Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Delica newbie questions

Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> DELICA technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iandennis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:58    Post subject: Delica newbie questions Reply with quote

I've recently acquired a Delica Spacegear Exceed 2.8TD, 1995, 130k km (as evidenced by the comprehensive jap service history) and it seems so far like a great car if, like me, you want to transport a large tribe in comfort.

I have a few questions which I hope someone can help me with. Please excuse me for lumping these together initially, and also if I've missed answers in other threads. I didn't post in 'newbie questions' forum since these points are mainly Delica-specific. Please also excuse my lack of knowledge of diesel/turbo engine matters.

1. I have a 'whooshing' noise from the engine which sounds as though it is turbo-related - it starts around 1500rpm and is gone by 3500rpm; actually it's not simply related to revs, but also to load i.e. it seems to correspond to turbo action. Firstly, is this normal? The noise seemed very obtrusive at first, but I'm now getting used to it and begining to wonder if it's just the way they sound. I have examined the hoses around the manifold/turbo/intercooler and can find no obvious leaks. However, there is some very slight black oil-type residue around the manifold end of the large hose from the rear of the intercooler, but nothing coming out and no signs of the residue on nearby surfaces. I am wondering if it might be the 'exhaust manifold #4' problem discussed elsewhere on the forum. I'm also wondering if I should be driving it until I find out what the problem is.

2. After one week, the fuel consumption is averaging about 23mpg. I was hoping for better, although there was a lot of sitting in traffic during that week. Is there any point in me doing the EGR blocking mod? What sort of improvement can I expect? Are there any risks associated? What about jamie's 'waste gate delay' mod?

3. The overdrive switch appears to be broken - it doesn't feel as if it is latching in/out, and no dash light goes on/off when it's pressed. Should there be any light action? I assume it's stuck with overdrive enabled, since it cruises at 60mph on about 2500rpm, and seems to go through 5 gear ratios to this point from rest. Can I get another switch anywhere? Might the problem be more serious than just the switch?

4. The front driving lamps are missing (or were they fogs?) as is the rear 'bumper' bar. Are replacements available - it looks a bit sorry without them (even though the bars are ***white*** on this one!).

5. The central locking doesn't work (either from driver's door keying or from keyring switch or from driver's armrest locking button). The locks TRY to work momentarily, but just shudder for a moment before the current seems to be removed. Any ideas?

6. Radio: the 303 head unit (type 'B' in the manual) has the usual jap frequency range problem, and radio 2 is starting to grate. I hoped that some sort of jumper/firmware-flash operation might fix this, since I can't imagine that they'd make multiple hardware versions for different regions. Does anyone know? I discovered a nice 6-cd changer under the passenger seat after a few days - it seems to work fine!

7. I've bought a towbar kit from the guy on that auction site - has anyone else got experience with fitting these, especially the electrics?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ian

PS. Great site!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

marcsparks

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian and welcome to the club Very Happy

Ile try to answer as much as i can for you starting at the top Laughing
1) Sounds like it could be turbo noise i have a similar thing on mine and so far its been fine ,i think its really a characterisitc of a diesel engine they breath a lot heavier than a petrol model,seems you have investigated any possible pointers ie hoses etc,the oily problem doesnt sound to serious could just be a slightly loose clip at one stage that has since been tightend

2)23mpg Including a lot of town work isnt too bad you should find a lot better on a run i know i did,you could of course try the usual ,oil change filter change air filter fuel filter and see if that helps.

3)I think the overdrive switch problem is a common one that i seem to remember reading on hikari website(useful links section if you need to take a look) think the only remedy is a new stalk Crying or Very sad poss big bucks from the dealer unless you can get one from a wrecker of course.

4)The front fogs ,you could look out on e b a y for a set theres normally some spots on there that would suit or maybe pop a wanted add on the site here,same again with the rear bumper bar,main dealer may be a bit steep otherwise.

5)not to sure on this one it may be a sticky solenoid or maybe a dodgy connection on the main switches on the drivers door.

6)The radio i have the same system in mine the only way you can get extra bands is to fit a band expander in line this will give you the missing ones altho it wont show them on the display tho,other than that a new stereo is the only answer with englkish bands either double din or single din and install apocket to underneath,(if you do change ile happily buy the stereo and cd unit from you as mine wasnt there (cd shuffler wasnt stereo was but id buy the lot) Crying or Very sad )

7) havent had a towbar of eb ay so not sure how they fit im sure beat or bruce may be abvle to help tho,as for the electrics probably not too bad just a case of testing out and wiring to suit.

Hope ive covered it all for you and if theres anything else just shout hope this helps all the best

Marc 8)
iandennis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc

Thanks very much for all the useful info. I'll think about the radio - initially I was just going to ditch the 303 and head for halfords, until I discovered the changer - now I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks again

Ian
hairyben

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

The turbo on mine made a lot of "whooshing" noise for the first few weeks, I was told it was a sticking wastegate from where it'd been standing 3 months and would go. It went. Does this sound feasable

Central locking- do ALL the locks "try" or is it just the drivers? And are they failing to both lock AND unlock?
iandennis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ben

This is the first I've heard of a waste gate sticking whilst standing idle and fixing itself when use is resumed. This may well fit my case, since (as I mentioned) I have had the feeling that the noise was diminishing during the week or so I've had it. I also know that the car has been basically idle since it came off the boat in November. I think I will leave it a while longer and see if it goes away, since my next effort would be to attack the exhaust manifold, and I've already noticed that not all the bolts are easy to reach. Thanks for this useful info.

On the subject of the central locking: it's ALL the doors which try, not just the driver's, i.e. I can see the passenger and side door catches wiggling a bit but not going over (I don't know about the tailgate). This applies whether locking or unlocking.

Thanks

Ian
hairyben

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats strange. I wonder if the locks are getting a full 12 volts? may be worth applying 12v to the system from an external source straight to one of the motors and seeing if all the locks operate... I'm a bit lost to advise without a wiring diagram but apparantly the POCUK club are getting some manuals in soon, I'll be one of the first customers...
Ginja Nutz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi & Welcome

Quote:
the rear 'bumper' bar. Are replacements available - it looks a bit sorry without them (even though the bars are ***white*** on this one!).

I don't think you can fit one of these and a towbar at the same time. I know I had to take mine off when I fitted the towbar. (The sight of the rear bar is not missed - believe me Smile )

As far as electrics, towbar wiring connection details usually come with the towbar socket. By popping off the light clusters you can soon find the correct car wires to connect to.
If you are still concerned about this, the voice from beyond (PoCUK Admin) tells us that the holy club shoppe will be blessed with a consignment of Russek technical manuals for the L400 soon.
These will contain wiring diagrams Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
iandennis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ginja

I think you might be right about the towbar - I can't see how it could fit with the bumper bar on - actually I can't see how it could fit with the spare wheel in place, come to that! On the other hand, I saw this Delica on that auction site a few weeks ago while I was still shopping, and it seems to have both bumper bar and towbar, but it's hard to tell:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2460750218&category=18308

I'm really looking forward to getting hold of one of those manuals...

Thanks for your help.

Ian
archangel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi i have a similar prob with my turbo
i bought my delica last aug and would like to say its fantastic in fact i can say its fantastic but i've had a noise from the engine at 2500revs and it doesn't go unless i slow down below 50mph, any way i took it back to the place i got it from and they said it was these rubber sheets??? in the wheel arches so you might want to look there. any way when i looked there was a loose bit of rubber i fixed it with some new clips but this didnt make the noise go away my D has now been in the garage for over two weeks with out a turbo i'm getting a new one some time in the future i hope (if they pull their finger out) hope this is useful
iandennis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archangel:

Thanks for the tips. I think my noise may be something different, because my noise is gone by the time I get up to cruising speeds. It only really happens whilst accelerating at quite low speeds. At least, I hope it's different since I don't want to think of the cost of a new turbo. I don't understand the rubber sheet suggestion!!!

Thanks again for the info and good luck with your new turbo. Hope it fixes the problem.

Ian
archangel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rubber sheets are in the wheel arch at the back covering the shocks they are fitted to the body work with some black claps ??? they come loose and rub againts the back of the wheel making a noise abit like playing cards in the wheel of a bike any way thats what they told me at the garage. my turbo prob is realy their prob due to the fact that they sold me it broken it might just be being taken apart then put back together again. i dont think they will get me a new one (only in my dreams) do you know how much one would be?
Rustysparks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think you can fit one of these and a towbar at the same time. I know I had to take mine off when I fitted the towbar. (The sight of the rear bar is not missed - believe me )

I've got a towbar and the rear bar still on 8) and I can still get at the spare tyre Rolling Eyes Just one piece of advice..... If you take yours off-road as I do....Make sure you get the electric sockets etc as high as possible Embarassed Confused

The rubber sheets I assume Archangel is talking about, are the ones behind and at the back of the front tyres Question These do come loose quite easily and are easy to fasten back with self-tapers and penny washers in my case Wink
iandennis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archangel:
I don't know the price of a new turbo, but I saw this from jamie on this forum:
jamie_fixit wrote:
I am taking it off and delivering it to Turbo Dynamics in Christchurch who will either trade it in for about £575 (Mitsu's new price is about £675) or intitially try and fix it which is estimated at a couple of hundred quid or so.

Ian
hairyben

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustysparks wrote:
The rubber sheets I assume Archangel is talking about, are the ones behind and at the back of the front tyres Question These do come loose quite easily and are easy to fasten back with self-tapers and penny washers in my case Wink

mine took a zip tie on the side of the M40 after changing a puntured tyre... I thought it was the tyre that'd caused it.
Oldskool Beat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome iandennis,
Another strange noise that appears on the Delicas is from the air intake pipe, may not be your strainge noise but nice and cheap if it is Wink

Where the air filter is the pipe passes through the inner wing and makes a horrible rattle, I've stuck a tie wrap round the pipe to cure it and some others have used mastic, sponge etc, may not be your noise but worth checking Wink

As for your tow bar, I've got a different fitment to the e - bay one, so I aint much help there, sorry Rolling Eyes
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> DELICA technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: