Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Sky in caravan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Caravanning discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minesapasty
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

mungodog wrote:
I don't think any of the above are quite right. I've been using Sky with a portable satellite dish in caravans / motorhomes for some years now. If you take the box and card you use at home, I'm pretty sure you only pick up the freeview channels, not all you subsribe to. For that reason we bought a box and freeview card which stay in the motorhome. Smile

As long as you are camping in an area that can receive Sky (UK and a lot of Western Europe) the dish is lined up correctly and you have the card, and the box that the card is paired to, you will get all of the channels that you would get normally with that card....... (I used to fit satellite and aerials for a living from 1987 until 2009)....... If you take your card and use it in a different box, you will not get any of the premium channels (sports and movies) that you may pay for.

Some areas will require a bigger dish to get the signal strong enough to view,. A lot of portable dishes will be too small, South West Wales and a lot of Scotland require bigger dishes, so do some of the regularly visited Western European countries, Spain needs a 1.6m dish (so not really described as portable Laughing ).
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

mungodog

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Minesapasty,
I know your qualifications - you've been a massive help to me in the past! Smile  As most of our travelling experience is with the small portable "dish in a case" which we mount onto a tripod, and we tend to go up and down the west coast of wales, this would probably explain why we only got freeview as we would not have had enough signal for all channels, we definitely only got free to air channels though with the full package paid for to Sky and the box and paired card taken from home.

To be honest, although we have the set up in the motorhome and it takes only a few minutes to set it all up, as we're away we tend not to use it much anyway, so the free to air stuff is more than enough choice for us.

If Stoney is reading this and has the small satellite dish and thinks he may not pick up what he wants, I have another larger dish in the shed which you're welcome to free of charge if you'll cover cost of postage / courier (it's quite light, but biggish), you do need a tripod or something to mount this onto though.
Jimbro
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

We thought about Sky in our caravan but decided we'd just fit a Freeview box as we've got a spare one
That way, it's just a "normal" aerial required
minesapasty
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbro wrote:
We thought about Sky in our caravan but decided we'd just fit a Freeview box as we've got a spare one
That way, it's just a "normal" aerial required

And a rescan every time you move around to the different camp sites, if they are in different areas......... Jimbro, there are some excellent portable universal aerial about now, that give really good signal strength and quality for digital reception....... The problem is, which way to point the aerial, so that it will receive a signal to scan....... some boxes have a signal strength meter built in to give you an idea, also another way, is to have a nose around and see where the site owner has his aerial pointed....... and point yours in the same direction, but also take note whether the aerial is vertically or horizontally polarised (little spikey things point up and down or left to right) as you will need to alter your aerial in the same way. Wink  Very Happy
Jimbro
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're horizontally polarised here but I have seen vertical in some places.
We also had to get a new Sky dish fitted when we moved in as it was a small dish fitted
Apparently, only good for some parts of S England and Europe and I kept losing signal

I think I've got a 48 element digi aerial lying in the loft doing nowt so it would fit the bill nicely
minesapasty
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily, it depends upon the type of aerial it is......... Group A, B, or C/D are the normal ones....... then there are universal aerials, where the spacing between the dipoles alter as you measure along the length of the aerial.

Group A aerials are used for lower band frequencies of the spectrum that we use in the UK. (Ch21uptp about Ch40)

Group B aerials are mid band (Ch37 upto about Ch55)

Group C/D are the upper end. (Ch50 upto Ch69)

I used to know the Mhz off the top of my head, but can't think just now.  Rolling Eyes

The spacings of the dipoles are calculated to be able to receive the max signal according to the wavelengths used in that band of frequencies (  Rolling Eyes getting too technical yet?).

When you are roaming about the country in your "nomads palace", you need a universal aerial, as they are designed to work in any area, it is just a matter of point and shoot (some need a twist) Laughing Have a look at the Argos catalogue and compare the Gain (in dBs), the higher the gain, the better the signal you will receive, as long as there is one there to receive...... a good one shouldn't be much more than £20

Stop crying Jimbro, it's only money Laughing   Laughing
Jimbro
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Tony
I'm pretty sure the one I've got has evenly spaced dipoles

Looks like I'll be hitting AVC(local sat/tv place) before we go out in the tin tent
minesapasty
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

No probs...... always happy to help if I can, even if I am several thousand miles away at the moment....... I am a great believer of being forewarned can save you a lot of money.

An example of how the general public can be ripped off so easily

An ex-customer of mine, phoned the wife the other night. Her system had failed (motorised dish)...... and wanted me to go sort it out for her...... obviously the call out charge from here would be far too much Laughing  Laughing

Anyway, I was chatting to the dragon wifey on Yahell Messenger last night, when she phoned again, so after she had explained everything to her, Alina typed it all out. It turned out, that as I am not available, she had phoned another local company, they had turned out in their nice new van and after burgering about for a while, told her that she needed a bigger dish Shocked

Now, this system has been working faultlessly for the last 3 1/2 years. A new dish would also need a new motor, as they come in different grades to cope with the extra weight and force that bigger dishes will cause, so it would basically cost her a lot of money, also setting up a motorised system is far more involved than a standard fixed dish....... so I told her, via Alina, that she doesn't need a new dish, they are talking borrox (Eastern language time  Embarassed )......... I told her to follow a procedure, typing it out, and dutifully Alina passed the information on...... 10 minutes later all is working again.

If she hadn't phoned back, she could have been out of pocket by a few hundred notes........ and I very much doubt that they knew how to do a motorised system anyway........  Embarassed Seems I am guilty of Post Hi-Jacking again Very Happy
Turvey
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

minesapasty wrote:
 Embarassed Seems I am guilty of Post Hi-Jacking again Very Happy

I dont think you should be sorry mate  Wink In fact I think you should get a round of applause for helping out someone in their hour of need  congrats  congrats  congrats congrats  congrats  congrats congrats  congrats  congrats congrats  congrats
jockinleeds

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been running SKY in our 'van for over 7 years now.
I have a rare PACE JAVELIN 12v MiniBox hooked to a Sky Minidish on Tripod.
I just use sky card to get most channels - for full subscription you need the box. I do it sometimes when on 2 week hols.
I also have a Quad LNB which means I can run 2 boxes or SKY+ if I want to.
I usually hook up a 2nd TV for Kids etc..
minesapasty
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pace box that you are talking about was designed as being a second box for multiroom....... they are a great little box, but like you say, they are like rocking horse poo now....... the transformer plugs give up the ghost for a pastime, and were swapped out for standard boxes if under warranty. If you ever have a problem, let me know, as I have a couple of the transformers at home........ the boxes themselves rarely gave any problems at all.
bandb666
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

we used to take box & card from home, then picked cheap box up of that auction site & all worked as minesapasty said - not all channels unless card paired to box but was ok for us.
dulux

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a pace mini box in my caravan. never had any probs.  easy to set up with or without sat finder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Caravanning discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: