QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

100 Amp Fuse or Fusible Link? Is there a difference?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Electrical issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Norton

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:28    Post subject: 100 Amp Fuse or Fusible Link? Is there a difference? Reply with quote

1993 Pajero V46 LWB 2.8 tdi

Hi All,

Does anyone know for sure if there is a specific difference between a "Fuse" and a "Fusible Link". Most schematics use a different symbol and a different item description, but what, exactly, is the difference?

At the front right corner in the engine bay fuse box, at an angle to the rest of the fuses, are 2 fuses/fusible links. One (the foremost) is 60A, the other 100A. These are both of the type that are clamped with a small bolt at either end. I blew the 100A when replacing the alternator (prat!) and replaced it with a 100A fuse purchased from a local autoshop which, shortly after fitting, fried to a crisp. Purchased and fitted another of the same which, as soon as I started the engine, emitted smoke (it may have been steam if the fuse was damp, but I suspect it was smoke) from the top. Promptly removed it!

Further question, are these 2 devices (the 60A and 100A thingies) actually fuses, or fusible links contained in 'fuse' type housing? I've been Googling 'fusible link' and most of what I find seems to relate to Chrysler cars that fit an inline wire wrapped in a heavy lump of plastic. I've not seen anything like that on the Pajero. Confused

At the moment I'm running the Paj with a made up link consisting of 2 tags from an old fuse having an appropriate number of lengths of domestic fuse wire soldered across them. With the engine running at 1000 rpm +, and the voltage at 14.0/14.4 volts, all lights full on (heads + spots) and the heater on, at which state I would expect the alternator to be punching out a fair bit of current, there is no heat whatsoever being generated in this improvised link.

My suspicion is that a 100A fuse may not be designed to continuously carry the kind of current that a fusible link would.

Is there any merit in my hypothesis?  dontknow

Thanks in advance

Tony N
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Taraswolf

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have more or less got it about the difference, the fuses are really a QUICK BLOW protection for the circuit ie: a 10amp fuse will blow if the circuit gets a surge/spike over the rating of the fuse where as the fuseable link wont and they only use fuseable links on high current circuits 30amp+ circuits so the links are pretty hefty when you compare it to a similar rated fuse, but DO NOT use fuseable links as a replacement for a fuse as you run the risk of burning the circuit out before the fuseable link MELTS  Crying or Very sad
Tony Norton

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Taraswolf,

I understand what you say and can well imagine that, as, in the schematic for the alternator circuit, the 100A device is described as a fusible link not a fuse, a 100A fuse is likely to blow at the slightest provocation when receiving a spike from a 90A alternator.

It looks as though I may have to bite the bullet and pay whatever extortionate price the local Mitsi dealer wants for a 'proper' fusible link.

Thanks again

Tony N
Taraswolf

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

try a breakers if you have 1 near you or there are loads on eblur breakeing pajero's.
Tony Norton

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that,

all sorted now, but it did cost me £7.33 from the local Mitsi dealer, and I'm now carrying my 'bodge job' replacement in the glove locker - just in case.

Tony N
Felix
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local car parts place has all sorts of fusable links and fuses on their shelves, got my 80A one for about £3.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Electrical issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: