Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Increase boost pressure on 4M40

Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Vehicle modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikka

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 21:37    Post subject: Increase boost pressure on 4M40 Reply with quote

I've fitted in a boost controller and a boost gauge to adjust the maximum boost pressure. My problem is I cannot increase the boost over 0.9bar, the pressure relief valve will trigger when i floor the pedal and the boost drop to 0.6bar around.
I feel like putting some spacer to increase the spring pressure in the relief valve (cheap solution)
or maybe remove the stock relief valve and block the hole with cap, custom a pipe between intake and intercooler with aftermarket BOV fitted on it?

Anyone have any solution for this problem?

I would like to show you guys my work, but I cannot post any pic, it says "anti-spam".... Sad
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 21:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

samsjeep

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I unsrcewed mine and then filled it with resin glue and then after set screwed it back in. I feel this is safe if you keep an eye on the gauge in the cab. I run mine at 14psi. Although I have had a go at 16psi i felt the engine might not like it?

14psi is the standard max pressure.  Very Happy
mikka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some Thailand's 4M41 triton boosting 2.8bar (standard internal) and 3.6bar, if a 4M41 can withstand that much amount of pressure, I think 1.5bar should be ok for 4M40, I only doubt the TF035 turbo cannot handle it.

I will try block the valve and adjust the max fueling this week, I hope do see some result.
samsjeep

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, i would like to experiment with mine more, but at the moment its my everyday car for use. So, i don't won't to blow the motor.
unclepoo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

The intercooler on these is quite small and so is the turbo so heat can become a problem. Try wireing on the fan under the intercooler so it runs all the time the engine is running, helps cool the charge at slower speeds.
With higher boost levels, you`ll get better MPG at motorway speeds...if you drive at the same speed as before etc.
mikka

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is true that the intercooler is quite small, I cannot find a way to connect the intake pipe out for front mount intercooler. The only way for front mount is to cut holes, which is not ideal for me.
Wiring to make the fan run at all time isn't a good idea, cause the fan is almost running all the time.
I found out one thing, after I mod the intake to open pod K&N filter, the exhaust black smoke become very less, and I can turn the max fuel screw nearly one full round to see some black smoke come out.
El Ricko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.5 bar is way too high!

at 1.2bar my mechanical 4m40 got diesel knock and struggled to keep pulling

mine is set to just under 1 bar with the fueling adjusted to match bar the boost compensator and is quicker than my mates identical 140ps 98 electronic powered 4m40

the intercooler works well enough, i have been looking into a modern aluminium replacment intercooler and modern hoses.

the fan is a waste of space unless you sit in traffic or offroad at slow speeds in the desert!

dump the fan and shroud and possibly look into a replacement intercooler of same size but better design
mikka

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've blocked the relief valve and tried to increase boost. Now i encounter a problem, the boost seems cannot reach over 1bar, once i adjust it higher pressure, the boost pressure dropped back to 0.8bar. Is this because of boost cut? or TF035 turbo's maximum capability?

4M41 can do 45psi (3.1bar) using standard internal, 4M40 cannot do 1.5bar? Crying or Very sad  Mad
El Ricko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not sure where you are getting your numbers from but 3 bar is a figure no engine can take

a tuned impreza turbo will only be pushing 1.3 bar for 300 bhp!,  and 2bar for 420bhp!

Your pajero will never push much past 1bar of boost unless you turn the fueling up,  the reason your boost is dropping back to 0.8 is that the fuel delivery is running lower that the level needed.

You need to alter the max fuel screw on the pump a LITTLE and possibly alter the boost compensation diaphram.

but if you are planning on working for 3bar i would sell up and move on to a race or rally engine!!
mikka

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Mitsubishi-Trition-4x4-32gls-4m41-t192393.html
http://www.monster-p-industries.com/

[quote]i am defentially not worried about the head or any gaskets, as these turbo diesels, esspecially the renouned 4m41, and 4d56 can handle up to 45psi of boost. thats alot.... i am running what between 2 to 3/5 of max boost.
the only problem i get, is my transmission gets hot, even with really good oil. thus i have made up my mind to install another oil cooler, attached to the orginal one, thus having a dual oil cooler.
other mods as such are amada xtreme 2.5" nitrogen subtank shocks for the front, and 3" nitrogen subtank shock for the rear and a 2" adjustable and greasble shackel.
soon enough i hope to get some paint job on the fenders, or wheels if i dont get them changed, then much larger turbo, perhaps after that custom mtm big size 6nozzel injectors.
my plan all in all is to get this triton to high 13's. bloody good for a 2ton diesel truck....
so i still got quite a few mods to go. [quote/]
mikka

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry i mistaken submit the post, i need to preview the quote's code, it seems like the code is wrong and i cannot edit my own post...

above there is a 4M41 triton I've been talking about, he is now boosting 2.8bar and have some serious acceleration power, there is another thailand's triton doing 3bar+

Diesel engine and petrol engine are different, diesel engine's boost can be a lot higher than petrol's engine.
My target is 1.5bar  Very Happy , which most stock turbo can handle, tomorrow I'll try up the fuel and tell you the result

http://www.newtriton.net/myshed.php?view=1&id=296
mikka

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

some nice photo of my setup, the air filter's separator is a bit ugly Smile
K&N filter, silicon hose, and works boost controller (my local's performance part manufacturer)
mikka

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've adjust the fuel screw few times and broke some wire at the fuel pump there....  Sad
Total is about 1+3/4 turn. Now i see some black smoke but still good enough, the engine run more smooth and less noisy.
Now the problem comes, the boost doesn't go beyond 0.95bar even after i adjust the fuel.

I tried to adjust the boost controller a lot higher than the previous setting, theoritically I will already get 1.5bar reading on my gauge, but the boost drop back to stock pressure 0.8bar. I've seen this problem in my friend's turbo car and were told to be ECU boost cut problem.
Anyone got any more idea about this problem?
Pajero 4D56

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate.....you need to know that you are using a stock engine and stock turbo......it won't produce power safely at 1.5 Bar as it is not design for that kind of job Wink

I recommend u to block off the Pressure relief valve by some cap or a HKS SSQV,it produce a nice sound too Razz

The max u could try is at 1.2Bar or if u wan to have a trip to Puchong to buy a new engine,you can try at 2Bar Laughing
mikka

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean, everyone say that too, but until I see the thailand's Triton 4M41, I pop my eye out and go do more research on diesel engine. Stock internal running 2.8bar+, I'm stun! He is selling the upgrade and told that no need to modify the internal. I know the stock turbo cannot produce enough flow rate for 2bar, but at least 1bar above right? I've trip to Sunway, all those people only know skyline, honda, evo.... they don't know anything about diesel.

My problem still is stuck at 0.9bar, once increase the boost, it will drop back to 0.8bar (peak), 0.7bar mostly. BTW, I already block the relief valve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Vehicle modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: