QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Guide to show whats wrong with your Pajero Charging System..

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Electrical issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pajero 4D56

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 17:50    Post subject: Guide to show whats wrong with your Pajero Charging System.. Reply with quote

I find alot of Pajero owners still puzzled with his Pajero electronics strange behavior.....Pajero electronics especially the MK1's one are pretty tough and any electrical faults usually caused by the Alternator,Pajero wiring system is not same as many Japanese or any continent car so it not strange when alot of people even electrician itself also don't know what was wrong with it......

So i gonna explain what wrong could happen to your Pajero electrical system and what action should be taken to correct it at here.....
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
I believe alot of people knows that when a tiny light with Battery logo on it lit up,it show that the Alternator or the Battery on the car is gone.....but this is not same with our lovely Japan made Pajero,when there is any trouble with the charging system,it will show up 3 light,here is a list which is about what light will lit up when the charging system is fail,this is according to model and engine :

GASOLINE

2.0T I4(MK1) : Exhaust Temp Light , AT-Temp Light , And a Battery Light

2.6 I4 (MK1)  :AT-Temp Light, And a Battery Light

2.6 I4 (MK2)  :AT-Temp Light,And a Battery Light

3.0 V6 (MK1) : Exhaust Temp Light , AT-Temp Light , And a Battery Light

3.0 V6 (MK2) : Exhaust Temp Light , AT-Temp Light , And a Battery Light

3.5 V6 (MK2) : Exhaust Temp Light , AT-Temp Light, And a Battery Light

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
                                                                                  DIESEL
2.3TDI(MK1) : Glow-Plug Light "glow from red to green" ,Water In Fuel Light , And a Battery Light

2.5TDI(MK1) : Glow-Plug Light "glow from red to green" , Water In Fuel Light , And a Battery Light

2.5TDI(MK2) : AT-Temp Light , Water In Fuel Light , And a Battery Light

2.8TDI(MK2) : Glow Plug Light "glow from red to green" ,Water In Fuel Light, And a Battery Light

*Glow-Plug Light will illuminate only to the model which is equiped with a Single Relay Pre-Heat System
*AT-Temp Light will illuminate only to the model which is equiped with an Autobox
*Exhaust Temp Light will illuminate only to the model which is equiped with a Exhaust Gas Temp Monitoring System (EGTMS)

Heres a Pic showing a MK1 Warning light :

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Heres are few symtomps of when your Alternator are about to gone:

1)The Glow-Plug ECU will click non-stop when there is an electrical load,eg. Head lamp, AC are turned on and the car are idle at below 1000Rpm.....when you rev it the noise will gone but will come back once the engine is idle.....

2)The Alternator L-Terminal start to give out Voltage when the Ignition is off and give voltage higher than 4V when the ignition switch is on but the engine is stopped.....

3)When a known fully charged battery are installed in the Pajero,if the Voltage of the charging system is fluctuate according to rev eg. when at idle the voltage was 12.8 but when rev to 2000Rpm it goes to 16V......

Some diagnostic to show condition of your alternator:

1)Connect a Voltmeter across the battery terminal,Start the engine and observe the voltage:

12.8V when Idle but will go over 16V when the engine is revved to 2000RPM = The internal Regulator is faulty
12.8V when idle but will climb to 13V but will not go over 13V and you heard a belt slipping noise=Check the tighness of the Drive Belt
11.9V when idle but will not change or fluctuate a little bit when the engine is revved= Alternator are not charging,check the wiring,if the wiring are intact,the alternator are faulty
14.5V when idle with no electrical load but drop to lower than 13V when all electronics are turned on to give full electrical load= Alternator Ampere/output aren't enought to cope with the electrical load
14.5V when idle with no electrical load and when all electronics are turned on to give full electrical load,the voltage maintain above 13V- 15.5V,the charging system is perfectly normal

*Sometime when the battery is fully charged,the voltage when the engine is idle and no electrical load is above 13V only

Thats all i wanted to write about......hope this will help more people to solve thier electrical problem on thier Pajero without spending a fortune Wink  Very Happy

Last edited by Pajero 4D56 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 17:34; edited 6 times in total
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 17:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

haylands
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wilson, I expect that will help people a lot... hope I don't have to use it soon.....
Pajero 4D56

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete..... Very Happy

But this won't help to sort out fryed CB earth cable problem Laughing  Laughing

I m joking anyway Razz
dunkinx

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

how come during start up, my voltage only reads 12.3 volts. but if i rev to 1.5k rpm, it does 14.15volts. but at idle at 800 rpm it sometimes goes down to 12.5 volts. but after a few minutes of driving it normalizes to 13.8volts.  i notice that whenever the AC compressor engages with all loads turned on. it still goes down to 12.3 volts at idle,  is there anyway to  increase output at idle?

2.8 auto NL pajero
Pajero 4D56

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunkinx wrote:
how come during start up, my voltage only reads 12.3 volts. but if i rev to 1.5k rpm, it does 14.15volts. but at idle at 800 rpm it sometimes goes down to 12.5 volts. but after a few minutes of driving it normalizes to 13.8volts.  i notice that whenever the AC compressor engages with all loads turned on. it still goes down to 12.3 volts at idle,  is there anyway to  increase output at idle?

2.8 auto NL pajero

It can be either your Alternator Regulator had fault or the Alternator itself doesn't produce enough charge Wink
whitehound

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Pajero 4D56.

I have a 2.8 Diesel swb pajero and my ABS light started coming on.  Turned out that the alternator was overcharging
uncle g

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have about 11.9v at battery but no lights on my K reg 2.5 TD ? any ideas ? thanks
Selkent1

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

My symptoms are interesting. All the lights on the center console and heater controls are dim (ish), and it takes a while for the two 4wd lights to stop flashing. However, if i sit in traffic after driving for a while and turn a lot of stuff on, they start flashing again, and the wipers are slow as well. If i turn things off and give it a good rev, they turn off and the wipers speed up. What does this sound like?

Phil
Selkent1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, i have the water in fuel filter light on mine, but upon draining there is nothing coming out, so could this point to alternator?

Phil
Selkent1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone, someone......

Phil
dpsPAJERO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

selkent1 ,check your battery voltage first, engine off it should be above 12volts, at idle should be around 13v to 14.5v when rev to 1.5k ,let us know  Very Happy
Selkent1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have a tester! Will get one as soon as poss.

Phil
Waini4896

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I was never going to be a mechanic overnight even after your clear explanation............ Wink
vjsunesh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:26    Post subject: maintian 13.7 Reply with quote

i had checked and found 13.7 maintain idle and with load...using N70z batt
trust340

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 15:37    Post subject: AT and BAT lite come on intermittently at the same time. Reply with quote

Hi Pajero 4D56

I have a 1997 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.5 V6. 8 months ago I bought a new alternator from the UK as they surprisingly are a fraction of the cost. I live in Dubai (Middle East) however after 6 months I note the AT and BAT light come on intermittently at the same time for about 15/60 sec. Did all the usual checks for wiring faults etc etc. I was told that maybe the reason could be that the alternators from the UK have a different heat ceiling then the alternators for the Middle East. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Electrical issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: