QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Rear Fog Lights - in the rear light cluster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Technical FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulgh

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:34    Post subject: Rear Fog Lights - in the rear light cluster Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've been asked lots of times to E Mail this rear fog light wiring diagram, and I thought it might be helpful to post it on the site.

The wiring diagram is to convert part of your rear light cluster into part time fog lights.  During normal day and night time driving both brake lights and night lights in each light cluster will work as normal.  When you switch on the rear fog lights, the bottom brake lights in each light cluster will convert to fog lights, and remain permanently on, while the top light in each cluster continues to work as a brake and night light.  When you switch off the rear fog lights the bottom lights in each cluster reverts back to being a brake and night light again.

There has been a bit of a controversy in the forum about fitting fog lights in the rear light clusters, but to date I've never had any problem with the police or MOT testers, although you might have to explain to the MOT tester where the rear fog lights are, and how they work.
I've also noticed that some Shoguns also use the bottom light in the main light clusters as rear fog lights, instead of the lights in the bumper.

Relay ID (on mine) 7DB1202   30A 14VDC  Go to friendly auto electricians (not Halfords) and explain what you're doing and they should give you the right one.  I paid about £3.00

Wire. Use 0.75mm wire.  Connectors. Use blue crimp type.  A piggy back connector is a spade connector with another lug to accept another spade connector.

I assume you have a rear fog light switch in the dashboard (adjacent to rev counter) or you have an accessory switch mounted somewhere.  

Legal and MOT note:   Whatever switch you use, it must be marked as rear fog light and have an integral warning light to indicate that the rear fog lights are on.

Also rear fog lights must be wired so they only work when the headlamps are on.

Power for the rear fog lights can be taken from the headlamps or fuse 13 which is mounted in the black box adjacent to front battery.  The easiest place to take the power is from one of the headlamp bulbs which is shown on the diagram.  

Connect your wire to the thick red/blue wire that goes to the rear of the headlamp bulb using a piggy back connector or some other suitable connector.  Fit an inline fuse (5 amp) to new wire (shown in red in diagram) and run wire through bulkhead to fog light switch.  Take second wire from fog light switch and run to rear of car.  I've run my cable under door capping and behind interior side trim.

Fit relay to car body. Mine is fitted inside the car under plastic trim behind rear door hinge.  You will also see main wiring loom going through grommet to rear light.  You can use this grommet to put your new wires through to relay.

Attach earth/ground wire from relay terminal 85 to car body (shown in blue).  I used screw that holds relay to car body.

Join rear fog light power supply to terminal 87 using piggy back spade connector, and connect a loop from piggy back on terminal 87 to terminal 86 (shown in red)

Identify brake light wire to bottom rear light bulb holder, wire colour code green. Cut wire going to bottom brake light bulb allowing enough wire to attach a wire connector (About 2 or 3 inches is usually enough)

Join new wire from cut brake light power supply (loom side) and take to relay and connect to terminal 87A (shown in pink)

Connect wire from terminal 30 using piggy back spade connector and connect to brake light bulb wire.

To power the other light cluster, you will have to identify brake light wire again and cut wire  Tape up this wire on the loom side to isolate because this is now not needed, but it will be still be live.

Take wire from piggy back connector on terminal 30 and run over to other light cluster and connect to brake light bulb wire.  I run my wire under the trim that runs along the bottom of the door opening and through the grommet that takes the loom to the other rear light

Good luck,

Paul Very Happy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 17:32    Post subject: Unorthodox Reply with quote

I must be different. I like the extra fog lamps as I like to have even more lights at the rear. Lets see if I can get this right, that's two foggies, five brakies, four sidies, two reversies (which, unfortunately, are not lit up when going forwards) and two indicators. Now when can the lot be on?
Eye ache.
Carlll

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Any chance of that wiring diagram? I have only had my Paj for a few weeks and the 'rear fog' that was mounted under the bumper didn't last long at all - first trip out it broke off! - the fogs in the rear brake cluster sounds good to me! Also heard that the RH reversing light could become a fog light if the lens is painted red?
thanks
more x 4
Shining Star
Shining Star

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

any chance of this being made a sticky in the tech faq? mr moderator please?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Technical FAQ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: