Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

To buy or not to buy

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> DELICA technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willisa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 14:52    Post subject: To buy or not to buy Reply with quote

Hi everyone

We're in the process of upgrading our towcar (needs to tow a 17 ft caravan) and have a chance to buy a '94' L400 LWB Royal Exceed (2.8 TD auto). Now we'd never heard of these vehicles before and therefore totally ignorant of it's virtues and sins.

We have a few questions, perhaps some of you may know the ans.:

1 - How you pronounce the name?

2 - What's the difference between the Royal Exceed and the Super Exceed?

3 - What's the fuel consumption like? - especially if towing.

4 - what should we be aware off when looking at the car? Any known trouble spots/areas?

5 - Parts and servicing - how avaibable and accessible?

6 - Anyone tows a caravan with it - what's the torque like?

7 - Anything else we need to know about?

We are very tempted (love the size!) as we have been considering a Bighorn or a Discovery until this offer came up.

Many thanks Very Happy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 14:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Rustysparks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will open a bucket of worms with lots of opinions Shocked Laughing Wink
1/ I pronouce it: Del - leak - ah Question
2/ More standard equipment 8)
3/ Crying or Very sad I get about 25-26mpg solo Shocked (Mines a manual though)
4/ Usual things, go over with a fine toothcomb, Idea AA inspection perhaps Question
5/ Any Mits dealer can at Main dealer prices Confused
6/ No problems there
7/ Anyone Question
Conclusion - Get one now!
astra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 16:28    Post subject: Re: To buy or not to buy Reply with quote

willisa wrote:

We're in the process of upgrading our towcar (needs to tow a 17 ft caravan) and have a chance to buy a '94' L400 LWB Royal Exceed (2.8 TD auto). Now we'd never heard of these vehicles before and therefore totally ignorant of it's virtues and sins.

go for it!!

we recently had the chance to upgrade our exceed to a royal exceed.. we've still not found all the toys on it!!

is wicked to drive - you probably won't even know that there is a caravan behind you Wink

virtues - comfort all the way baby.. definately a *great* vehicle to travel in - we always fight over who is going to drive! all the inside toys make it really relaxing.. twin stereo, climate control, suede effect seats (heated at the front) captains seats etc etc am sure you have looked over the spec of the Royal - which by the way are sooo hard to find!! we've seen 3 in the last 6 months, and only felt comfortable with the one we've now got (only just over a week ago)

sins - hmm a little heavy on the juice for our liking, regular services generally help and fuel additives. milners do cheaper than the dealer and acceptable quality spare parts.

overall, for a quality, spacious family travelling and towing vehicle, i don't think you can go far wrong with a delica, let alone a royal - the top of the range model. if it looks sound (bear in mind all the royals we saw were dirty looking inside despite a 'valet' Rolling Eyes and that it will clean up with some tlc at home) and it feels right, then trust your instincts and go for it! and enjoy enjoy enjoy Smile

welcome to the club!
willisa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies Smile. From reading the other posts on the forum, you all seem to love 'em Very Happy . I have to admit - OH is fairly smitten with it Wink.

It's not in imaculate condition as the fabric on the driver's seat is badly worn ( are spare seat covers available) and there are a few holes about the back where we think curtain rails once. One upper wing has been resprayed not very well Sad. On the other hand we may get it for £5000! (an old mate has imported it - it's a '94' and only just come in - not been for it's MOT or reg yet).

If we decide to go for it (and we are very tempted - especially as it's LWB), we'll get the RAC man to look it over.
Oldskool Beat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 17:48    Post subject: Re: To buy or not to buy Reply with quote

Hi and welcome,
I'm sure you'll get many replys to all your questions (you'll wish you never asked Laughing )

As for the answers;
willisa wrote:

Now we'd never heard of these vehicles before and therefore totally ignorant of it's virtues and sins.

Youre not the first, even if you take it to a garage with people in the trade they say what is it!

Quote:

1 - How you pronounce the name?

I Probably pronounce it wrong, we have had this discussion here before, but I say it the same as a Celica car is pronounced but with a 'D' Wink

Quote:

2 - What's the difference between the Royal Exceed and the Super Exceed?

Not forgetting the Exceed Wink
They are many extras added to standard models, but the Royal has a lot of bits that would be a probalem to add on later.
Main standard differences;
Super exceed comes with front/rear climate control where as the Exceed still has front/rear aircon.
I've got the super exceed with quite a few extras as standard so its not to different than a Royal Wink
The only differences between mine and the Royal are Heated front seats, Electric Curtains and different style carpet.
A couple of other bits on most (not all) are electric folding/heated mirrors, assisted sliding door closure.
If you go for the Royal you wont regret it, although the base models are by no means basic Wink

Quote:

3 - What's the fuel consumption like? - especially if towing.

Driving senceable Rolling Eyes I get 25mpg but can get it down to 20mpg Twisted Evil
Towing my 16ft caravan (its an old heavy one) I get 17mpg, and tows with no problem at all Wink

Quote:

4 - what should we be aware off when looking at the car? Any known trouble spots/areas?

Nothing I'm really aware off, I had trouble with warped brake discs, other than that the same as any other motor, just remember the engines can cost a lot to repair (you pay for quality Wink )

Quote:

5 - Parts and servicing - how avaibable and accessible?

No problems so far, worst i've had is waitting 2 weeks for the rear cup holder. Service parts next day delivery, including brake discs. Smile

Quote:

6 - Anyone tows a caravan with it - what's the torque like?

How much more torque would you want?
Cant think of many to beat it Wink (theres always a lorry Laughing )

Quote:

7 - Anything else we need to know about?

This site has no end of praise for them, If you can suffer the mpg go for it Wink

Quote:

We are very tempted (love the size!) as we have been considering a Bighorn or a Discovery until this offer came up.

Bighorn/Discovery/We don't use them sort of words round here Shocked Laughing Laughing

Bottom line......GO FOR IT Wink Laughing Laughing
Good Luck Very Happy
sambsam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aftermarket Seat covers are available in Japan

Don't know if these ones are to my taste but..........

http://www.hikariauto.co.jp/parts/z-pickup_seat/seat.htm

Pete Millis may be able to track some down as Hikari never answer any e-mails

astra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:07    Post subject: Re: To buy or not to buy Reply with quote

beat wrote:
The only differences between mine and the Royal are Heated front seats, Electric Curtains and different style carpet.

ROFL yeah.. i forgot to mention the *beep* pile carpet.. PMSL

at least my *beep* stays warm tho Razz

and the completely useless electric function on the curtains Rolling Eyes - have to get up and release all the tie backs first.. go to the front.. open them electrically.. then go and pin them all up with the poppers Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

unfortunately, all the royals that we've seen seem to have seen better days, the exceeds however seem to be well looked after, or at least properly valeted at the dealers!! Rolling Eyes ours is cool tho.. nothing that a good steam clean (when we get one next week!) won't sort out Smile

willisa - you don't seem phased at all tho mate, i wanted one that was sound and in good nick to start with, and that obviously was reflected in the price (7k) but if all it needs is a bit of tlc, a quick respray on one wing and a set of seat covers, then go for it Smile hehe

although us delica owners are bound to be a wee bit biased Wink
willisa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again everyone. I think we've decide to go for it. The specific one still needs to have it's MOT and reg etc. If anyone sees another LWB one - please let us know as we'd like to look at others.

Lisa
willisa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:14    Post subject: Re: To buy or not to buy Reply with quote

astra wrote:
willisa - you don't seem phased at all tho mate, i wanted one that was sound and in good nick to start with, and that obviously was reflected in the price (7k) but if all it needs is a bit of tlc, a quick respray on one wing and a set of seat covers, then go for it Smile

The price is right on this one - externally as you said we can get a repray etc. Apart for the state of the driver's seat and the few odd holes the rest is really tidy. Also we have 2 constantly shedding dalmations and 2 sticky fingered kids - what the chances of it staying immaculate it it was so in the first instance Rolling Eyes .

Dare I say - we're starting to get a wee bit excited Very Happy.

Thanks again - having this forum was a major deciding factor Very Happy.
astra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

willisa wrote:
Thanks again everyone. I think we've decide to go for it. The specific one still needs to have it's MOT and reg etc. If anyone sees another LWB one - please let us know as we'd like to look at others.

Lisa

your best bet is to go look at a members one that is near you Smile we're all very obliging when it comes to showing off our pride and joy's Wink

as you will soon find out Wink

woohoo.. 2 royals on the forum now! *grin*

btw.. what colour is it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks again - having this forum was a major deciding factor .

Made me decide on a number of things - none of them good Very Happy
Got to go now as the men in the white coats have arrived Evil or Very Mad
willisa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

astra wrote:
[btw.. what colour is it?

It's black over silver Smile.
astra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

willisa wrote:
astra wrote:
[btw.. what colour is it?

It's black over silver Smile.

cool Smile should polish up really nice then! first royal we saw was that colour Smile

we've just changed our black over grey exceed for our metallic green over grey royal.. am itching to get polishing all that chrome!!
Oldskool Beat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

astra wrote:
....... am itching to get polishing all that chrome!!

'Chrome' Your just showing off now Rolling Eyes Laughing

Just you wait....White ball-bars will come back in fasion, then you'll kick youself. (still, save use doing it Laughing )
astra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

beat wrote:
astra wrote:
....... am itching to get polishing all that chrome!!

'Chrome' Your just showing off now Rolling Eyes Laughing

Just you wait....White ball-bars will come back in fasion, then you'll kick youself. (still, save use doing it Laughing )

lmfao

gonna spray yours white at the next meet.. then run away very very fast Twisted Evil Wink

pmsl
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> DELICA technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: