QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Towing up/down mountains

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alec

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 14:40    Post subject: Towing up/down mountains Reply with quote

Hi all

We have towed in Austria and Switzerland but only a trailer tent with a 2ltr Laguna, all loaded up the gunnels, and no problems (only altitude).

What we have looked at are camp sites at 800 to 1500 metres above sea level Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes. But this time with a 1200kg caravan in tow + the Paj loaded up to the gunnels.
I know the Paj is the best Very Happy Very Happy but is there anyone out there who has towed in mountains. It's not so much up it's the coming down with a 'van pushing me. Several years ago had over heated breaks solo on a mountain road. This time it will be in the french Pyrenees.

Alec
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 14:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Philco

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope........havn't towed in the mountains but the hills of North Devon can be a guide...........basically

1) your caravan will be "braked" therefore as the weight of the 'van pushes against the towball, the caravan brakes are applied

2) with the auto gear lever in position 2 or L , engine braking will reduce the necessity to use your brakes........its a question of travelling at the correct speed for the circumstances

Find yourself a steep hill close to home if you can and try it out if necessary Very Happy
bob of the north

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to say i am a big lover of using engine braking.
compaired to a manual gear box i find the auto box a little lacking in that department.

dont get me wrong there is a great deal of torq applied but it just seems that it does not apply at the right speed.

take for instance while out green laning in the dales yesterday there was a strech of washed out road that could not be taken at speeds anything above 10mph and it ment keeping my foot on the brake nearly all the way down it even though i was in L

my mate in his manual had no problem at all engine braking and keeping his foot of the brake.

it did start to worry me a little that i might start suffering fade as i neared the bottom
Kool

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
take for instance while out green laning in the dales yesterday there was a strech of washed out road that could not be taken at speeds anything above 10mph and it ment keeping my foot on the brake nearly all the way down it even though i was in L

Bob,

Thats scary,

On a washed out road, if you had it in 4LLc, the engine braking would be much more effective. In standard 2H or 4H, using 'L' would only give slight engine braking..

I'd hate to go down a bad slope using foot brakes...... I'd be sh*tless.

Try it the next time....

Dont use 4LLc on road though Alec.....

Kev
Rob Barker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 13:26    Post subject: Towing uphill Reply with quote

I've not had too many problems towing uphill, been over the alps (St Gothard) a couple of times in my 2.5 and had the A/T light flash a couple of times, just pulled over and let the engine tick over for a bit and it soon cooled down.
I did however, have some problems with my 2.8 last year due to a blown torque converter oil seal which resulted in me depositing 2.5 gallon of ATF all around europe but I think that this was a problem that existed when I got the car. Strangely enough the A/T light never came on so I guess that the box never got hot and there's some pretty big hills between here and Croatia via Austria and Slovenia.
I've since changed the oil seal and haven't needed to top up the ATF and there's no sign of the leak as yet, looking on the bright side, I also don't need to waxoyl the car. I've also fitted an additional oil cooler to make sure it remains cool, I figured that £85 is better than a £1500 rebuild.
bob of the north

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

kev crowley wrote:
Quote:

Bob,

Thats scary,

On a washed out road, if you had it in 4LLc, the engine braking would be much more effective. In standard 2H or 4H, using 'L' would only give slight engine braking..

I'd hate to go down a bad slope using foot brakes...... I'd be sh*tless.

Try it the next time....

Dont use 4LLc on road though Alec.....

Kev

will try it next time ...cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: