Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Overheating Issue

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
islandtuner

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 15:46    Post subject: Overheating Issue Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm new here. My wife has a 2000 Mitsubishi Pajero io. Now, here's where the problem started. First of all, she bought the car brand new off of the lot so we have been the only owners. We have never had any problems with the car so I am assuming that since it is at the 10 year mark with just over 70,000 miles on it, some things are beginning to wear and tear. So, it started sometime back, maybe 2 or 3 months ago I noticed she started to go beyond the halfway mark on the thermometer. So I immediately pulled to the side turned it off, let it cool and filled the radiator. So after that incident I thought that because it was my wifes car, she hadn't checked her fluid levels in a while. So....we started using her car to carpool everyday. About 4 days later, I noticed, sitting in traffic, she started to overheat again so, I pulled over and did the routine. When I got home, I did a more thorough check and I noticed a hairline crack in the top tank of the radiator. I got that sorted out.

So after that was done, I refilled and in driving again, I noticed when I had stopped and sat in traffic for a while the temp started to creep up again. So I'm like WTF!!!??? So I pulled over, let it cool and refilled. Got home and I noticed that the overflow reservoir (OFR) was full, so I thought, okay....there's a block somewhere. I took out the thermostat, and low and behold, the thermostat was done. Okay, so got that replaced.

Back to driving, and the MO FO heats up again. Pull over, and noticed that the OFR  was full again. So the only thing I'm thinking now is that the waterpump went kapoot. I bought a new pump, but haven't installed it as yet. Is there anything else that I should look out/check for and how hard is it to change the waterpump. I am hoping it's not like my other cars that I have had where I had to remove the timing belt just to change the waterpump. And can you guys point me to a thread about waterpump installation? Getting tired of having to pop the hood every morning to refill the radiator.

Thanks a mil in advance!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 15:46    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Walt

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the club mate,

when u lose water, do you actually see water on the road? if not when u refilled the radiator with coolant, did you get rid of air lock?  the reservoir getting full can be a sign of air lock in the system.

When the water pump goes, the gasket inside the water pump will let water escape on the road, so you will know that the water pump is kapoot.

I will do a few simple thing: check the rad cap, get rid of air lock from the system. make sure all hoses and pipes are in good condition.

try these first b4 attempting the water pump.

hope it helps
v8 rick
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

what engine is it ? , sometimes if the waterpump leaks you wont see anything as the leaking water gets evaporated on the hot engine block .

rick.
islandtuner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. There isn't any water on the road/carport. After driving I don't smell any coolant burning. The engine is 4 cylinder. I'm not sure how many litres right now. I have looked in the area of the waterpump after driving and I see no sign of a leak. How do you get rid of "airlock"?
Walt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of threads on how to get air lock out.  the simplest way is to leave the rad cap in the driver seat over night, during night all trapped air will escape, in the morning just top it up with coolant or the right mixture, keep doing it for the next few nights, until you don't need to top up with coolant.
Walt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOW TO GET AIRLOCK OUT
by Responder:

Top up with coolant replace cap, run engine for 10 15 mins ,if you have ramps or something simular get front end as high as possible
stop engine and allow the water pressure to go say 5 mins, Carefully remove rad cap and put it on drivers seat.
Now leave overnight. This will allow any trapped air to escape to the top of your rad, In morning check rad level should see that the level as dropped quite a bit (if you did have an airlock) top up again and drop off ramps, allow to run with cap on for a while.
Take for a run keep a check on temp gauge. if all ok return home job done.

When finished with truck for the day suggest you remove rad cap for two or three days overnight and follow the above without ramps etc.
do this for a day or two checking you levels at night then in morning if levels have stayed put then job done..

*********** this is a good thread by Responder ***************** follow this m8
islandtuner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 0:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

The radiator cap seems good. It has never been changed though, in the 10 years we had the car. So you would suggest changing the cap?
Walt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold the cap with two hands and press the bottom with two thumbs see that it moves freely - check the rubber around it for any damage or worn - keep it if u think it is good.  I haven't seen ur truck m8, but it seems u do have air lock, I would try the above to get the air lock out of the system first.
islandtuner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay. well when i get a chance imma take some pics of it
islandtuner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, Here is a pic of the engine and Radiator cap.
Pardon the appearance of the engine. I haven't serviced it as yet. I usually clean the engine once I'm done servicing it.
And the engine is 4G18
BIG RED

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like that seal on the rad caps damaged.
Walt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIG RED wrote:
looks like that seal on the rad caps damaged.

yes BIG RED is right, get a genuine Mitsu rad cap, get the air lock out and you should be sorted m8  Wink

your engine is a LOT cleaner than mine  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
islandtuner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys.
robina

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 13:38    Post subject: Overheating Reply with quote

We have a 2800 Pajero with overheating issues. Fuel pump replaced. Garage diagnosis is head gasket. How do we check that please. .
She has smoked from the exhaust when starting for the last 6 yrs and otherwise runs well with no power issues, so don't want to scrap her if it's not head gasket

thanks
robina
Craig-SM

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check for exhaust gases in the coolant. A simply test is just removing the radiator cap and then with the engine running look for bubbles of exhaust coming up from the radiator. Cylinder heads have a habit of of cracking so don't just have the gasket replaced without having the head checked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: