that applies pressure on the gear stick underside so when repositioning your selector to bolt down the cover push it over to the left as you reseat it all. I greased the underside of the selector assembly prior to refitting and its silky smooth now and all feels good.

Hope the comments help anyone else in need. Total time around an Hr as I go was going slow and I hoovered all the carpet while the trim was out etc and dremelled a burr from the underside of the selector guide. Easy job and big thankyou to those who have contributed in the thread to make it easy to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: